Level crossing stupidity...

• RMweb Premium

Up until 2006 maps and aerial photos had military bases 'blanked out' as it was felt that maps and or photos would be of use to our enemies. I have some RAF OS maps from the late 80's or early 90's and they make interesting viewing.

• RMweb Premium

Up until 2006 maps and aerial photos had military bases 'blanked out' as it was felt that maps and or photos would be of use to our enemies. I have some RAF OS maps from the late 80's or early 90's and they make interesting viewing.

Though the suspiciously blank areas with roads and even railway lines leading to them weren't exactly subtle.

• RMweb Premium

The absence of Fylingdales from maps of the North York Moors was one of the more notorious examples of that - visible for miles but not shown on the OS map.

And as we now know the Soviets did a impressive amount of their own cartography in the UK anyway.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Rather sad item from across the pond as the person who was killed had obviously got an interest in and presumably knowledge of railways.

http://www.vvng.com/oro-grande-hawaiian-man-killed-photographing-train-idd/

Jamie

As I understand it he was Hawaiian so may have had little if any experience of railways as apart from museums railways no longer exist in Hawaii.

• RMweb Premium

As I understand it he was Hawaiian so may have had little if any experience of railways as apart from museums railways no longer exist in Hawaii.

I inferred his knowledge from the fact that he was photographing stored freight cars.   However it's a very tragic incident especially as his wife was in the car near where it happened and may have witnessed it.  

Jamie

https://www.facebook.com/CesarHVHV/videos/920490334765583/

Bloody hell that's going fair old speed - there's an interesting story somewhere accompanied with that - wonder if stopped by itself or hit anything else?

Just to answer myself found this extra video and someone in the comments said they collided with some other wagons killing one person in the process :(

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=920490791432204&id=128950430586248

• RMweb Premium

Another apparent failure to correctly operate a User Worked Crossing correctly: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-suffolk-41628421

Given that the article doesn't say anything about the cause, along with the number of cases mentioned in this thread where the error has been on the signaller's side, isn't it a bit early to come to such a conclusion?

Given that the article doesn't say anything about the cause, along with the number of cases mentioned in this thread where the error has been on the signaller's side, isn't it a bit early to come to such a conclusion?

A failure by the signaller would still be a failure to operate the crossing correctly.

• RMweb Premium

A failure by the signaller would still be a failure to operate the crossing correctly.

Fair point. I was just thinking of the user not working the user worked crossing correctly.

A car hitting a train (or vice versa) on a crossing in an indication of incorrect use. It is often the case that there is no single element that results in an incident.

Or a wrong-side failure of the equipment, surely?

• RMweb Gold

Fair point. I was just thinking of the user not working the user worked crossing correctly.

Or a wrong-side failure of the equipment, surely?

Which is not a single reason. There has to be a combination of things that reveal a wrong side failure. Wrong side failures that are reported by people have been seen by people. This does not mean to say that every wrong side failure has been seen by anybody.

• RMweb Premium

Which is not a single reason. There has to be a combination of things that reveal a wrong side failure. Wrong side failures that are reported by people have been seen by people. This does not mean to say that every wrong side failure has been seen by anybody.

OK I was disagreeing with the suggestion that if a train hits a car on a level crossing that indicates incorrect use, not the comment about often there being no single element.

However, I've heard of solder whiskers causing intermittent wrong-side failures and that could be seen as a single cause.

OK I was disagreeing with the suggestion that if a train hits a car on a level crossing that indicates incorrect use, not the comment about often there being no single element.

However, I've heard of solder whiskers causing intermittent wrong-side failures and that could be seen as a single cause.

Its a user worked crossing, there arent any 'solder whiskers'.

• RMweb Premium

Its a user worked crossing, there arent any 'solder whiskers'.

I thought I was responding to a comment on level crossings in general. My mistake perhaps.

But anyway - don't some UWC's have red/green lights and the like? Or are they called something else then?

• RMweb Gold

I thought I was responding to a comment on level crossings in general. My mistake perhaps.

But anyway - don't some UWC's have red/green lights and the like? Or are they called something else then?

Some have Miniature Warning Lights (MWLs) or Miniature Stop Lights (MSLs) that are embedded within the signalling system. The latest MSLs to hit the market are overlays to the existing signalling system and are completely stand alone from it and are therefore much cheaper to install. See EbiGate 200 or Vamos by Schweizer for further details.

I can understand that people might feel a bit daft standing a white line waiting for the barriers to drop when the siren starts, but given that there is a footbridge right next to the crossing then they don't actually need to do that, they can cross safely anyway.  Most of them seemed perfectly able-bodied so it really just comes down to pig-headed laziness.

As 96701 says, a couple of lifts to enable those of restricted mobility to use the elevated crossing and not only is the risk to pedestrians permanently eliminated, but they can get some useful extra exercise as well!