Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

I bet CK will neither confirm or deny, agree or disagree with that statement.

SWAGNET, the official Swagonian news agency could neither confirm nor deny that the Captain had seen or not seen the advert (or something else) this afternoon (or previously) or not, as the case may or may not be (or not be).

However, in an unoffical comment, one Algernon Cuthbertson, who said he was the Janitor, was heard to exclaim 'what a whopper!' Sources close to Mr Cuthbertson think he was describing an ice cream that he'd just purchased from Honest Alf's Ices in Station Road, Brent, at the time...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

SWAGNET, the official Swagonian news agency could neither confirm nor deny that the Captain had seen or not seen the advert (or something else) this afternoon (or previously) or not, as the case may or may not be (or not be).

However, in an unoffical comment, one Algernon Cuthbertson, who said he was the Janitor, was heard to exclaim 'what a whopper!' Sources close to Mr Cuthbertson think he was describing an ice cream that he'd just purchased from Honest Alf's Ices in Station Road, Brent, at the time...

And I thought a whopper woz one of them beef burger fings.

• RMweb Gold

Had a busy day today visiting what I would call an iconic model railway.I was very honoured,photos anon.

On my return I had a parcel with 3864 back from repair.It turned out to be a blown capacitor ,very rare according to my retailer.I will test it tomorrow now.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I really enjoyed my trip to 'Weatherfield' and Roy didn't mind me taking a photo.His train set was on display and I'm glad to report he also uses Skaledale to great effect.

The road you see in the viaduct is actually a glorified backscene and 100% fake.

Captain Kernow and others would have enjoyed the culinary items in his cafe. :jester: All the railway memorabilia is now at Media City Salford where the street is filmed.Just the front to show now unfortunately.

This tour was a nice present from the kids for our anniversary.

post-126-0-80524400-1409424359_thumb.jpg

Back to business tomorrow with some action on ANTB.

• Like 5

Just remembered a whooper is a product from Ron Dewdney's emprorium outside St

Levens gate.

For the un-intiated Dewdney's flog oggies, the whopper is about 4 times a large.

Without wishing to deviate too much from the subject, was it not Ivor Dewdney?  It was in my time and in the same vein Sellecks pasties were considered to be the best.  For the older amongst us, they were in East St next to the market and latterly after the blitz in the basement of Ebrington St  Wesleyan chapel.  The good Cap'n will be too young!

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

was there not a Black Sheep / Theakstons  John / Sam Smiths style family falling out resulting in both Ron and Ivor selling pasties in competition???

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/Crimping-style-pasties-heritage/story-12688326-detail/story.html

Edited by colin penfold

• RMweb Gold

Without wishing to deviate too much from the subject, was it not Ivor Dewdney?  It was in my time and in the same vein Sellecks pasties were considered to be the best.  For the older amongst us, they were in East St next to the market and latterly after the blitz in the basement of Ebrington St  Wesleyan chapel.  The good Cap'n will be too young!

Brian.

Both Ivor and Ron had premises in Devonport - in fact Ivor's is still there but Ron's appears to have moved.  Ivor also has an establishment in Cornwall St in town.  Mrs Stationmaster is off the opinion that Ivor's oggies were better than Ron's and that Ivor's are better than hers although I strongly disagree with the latter as she makes extremely good proper job pasties - as I have previously illustrated on various parts of this forum.  (there is also some suitable steak in the fridge for making some more in the near future but I doubt that will be until she has finished redecorating the living room)

• Like 2

Back to business tomorrow with some action on ANTB.

There was quite a lot of action in South Brent yesterday which made the front page of a Special Edition of the Souths Hams Gazette:

post-9751-0-02342900-1409442375.jpg

It seems the good people of Brent made the Centaurs pay dearly for their foolishness if that headline is accurate.

• RMweb Premium

Brian.

No definitely Rons

post-9897-0-07954100-1409468005.png

Couldn't be bothered to get out of bed so street view instead.

There used to be a slogan across the window " Ere Mrs ave you seen our whopper"

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Dewdney's Pasties. Yum oh yum. Just look at the shop front......Green Army and all that tosh.

There used to be a shop near DHS for Boys. When I was in the Upper 6th and even more daft than I am now, I was doing Art A level. Part of the course work included buying pasties at lunch time and then bringing them back to the Art Room and reheating them in the Kiln. Sadly another use of the kiln was to cause amusement by firing it up (it was a bench mounted, smallish electric one) just a tad and then squirting lighter fuel into it to cause mini fire balls; great fun. In fact, now I come to recall I spent almost a year's worth of school time in the Art Room, doing next to nothing else except some Geography and Games (I actually enjoyed running and things like that back then). I also seem to remember smoking cigars in that room. How the h*ll did we get away with that?

Oh when life was so simple and so was I.

P

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I promised you some action and here we see three engines at once.4547 waits in the bay with it's B set.Castle class 5011 'Tintagel Castle' passes 2884 class 3864 with a down express.

post-126-0-32661700-1409480211_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-79946900-1409480222_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-62089900-1409480234_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-36415900-1409480246_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-64527400-1409480270_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

4547 leaves with it's B set.

post-126-0-35611800-1409492472_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-24481000-1409492486_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-22758700-1409492504_thumb.jpg

The road leading the other way towards the village.Captain Kernow kindly took these many years ago now.Note the trees that David [Cary Hill] mentioned when using Googles Streetview.The Stationmasters house was on the immediate left of this shot and is still there today.

post-126-0-23506400-1409492721.jpg

• Like 14

Bus 270 KTA (Bristol SUL) is doing it's best to get to the bridge at Brent as soon as it can. The pre-war Route 177 Kingsbridge to Brent Stations is quickly revived after the Kingsbridge branch Prairie is declared a total failure at Kingsbridge Station. Seen here speeding away from Avonwick to make up for lost time after an emergency toilet break earlier at Loddiswell.

post-9751-0-22276300-1409578087_thumb.jpg

FJ 8967, the other bus in the Brent convoy, is seen earlier in the year "racing" GWR Steam Railmotor 93 along the Looe Branch. The scene vaguely reminds me of the race in the "Titfield Thunderbolt". One of the photos has only had 90 views but deserves more.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8206/8204159878_910fe8e88e_b.jpg

http://bus-and-coach-photos.com.s3.amazonaws.com/10225.jpg

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 10

Bus 270 KTA (Bristol SUL) is doing it's best to get to the bridge at Brent as soon as it can. The pre-war Route 177 Kingsbridge to Brent Stations is quickly revived after the Kingsbridge branch Prairie is declared a total failure at Kingsbridge Station. Seen here speeding away from Avonwick to make up for lost time after an emergency toilet break earlier at Loddiswell.

attachicon.gif270 kta.jpg

FJ 8967, the other bus in the Brent convoy, is seen earlier in the year "racing" GWR Steam Railmotor 93 along the Looe Branch. The scene vaguely reminds me of the race in the "Titfield Thunderbolt". One of the photos has only had 90 views but deserves more.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8206/8204159878_910fe8e88e_b.jpg

http://bus-and-coach-photos.com.s3.amazonaws.com/10225.jpg

Nice drop of South Hams weather!