Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

Has this become A nod (off) to Brent? Where are all the Rhinos and tales of war torn petticoats (don't get excited, I don't mean the bits in the loco smokebox).

A good friend phoned yesterday and the message is clear, although life is too short, life must go on and we need to make the most of it.

I get some of my best laughs along with great spotting opportunities on ANTB. So come on chaps and chapesses, let us re ignite the thread with witty banter and serious discussion tales of South Hams scandal. Oh, could have a few pics of trains I suppose......and the occasional trainspotter, pasty, bus, aircraft, burnt out beach hut, seaweed, alien space-craft, tree, cow, Moderator............

Quackers, in need of reviving, @ 36E

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

Considering it's September,Mike Roper's lupins still look nice in flower in his garden as 4582 stops with a couple of horseboxes.These Hornby models are excellent with a well detailed underframe and are probably the best GW item of rolling stock on the market.At least the moulds date from this century.Bad isn't it.

post-126-0-85486000-1409935481_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-25999500-1409935499_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Meantime here's a sensible discussion we can have. I have somewhere in my loft a Keyser condensing pannier body kit . Now I realise it's not suitable for the DNSR, but would it be difficult to convert to a regular type pannier? Would simply removing the condensing gear be enough to turn it into a 57xx? What are my chassis options?

Discuss......

• RMweb Gold

What are my chassis options?

Discuss......

I think either a Comet or High Level chassis options depending on how much work you want.They both do the 57xx.How about trying a Bachmann chassis on the Keyser body perhaps.There's a Keyser thread running at the moment if you want to ask on there too Colin.

Meantime here's a sensible discussion we can have. I have somewhere in my loft a Keyser condensing pannier body kit . Now I realise it's not suitable for the DNSR, but would it be difficult to convert to a regular type pannier? Would simply removing the condensing gear be enough to turn it into a 57xx? What are my chassis options?

Discuss......

According to Pannier Papers No4: by Sixsmith: 

"The condensing 97XX series were very different to look at, if that's not too obvious a statement to make. Tank capacity was increased by 30 gallons to 1230 gallons but coal capacity was down to 2 tons 16 cwt, from 3 tonnes 6 cwt. Other obvious changes are the condensing pipe and feed pump, the exposed smoke box and the tool box moved forward, let alone the curious circular vent in front of the dome. Their introduction saw the debut of the familiar and distinctive cabs with their rounded corners, cathedral like windows and closing shutter for the cabside. The 'spare' lamp brackets and toolbox are set further forward on the running plate because of the extended tanks and the water filler on the tank is set further back than on a conventional 57XX. There is a wheel under the bunker for the "dump valve" to get rid of water that was too hot for the injectors to work properly."

Edited by cary hill

Request for the week-end:

Something doubleheaded with the locomotives working quite hard :jester: :

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2454334

or something less ardous near Tigley:

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2439251

or drifting  into Brent (presumably over the River Avon bridge?)

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2505540

• RMweb Gold

How's the patient? if the 38xx is up to it lets have a big old coal train

She's fine and is seen here running around the coal wagons in the fiddle yard.I wonder if David could photoshop me onto the footplate. ;)

post-126-0-36204000-1409940127_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-14854500-1409940148_thumb.jpg

• Like 10