Can wasps fly upside-down?

Pennine MC

Dont know how I've managed to spend more than ten minutes on the absolutely infuriatingly illogical RailScot site without pitching something through the window*, but this shunter struck me as unusual, plus the shot itself is full of fascination:

D2737 at Kelvin Hall

* Due thanks to Jamie, who pointed the right direction but obviously didnt design the indexing system ;)

Happy New Year Mr P. I thought perhaps you were still on the falling over water and was about to give you the prize for the daftest question ever....biggrin.gif ......but what a great picture and there's a scene just waiting to be modelled.

Love it!

A great phot with alsorts of interesting features.

The date is also earlier than I remember seeing 'Wasp Stripes' on locos, the stripes are 'upside down' and the yellow / black proportion is also different to other photos I've seen

Thanks for sharing

Andrew

Interesting to see the bricked-up window apertures in the water-tower, due to local vandals???.

Also what was the little brick built compound at the platform end used for? I don't recall seeing such a feature elsewhere, (But I'm not noted for my powers of observation! :rolleyes: )

Dont know how I've managed to spend more than ten minutes on the absolutely infuriatingly illogical RailScot site without pitching something through the window*, but this shunter struck me as unusual, plus the shot itself is full of fascination:

D2737 at Kelvin Hall

* Due thanks to Jamie, who pointed the right direction but obviously didnt design the indexing system ;)

From one who has spent dangerous amounts of time in yon site:

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete2.php?id=14380

Kenton references this photo of D2754 at Haymarket, that shows downward pointing wasp stripes, on his NBL 0-4-0 shunter blog. The date is 7th July 1960.

It would be interesting to know why the upward pointing stripes were selected over the downward pointing variety, and what locos were involved in the trials.

Cheers,

James

PS I haven't been on RailScot for ages. Now I remember why. What's with the %^&*@! awful automatic browser resizing? Grrrr...

this shunter struck me as unusual, plus the shot itself is full of fascination:

D2737 at Kelvin Hall

Brilliant find there Ian.

That is the 3rd of these NBLs that there is photo evidence that they took part in the the "trials" D2709 and D2545 being the other 2.

Very strangely one from each lot of these produced.

The other photos have been black and white and the suggestion was that they were the black and white stripe experiment - with some degree of doubt. Though here we have D2737 in black and yellow. The date is at least earlier than D2745 but as mentioned on the blog - I was under the impression that these trials were "done deal" by that time.

I suppose I should have realised when the title was in the UK Prototype Section it wasn't going to be a serious Wheeltappers conumdrum.

But sticking with the Topic Title, there was a discussion many years ago as to how flies land on ceilings, do they barrel roll or do a backward flip..... I've forgotten which one won, but it took high speed movie cameras to decide.

BTW that's a great find of D2737, EDIT - I've just tried the RialScot site, won't be doing that again in a hurry.

Penlan

• RMweb Premium

A great phot with alsorts of interesting features.

The date is also earlier than I remember seeing 'Wasp Stripes' on locos, the stripes are 'upside down' and the yellow / black proportion is also different to other photos I've seen

Thanks for sharing

Andrew

Must be something about Scotland...........

The 06's had conventional spacing between the stripes, but they were at a much steeper angle than conventional stripes For example

Cheers,

Mick

Well now, I didnt realise myself what I'd found here; I expected to come back to find it had slipped off the page :lol: Glad it's gone down well, and also that it's filled in a blank for Kenton

Anyhoo, as shunter liveries are a bit of a Cinderella, maybe we could use this a repository for anything similarly related; to which end, I've brought these across from Chard's otherwise Waverley thread

First up, early Glasgow blue repaints with small arrers on the cabside:

This unidentified one clearly has red rods and cranks;

D3182 looks as though it might have and

D3877 I'm less sure of, though the red on the cranks looks too uneven to be painted thus and I think that (and the lack of red showing on the rods) is probably due to oil coverage

Next up, black 08s; these are the only two I currently know of on the Net:

D3052

and from our own Brush Veteran, D3170

The problem of course with pics of these is that a grotty black Gronk looks much the same as a grotty green Gronk; D3052 however looks pretty conclusive, D3170 less so but I'm counting the ferret and dartboard and pre-serif numbering style as strong circumstantial evidence

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived