Great British Locomotives

EddieB

The benzene compounds the lead was replaced with are no better - maybe even worse. Benzene is a carcinogen....

Lead was also used as a protection for electrical cables and the weights in Dublo locomotives are made of guess what... (Trix as well I think.) Early Dinky Toys were also made of it.

Of course, it's still used for roof flashing. When we bought our present house we found we had a leak from the kitchen bow window. Investigation found there was no roofing material (nicked?). Our neighbours have lead flashing, but on discovering the price, we now have a bitumen based replacement.

Edited by Il Grifone

Just looked on the E-Bay link and the message appears; "This listing was ended by the seller because there was an error in the listing", which is a euphemism if ever there was one. At least this particular racketeer was been stopped for the time being.

• Like 2

Just looked on the E-Bay link and the message appears; "This listing was ended by the seller because there was an error in the listing", which is a euphemism if ever there was one. At least this particular racketeer was been stopped for the time being.

Might be something to do with the fact that quite a few people have reported him.....

To conclude this lead topic hopefully which Smiffy started - it reminds me of a wonderful line from a Laurel & Hardy film in which Stan(?) says "You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must always be lead..." - brilliant stuff! :jester:

IIRC it's from "Brats" - the film in which Stan and Ollie also play their own children! (And yes,it is said by Stan).

Of course,pencil lead isn't lead at all - it's graphite.

• Like 1

Guys, guys, guys!!!

L@@K!! Speshulley from Oz! Missing that elusive model? L@@k  no further, here they are, at affordable prices, not even Mr Diffen this time Ivan!

Tongue v. much in cheek, but the listing are real!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Coronation-AND-THE-DUCHESSClass-1947-Ex-LMS-stanier-Class-5MTBlack-Five4-6-0-/321640251635?pt=AU_Toys_Hobbies_Model_Railways&hash=item4ae340c0f3

cheers from Oz, land of opportunity!

Peter C.

I'd lost track and forgotten that the new model is due. :O :nono:

SWMBO can get it for me - it's my birthday on Thursday! (Love pressies!). I'll give her the good news later or maybe tomorrow morning, when we get to Asda.. :sungum:

I now have about a couple of dozen of these things to motorise. The A4, Coronation and 4MT are no real problem* (started but not completed - of course!), but I wonder how many will actually get done. A T9 is a fairly high priority. :locomotive: :senile:

*Dublo chassis, but they aren't quite a straight fit - I don't want to carve a slot in the 4MT bunker for example.

Edited by Il Grifone

Guys, guys, guys!!!

L@@K!! Speshulley from Oz! Missing that elusive model? L@@k  no further, here they are, at affordable prices, not even Mr Diffen this time Ivan!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Coronation-AND-THE-DUCHESSClass-1947-Ex-LMS-stanier-Class-5MTBlack-Five4-6-0-/321640251635?pt=AU_Toys_Hobbies_Model_Railways&hash=item4ae340c0f3

Peter C.

Not quite clear - it would appear that, despite the heading, you only get a Black 5 for this bargain price? :scratchhead:

Guys, guys, guys!!!

*facepalm*

Yes, it will be the 21st. The Peak was released on January 7th. The 5MT will be February 4th. Publication is generally on the first and third Wednesday of each month.

So maybe the King Arthur will be February 18th...

I need some encouragement...

A fine example of chimping on the T9 backdating. Spot the deliberate mistake...

post-17799-0-96804400-1421154594_thumb.jpg

post-17799-0-74758400-1421154628_thumb.jpg

You can see what I've done. There is a ridge on the Hornby chassis onto which I fitted the GBL tender body. I should have removed that ridge and set the body lower.

I think I can fix it, but I'm not sure how successful it will be.

An order to Peter's Spares for a new underframe and out with the razor saw...

I've said it before, but I will repeat myself.

Just as long as the 'Arthur' isn't 'Sir Dinadan'!

I thought  I wasn't wrong about the 'C' not being due - oh well I'll just have to get her as a late birthday present. Probably the confusion arose because the BR mogul was announced early (just to keep us on our toes?).

Edited by Il Grifone

• RMweb Premium

Dick,

did you stick the chassis to the body? If you can get them apart it should be quite easy to shave the that ridge off. It looks like you might have made the body a tad to short too, the front edge of the frames are naked. But if you cut them off, no-one will notice, and I won't tell!

If you really do chimp it up, I'll happily take the knackered chassis off your hands ;-)

Andy G

• Like 1

I've got the frames off and made a false base, should be able to bodge that. Making static models is easy!

The front is a problem, and I think may be due to a design difference in the tenders, but it's a hard place to see on photos and Russell isn't very helpful. The frames are too long, but the tender footplate is in the right place. Overall the length seems OK (I'll check it later). I think that some bodging might work there, as well, as it's essentially hidden.

I'm trying to change this one, and I'll do some photos in a moment, but I've discovered that the Hornby chassis side frames are separate pieces - if I'd known that at the beginning it would have made things easier - so I've made a plastikard floor to take the side frames and the axle supports.

I can get the necessary parts easily enough, but a new tender is coming in at twice the cost of the GBL in the first place! But in general the prototype is a learning experience and is expendable.

The knackered chassis is now dust and splinters, I'm afraid!

You should see the fun I'm having with an E2...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Ah the joys of bodging!

Could it be that the dimension issue is actually in the lining up of the wheelbase? Is the front axle to far forward? There seems to be something not quite right there. The rear axle seems a long way from the rear of the body.

Heres a Hornby T9 tender to compare:

post-8375-0-86232700-1421166331.jpg

Nothing you won't be able to sort out mind!

(If the pile of dust has the bits that support the axles and has the pick-ups still they will be useable, as I have to put different sideframes on anyway!)

Andy G

Looking at the drawings in Russell (p207) both the tender body and frames are about spot on except for the projection at the front behind the steps, which needs removing. The wheels are correct to within less than a millimetre. The central wheel isn't quite in the centre of the tender in the drawing, a matter of five real-life inches.

So the frames needs to come back a smidgin. It doesn't help that the buffer beam is off at the moment, so there's nothing for the frames to butt up against. I think the buffer beam has to go on next.

I wish I'd got a whole Hornby tender, but since the GBL model came out they've been rare!

• RMweb Premium

The 6 wheel tenders have always been like rocking horse doings.... I've been trying to find them for my HR Bens and Barneys for several years now!

Strange that the Hornby tender is wrong, but it works for HR ones!

Andy G

But isn't this the value of these models for those of us who aspire to be modellers, to develop skills and acquire something a bit different from RTR? If mistakes are made, they can usually be corrected with filler or plastic strip, and it hasn't cost a fortune. And the second attempt is better than the first. Keep on chimping, Dick, and posting your efforts.

• Like 2