RMweb

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

Whats a new build Castle then I don't understand.

The 46/47 'builds' with superheaters. Not really new I suppose? However, see below.

Edit: having checked my Longworth 'Bible'.

P

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

remember Tyseley's Defiant 5080 is at Quainton Road a good source for detail. 

My late father drove 5080 on one of those loco driving courses at Tyseley and I can still see the smile on his face when he'd finished.I'd do her too if she had a West Country connection.

Spitfire was originally called Clifford Castle and was built in 1938.

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Rob , bit late with this but hey ho , I dont have an Airfix Siphon G in shirtbutton , but I

do have a Lima .

Must be about right .

attachicon.gifDSCN3265.jpg

Having had a look at Russell's GWR coach book which includes the browns there

is a photo of the above vehicle with the same running number .

Bottom of page 229 .

• RMweb Gold

Having had a look at Russell's GWR coach book which includes the browns there

is a photo of the above vehicle with the same running number .

Bottom of page 229 .

Thanks Mike but its the outside framed version I wanted and John Lewis on the GWR elist has sorted me out.Its amazing considering how long both these models have been out that neither version has had a different GW livery applied by the manufacturer although to be fair Lima went bust.

• RMweb Gold

Imagine a siphon g to the same standard as the Hornby Southern van c or Bachmann luggage van.Instead we get warmed up late 1970s tat instead. :O

• RMweb Gold

Bit late in on this one but I'm booked in to the Pack Horse later this month for a few nights.  Guess the scandal and gossip will be rife? ;) I'll update proceedings when I get back after a few pints of well kept Otter. :D

As for Coventry City playing at Northampton Town-What a load of cobblers! ;) Shame really because Nene Park, home once to Rushen and Diamonds is vacant following Kettering Town's brief flirtation with the place.

Some really great shots Robin and the figure painting is excellent.  Perhaps you should do a blog entry on how you go about painting them?

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I played in goal as a 'dep' for Rushden Town (around 1976/77) before they amalgamated with Irthlingborough Diamonds. Great fun with travel by coach, spectators, 'proper' Refs, and food after the match.

6 games, no goals for the opposition I'm proud to say (however the defence was amazing and I spent much time admiring what was happening in front of me). Sadly I was then 'let go' as their First Team keeper's 'broken' arm had mended and they had signed a new Reserve keeper. I did then play for a lot of other teams for another 10 years (mainly London Old Boys League - old boys meaning ex pupils Mr Sweet not what you are about to write jolly japes about young man :laugh: ).

I have to be honest, they had been really desperate....... :read:

Mark, beware the scrumpy at the Packhorse mate.........3 or 4 pints of that and you will think you have copped the entire GWR loco fleet :swoon: 

Rob; OK so why are CC playing home games at the shoe factory?

Finally, have the 'sisters' seen the 'big tanky' yet?

P

• Like 1

As for Coventry City playing at Northampton Town-What a load of cobblers! ;) Shame really because Nene Park, home once to Rushen and Diamonds is vacant following Kettering Town's brief flirtation with the place.

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Mark - as you rightly point out, what a load of cobblers! 

I support Northampton Saints RFC and when home matches coincide with The Cobblers, parking around Jimmy's End is a real problem and it takes ages to get away from a match. With Cov City also "at home" at Sixfields it seems all weekends between September and May will have area gridlock, just what Northampton borough and supporters of all the games need. I also wonder about importing a few more trouble makers, we don't have much of an issue right now but I know how downright nasty opposing soccer fans can be to each other and this allows a third dimension into the whole thing.

• Like 1

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Mark - as you rightly point out, what a load of cobblers! 

I support Northampton Saints RFC and when home matches coincide with The Cobblers, parking around Jimmy's End is a real problem and it takes ages to get away from a match. With Cov City also "at home" at Sixfields it seems all weekends between September and May will have area gridlock, just what Northampton borough and supporters of all the games need.

Back on topic. Let the train take the strain - £9.90 return on Sunday 11 August for Coventry v Bristol City with delightful views of rolling Northamptonshire countryside thrown in too. I'm not sure if extra rolling stock will be needed to accomodate the travelling hordes from Coventry though.

• RMweb Premium

Back on topic. Let the train take the strain - £9.90 return on Sunday 11 August for Coventry v Bristol City with delightful views of rolling Northamptonshire countryside thrown in too. I'm not sure if extra rolling stock will be needed to accommodate the travelling hordes from Coventry though.

Ah, coal hoppers should suffice. :nono:

P

Ah, coal hoppers should suffice. :nono:

P

Covhops seem particularly appropriate in this case. Could be a named train the "CovHopper"? A revival of the "Sky Blue Specials" for "away" matches.

Edited by cary hill

• RMweb Gold

Covhops seem particularly appropriate in this case. Could be a named train the "CovHopper"? A revival of the "Sky Blue Specials" for "away" matches.

The amount of fans that I know will be going could be accommadated in a GW toad.Back on topic. :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Bit late in on this one but I'm booked in to the Pack Horse later this month for a few nights.  Guess the scandal and gossip will be rife? ;) I'll update proceedings when I get back after a few pints of well kept Otter. :D

Some really great shots Robin and the figure painting is excellent.  Perhaps you should do a blog entry on how you go about painting them?

Cheers,

Mark

Mark, beware the scrumpy at the Packhorse mate.........3 or 4 pints of that and you will think you have copped the entire GWR loco fleet :swoon:

Rob; OK so why are CC playing home games at the shoe factory?

Finally, have the 'sisters' seen the 'big tanky' yet?

P

Mark.Enjoy the Packhorse and have a cold cider for me.Well jealous.

Phil.Its a long story but basically the Ricoh owners are p***ed off with over £1.3M of unpaid rent owing and the club owners SISU being a bit deluded in thinking they can groundshare with Northampton for maybe 5 years whilst they build a new 12000 seat stadium of their own.Where's the money coming from Mr Fisher ?

I just can't see any City fans travelling for 'home' games but I suspect the away following to be of quite a few for league 1 on the assumption no money will be going into SISU coffers.Frankly its an embarrassing mess all round.I can't wait to see where the new ground will be Mr deluded.

• RMweb Gold

Especially for the ex goalie who requested the big tank thingy alongside the Finching sisters complete with a new smokebox door handle no less.It should blend in with weathering.

post-126-0-31007100-1374081679_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-27612400-1374081690_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-47973200-1374081700_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-26278700-1374081710_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-41006200-1374081720_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-69617200-1374081731_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-85205000-1374081740.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Nice views as always Rob, makes me green with envy :yes:

Can I ask please the source of the scale figures on the platform?

Many thanks,

Dave

Thanks Dave.They're all from the Monty's range.Zach Plunkett on the end is really  http://www.dartcastings.co.uk/montys/MCV26.php

Passengers here http://www.dartcastings.co.uk/montys.php

46444 commented earlier about the painting of them but I can't accept all the credit as some but not all came ready painted courtesy of that well known auction site

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

4th and 5th pics are excellent Rob. The sisters look suitably impressed.

Re the C C situation, where do these 'owners' get their brains from for goodness sake. What a complete shambles for you all.

Sincerely, Mitre Multiplex.

• RMweb Gold

Just seen a 3rd class railway ticket for Brent to Kingsbridge dated 1949 with a price of 2/7 .As I'm a relative youngster can someone tell me what that would cost today and a comparison with an everyday item you could buy for the same price back then.

• RMweb Gold

Just seen a 3rd class railway ticket for Brent to Kingsbridge dated 1949 with a price of 2/7 .As I'm a relative youngster can someone tell me what that would cost today and a comparison with an everyday item you could buy for the same price back then.

Direct comparisons are difficult because fares are no longer based on mileage but a reasonable comparison is probably Exeter St Davids - Exmouth which is vaguely similar but about a mile shorter and the single fare is £3.90