W S Gilbert put it even better in Iolanthe:

The House of Lords throughout the war

Did nothing in particular

And did it very well.

I hope I'm not violating the no-politics rule by adding:

When in that House, MP's divide,

If they've a brain and cerebellum too,

They have to leave that brain outside,

And vote just as their leaders tell 'em to.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Coryton said:

Yes, as W.S. Gilbert tells us, politics has been "broken" for a very long time.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Coryton said:

One of my favourite songs from G & S.   My late father sang that one in a production of Iolanthe when I was a few months old.   However W S Gilbert's lyrics were such biting satire aimed at various members of the establishment that it is commonly said that he did not get a knighthood because of who he had satirised whereas Sullivan got one for the music.    Gilbert's line in the Mikado are very good:-

Idiots who in Railway carriages

Scribble on window panes

May only suffer to ride on a buffer

in Parliamentary trains.

There's I've tried to get the thread back towards railways.

Jamie

• Like 5

23 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

One of my favourite songs from G & S.   My late father sang that one in a production of Iolanthe when I was a few months old.   However W S Gilbert's lyrics were such biting satire aimed at various members of the establishment that it is commonly said that he did not get a knighthood because of who he had satirised whereas Sullivan got one for the music.    Gilbert's line in the Mikado are very good:-

Scribble on window panes

in Parliamentary trains.

Jamie

Only time will tell if you've been successful :)

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Wickham Green said:

Placement is a bit odd ........ anyone driving towards the camera would probably stop a little short of the sign - just where the railway railroad track is !

We had exactly the same problem with early AHB crossings. The offside lights were originally mounted on the back of the opposite direction nearside lights.

You can see the modification on this drawing. The lighter patch shows where the lights were removed..

DSC00024

• Informative/Useful 3

We had exactly the same problem with early AHB crossings. The offside lights were originally mounted on the back of the opposite direction nearside lights.

As they are in many countries, and just like road traffic lights which drivers seem to understand.

Regards

• Like 2

On 27/02/2019 at 10:42, jamie92208 said:

Scribble on window panes

in Parliamentary trains.

Jamie

"I hate these long train journeys."

"Stop writing on the glass with your finger."

"Well, there's nothing else for me to do."

"I know, but they're my spectacles..."

- The Men from the Ministry

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, bobthesod4479 said:

Apologies in advance for being awkward! but does anyone recall the video of the nutcase that nearly got took out when filming at a level crossing? urgen problem cropped up otherwise i would have trawled through the whole thread!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Roof surfing? 

There were reports in the late 80s or early 90s of a body being found hanging from the side of a two deck car carrier having been electrocuted. He was breaking in to new cars on the top and stealing the radios, the evidence being welded to his chest. It was assessed he'd come into close proximity to the HV under a bridge.

It was local news to me, so ECML in Herts or Midland in Herts or Beds. I'm dredging but the train may have been stopped at Hatfield.

• Agree 1

As I understand it, one was found, alight, on top of a container train (after a report by the driver of a passing train). The other was found trackside, potentially after having fallen off. What they were doing up there is anybody's guess, but it makes another two for Darwin. Hopefully the message will get around their friends that 25kV really does bite and is too much of a risk to be played around with. (You can tell some people that an activity is dangerous any number of times, but unless it is demonstrably dangerous by virtue of people, is your mates, getting killed and not getting away with it, there will be people prepared to take the risk as a means of showing off.)

Jim

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, daveyb said:

Roof surfing? 

There were reports in the late 80s or early 90s of a body being found hanging from the side of a two deck car carrier having been electrocuted. He was breaking in to new cars on the top and stealing the radios, the evidence being welded to his chest. It was assessed he'd come into close proximity to the HV under a bridge.

It was local news to me, so ECML in Herts or Midland in Herts or Beds. I'm dredging but the train may have been stopped at Hatfield.

I also heard about that and was told that it was a Ford train from IIRC Dagenham where the sidings had been recently electrified.  I seem to remember that it was stopped at Peterborough but it was definitely on the ECML.  There were other radios stacked nearby.

These incidents are very sad for the miscreants families but I'm afraid my sympathy goes out to the poor people who have to deal with the incident.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Agree 11

• RMweb Premium

Apparently they used to wait were the train was going very slow, jump aboard and proceed to remove the car radios. The favourite spot for boarding the train was where the line crossed the Liverpool Street lines at Forest Gate. This particular incident was about 35 years ago, and it was discussed in the model railway club. One member asked "Where they black?" to which the answer was "They are now."

• RMweb Gold
On 20/03/2019 at 10:22, jwealleans said:

Thurston.  I remember seeing that for the first time - it made me wince and I wasn't within 200 miles of it happening.

Elmswell rather than Thurston

• Friendly/supportive 1

We had a few at Rugby in the 1970s when I worked there, people nicking bits off Hillman Imps on the double deck Cartics. they'd lift the bonnet up to nick the battery and zappp.

• Like 1