Great British Locomotives

EddieB

Pedantic points time!

As the prototype was outshopped in March 1948 and the model represents her in as built condition, shouldn't her number be E 532*? It's nice to see valve gear where the crossheads are in the correct position for once, though the return cranks are as usual in the wrong angle (or angles as they are different!).

Now I don't really need another East Coast Pacific, but......

* It's touchy as the decision on BR numbering was taken in March 1948 as well. I hope I'm wrong, as it will save me having to renumber.

The livery and condition is correct for the first year. Blue Peter was outshopped in apple green numbered 60532. The GBL model is also correct with the paired number on the front buffer beam. 60532 was painted BR green in Sept 1949 when it was fitted with a double chimney and multiple valve regulator. Interesting that GBL have picked this livery and it is historically correct when there were so many options to get this wrong! I don' t know if Bachmann produced a version on 60532 in this livery and with a single chimney.

I like the idea of using the boiler to build an A2/2 perhaps using a V2 cab.

My A2 tender is already a runner, using parts from my previous rebuild work. The body mods are straightforward to allow fitting of my Triang X04 powered chassis, re wheeled etc. I may have a running A2 fairly soon.

Cheers

Shane

• Like 2

How wrong would grafting in the A3 firebox, from the boiler of issue 3, be? It would solve that very bizarre boiler overhang on the GBL A2. A lot of fittings will need repositioning I'm sure but would the shape be right?

How wrong would grafting in the A3 firebox, from the boiler of issue 3, be? It would solve that very bizarre boiler overhang on the GBL A2. A lot of fittings will need repositioning I'm sure but would the shape be right?

You may end up with a firebox that is too small.

Just picked up my a2 from smiths Stourbridge...reserved from yesterday, I was on a northern railtour so unable to purchase on day of release. Two things...excellent service from my local smiths, and secondly what a great model. For less than a cup of coffee and sandwich on yesterday's tour!

• Like 2

personally i would just live with the firebox, either that or see if it is possible to shave it down a bit using a scalpel but will have to actually get the loco, we shall see

gary

The livery and condition is correct for the first year. Blue Peter was outshopped in apple green numbered 60532. The GBL model is also correct with the paired number on the front buffer beam. 60532 was painted BR green in Sept 1949 when it was fitted with a double chimney and multiple valve regulator. Interesting that GBL have picked this livery and it is historically correct when there were so many options to get this wrong! I don' t know if Bachmann produced a version on 60532 in this livery and with a single chimney.

I like the idea of using the boiler to build an A2/2 perhaps using a V2 cab.

if I had waited a week or two and knowing the provenance of this moulding that is what I would have done. It would have saved a lot of effort, although not completely straightforward

Can anyone help with info advice...I have just received a Lord Nelson tender bogie chassis. I have placed the GBL on top...the rear bogie seems to be fouling the rear tender steps on curves...is that a feature on the Bachmann version? I ask having never owned an example...look forward to any replies advice etc

How wrong would grafting in the A3 firebox, from the boiler of issue 3, be?

You may end up with a firebox that is too small.

No 'may' about it, the A3 firebox proportions are smaller reflecting the smaller grate area. Just right for an A1/1 of course.

Can anyone help with info advice...I have just received a Lord Nelson tender bogie chassis. I have placed the GBL on top...the rear bogie seems to be fouling the rear tender steps on curves...is that a feature on the Bachmann version?

Probably on the original model the steps were provided as optional components for the user to fit and trial against the layout minimum radius. Most steps which are positioned rigidly adjacent a bogie or pony truck wheelset will foul on below scale curves: that's anything scaling under the four to six chains (40 to 60 inches radius in OO) that locomotives of the size to have carrying wheels were in reality restricted to.

Now have my second A2, will have a third when the subs copy eventually turns up.

I was having some musings while having lunch and wondering whst I can create with the Eastern GBL offerings.

I have two A4's but they're sorted for what I want to do with them, a number of V2's one of which has been modified with a GBL A4 boiler and smokebox. Now what I am thinking of is this, can I recreate an A1 using the GBL A2 body and running plate, and the chassiss components left over from an A3? Not looked at it properly yet but is it doable?

Likewise a V2 to an A2/1 using A2 chassis and other bits. Not looking to have running models but my own version of GBL static siding fillers.

Thoughts anyone?

Cheers

Shane

• Like 2

WHS Ealing tell me they don't carry GBL any more. They did have one come in, but that was a customer subscription, and was picked up almost immediately.

Looks like a trip to Asda, then.

..........can I recreate an A1 using the GBL A2 body and running plate, and the chassiss components left over from an A3? Not looked at it properly yet but is it doable?

Likewise a V2 to an A2/1 using A2 chassis and other bits. .....

Release your inner Hayden Reed.

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 1

Who's Hayden Reed?

Hayden Reed was quite prominent in the pages of Railway Modeller in the 1980s, recreating a Gresley P1 and various Thompson Pacifics by ingenious sawing/cutting/shutting of the Hornby A3 shell plus other bits neatly shoved in.

I think he's still very much alive and knocking around on the model railway circuit.

• Like 1

Trip to Asda, but Blue Peter had already sailed away*  :(

Perhaps I'll find one in Kent on Saturday - It's a waste of time looking this size of the river.

* Yes, I know she's actually named after a racehorse!

• Like 1

... Now what I am thinking of is this, can I recreate an A1 using the GBL A2 body and running plate, and the chassis components left over from an A3?...

The A1 and A2 are essentially the same locomotive design on 6'8" and 6'2" drivers. Easy to appreciate if you obtain an A1 drawing, The A2 should scale 7mm shorter than the A1 in 4mm/ft, and the GBL A2 is close to scale, short about 1mm on scale length overall. That doesn't of course mean that all the proportions are correct throughout for the A2, so measure carefully to add the additional length where it best moves the components toward A1 proportions.

Hayden Reed was quite prominent in the pages of Railway Modeller in the 1980s, recreating a Gresley P1 and various Thompson Pacifics by ingenious sawing/cutting/shutting of the Hornby A3 shell plus other bits neatly shoved in.

I think he's still very much alive and knocking around on the model railway circuit.

Ah yes, I remember. That's exactly the essence I am planning to create. Very good representions given the basic nature. And I mean that in a good way.

Cheers

Shane

• Like 2

The A1 and A2 are essentially the same locomotive design on 6'8" and 6'2" drivers. Easy to appreciate if you obtain an A1 drawing, The A2 should scale 7mm shorter than the A1 in 4mm/ft, and the GBL A2 is close to scale, short about 1mm on scale length overall. That doesn't of course mean that all the proportions are correct throughout for the A2, so measure carefully to add the additional length where it best moves the components toward A1 proportions.

Without delving to deeply into this, I think the A1 smokebox is slightly longer and some of the front end detail is slightly difference, to take into account the larger wheel diameter which would set it higher than an A2 if the same proportions were to be used. It'll be a near enough A1.

Cheers

Shane

The A1 and A2 are essentially the same locomotive design on 6'8" and 6'2" drivers. Easy to appreciate if you obtain an A1 drawing, The A2 should scale 7mm shorter than the A1 in 4mm/ft, ....

Main differences are in length of smokebox (A1 much longer), and driving wheelbase as well as driving wheel diameter.

Having just returned from  holiday (and away from wi-fi) I'd rather lost the plot about GBL release dates, so when I caught up with this thread and saw the A2 photos posted (Bachmann clone rather than Trix) I thought I'd be too late to get one. However, a quick trip to Asda revealed just one on the shelf which I immediately snaffled. Excellent, up with the best they've done imho.

And a good magazine, covering the LNER pacific story post Gresley, with some good tales as well. Doesn't say who wrote it but informative without taking sides.

• Like 2

2 maybe apocryphal but amusing stories in the magazine are:

Shed staff realising that an A2/2 pacific had the longest smokebox of any LNER locomotive. When the engine was stuck at the back of the shed, a large card school could be hidden inside it.

An A2/1 when first fitted with electric lighting was stopped by a signalman because no headlamp was visible (as required by the rules).  Unfortunately an oil lamp couldn't be fitted as there were (quite logically) no lamp irons...  so back to the works it had to go.

There is also a measured description of the A1/1, supposedly a rebuild of Great Northern (which resulted  in howls of protest of "sacrilege!"  from pro-Gresley enthusiasts when "rebuilt"). However the point is made that the frames from 4470 which had been repaired as  many A3 frames needed to be, went into the Doncaster frame pool and were used again. The A1/1 had new frames/cylinders with an A4 boiler, so was to all intents and purposes a new loco. It is also pointed out that the loco performed well, but with a lot of maintenance. It was going to be the Peppercorn regime that produced the definitive A1 with low maintenance costs (really down to the shorter frames).

One more point was that the Peppercorn A2s   which came out before the A1s of course, would have been better if they had all had double chimneys like the A1s (and indeed the Thompson pacifics). There's quite a lot on that.

There, and I got all that from the magazine, with it's rather good potted analysis of later LNER pacific development, written in a very readable style.  Haven't had to look at RCTS LNER 2A  at all (but probably will read that on A1/A2s now!) 

• Like 4

A quick bodge with some GBL A4 undergubbins, bit of saw work on the A2 running plate and the beginnings of an A1 emerge. No pics at the moment but I'll come back to it in a couple of weeks, unless I have time over the weekend..

Cheers

Shane

• Like 3