Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

I don't think this is a M set but the caption informs it's a D95 coach leading with eight coaches in total.

Courtesy of Robert Ferris.

attachicon.gifgwro1582.jpg

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwro1582.htm

With my GWR anorak on -  W5125W part of Lot 1384 to D95 nos. 5087-5132 completed by 30/06/1928 according to Harris and Russell.

• RMweb Gold

Careful what you wish for dear Robin...

Ok I wish for something like this...

Researching the 4 coach formation and found two cracking shots of the E128 bck that looks like being the fourth coach in the Comet build rake.

Preserved on the SDR

post-126-0-93714700-1391631858_thumb.jpg

A cracking model built by Killybegs of this parish for his now moved on model 'Clinkerford'.

post-126-0-38343300-1391631942_thumb.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 10

Any ideas on the diagrams used in an 'E' set then.Where's Chris F when I need him. ;)

Battersea beer festival!  A lad needs a day off once in a while ...

I think we are all agreed that the M Sets were composed BTK, TK, CK, BTK.  My view is that it matters little which diagrams were used provided that the number of seats was right.  The Bristol CWP for winter 1951-52 specified that an M Set should have 24 1st class seats and 152 3rd.  This works out at 2 4-compartment BTKs, 1 8-compartment TK and a CK with 4 1st class compartments and 3 3rd.  Once upon a time, maybe, the sets were neat and tidy but failures will happen.  Imagine the yard foreman cussing: "Oh bother!  This D95 is defective.  Unless another can be found the train will not run!"  He would use the next best available, of course.

That's a cracking pic of the South Devon's E128 above.  I last saw it behind the Dukedog on a photo charter a couple of years ago and failed to notice the extra double doors at the left hand end.  One day, perhaps, it will run around with seats inside instead of firewood.

Chris

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Chris.I was going to model the four coaches as such from the loco as D95/C54/E127/E128.Not sure what livery yet as they may have still had a shirtbutton in '47.

• RMweb Premium

I'm not sure that's how elephants should have traveled. Anyone got a Python A handy?

Is my memory playing tricks or did one of the big four have covered wagons used for elephants? I have in mind a photo of an elephant being led out by station staff or its trainer from the end doors of such a wagon...

That's a great photo! I love it. What diagram is that and is it by any chance available in kit form?, I've got an idea.......

• RMweb Gold

That's a great photo! I love it. What diagram is that and is it by any chance available in kit form?, I've got an idea.......

Don't go there and it's a LMS design anyway.I think.Modify the new Hornby CCT....

There you go Rob you could knock up a Circus train while you wait for your coaches to materialize. :D

I spend all week at a circus.I don't need to model one as well.

• RMweb Gold

A whole herd of elephants just alighted from their train and fraternising with some horses here and some different rolling stock: (towards bottom):http://www.nfa.dept.shef.ac.uk/jungle/index3c6.html

That Bostocks wagon is Mikkel's next project ! A joint European project from the Dutch and Danes. :no:

• RMweb Gold

Cracking photo...  The wee chap by the (Bedford?) van seems to look non too pleased (perhaps he's the one who has to clean out the coaching stock afterwards :D

Cleaning out the stock after elephants were carried was reportedly a highly prized job according to those who managed to get it - elephant poo is reputedly even better than horse poo as a fertiliser for the growing of roses. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Cleaning out the stock after elephants were carried was reportedly a highly prized job according to those who managed to get it - elephant poo is reputedly even better than horse poo as a fertiliser for the growing of roses. 

ISTR it's also quite good for warding off lions, who are wary of elephants. Not sure how many RMwebbers will find this useful....

Somewhere there is a photo of an GWR bogie vehicle (Monster? Siphon?) which was specially strengthened to carry elephants .... One of Russell's books, perhaps? When I have more time, I'll check it out.

David C

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think I've got the touch of an elephant.Using a centre punch to mark the vents on a Comet roof and I've overdone the hammer.It's dented now.Need a fresh one me thinks.What a muppet.It was going so well too.

• RMweb Premium

It's no better nor worse - both and most others still needa month or two to calm down before application - only llama/alpaca manure can go straight on.

• RMweb Gold

Just use a piece of masking tape over where the hole is going then drill straight into the work, it works every time make sure you use a slow speed on drill to start with. :rolleyes:

Panic over I've managed to save it.33 years of engineering experience......

You might get some photos soon.

• RMweb Gold

Hence the old joke about the elephant that did a ton on the M1. Police were asking motorists to treat it as a sort of natural traffic island......

Are you sure it was the M1 and not a trunk road. :jester: