A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

Another technical question for the GWR boffins...

Does anyone know the dimensional differences between the chimneys on the following:

1. 14xx/ 58xx

2. 54xx/64xx/74xx

Is the 54xx chimney less 'fat' than the 14xx?

Thanks for any assistance. 

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone know the dimensional differences between the chimneys on the following:

1. 14xx/ 58xx

2. 54xx/64xx/74xx

I can't help dimension wise Chris but as both classes have preserved examples ,there will be lots of photos online.Buffalo or Miss P are also well informed members as well as Mike of course.

1. 14xx/ 58xx

2. 54xx/64xx/74xx

I actually have 7mm models of both of these.

I'll put a photo up when I get back from walking the dog. Would over on your 1366 build thread be best?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I actually have 7mm models of both of these.

I'll put a photo up when I get back from walking the dog. Would over on your 1366 build thread be best?

Probably best Kev, thought the question here would maximise exposure...

I must admit I have thought about re-painting one of my N gauge halls into war time black, and maybe converting one to a oil fired example but at the time lack of decent research made it a non starter.

Oh my god I have just admitted to having GWR stock, is there no hope for me :(

I've compared drawings in Russell's Pictorial record of GW engines and by using a set of calipers to compare several points on the chimneys of each loco I can see no difference in size. The chimney height appears to be the same as does the width of the stack. Maybe it is the design of each varient that gives the appearance of one stack being squatter than the other.

There is, though, a short paragraph on the frontispiece.

" Many of the line drawings are taken directly from official

Swindon originals and due to the age of these the reproduction

is not as clear as they would wish. The drawings have been

reduced to 4mm scale as near as possible, but again, due

to the condition of some of the drawings, variation in scale

might exist."

Edited by Highlandman

• RMweb Gold

Further research on panniers seen on the Kingsbridge branch has found 5798,9623,9633 and 9717.Can some kind soul with access to the pannier papers tell me if any of these are in photo in the relevant book please.I don't have the book in my collection yet. ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

WHATEVER they are both pillocks I know that much, any program with them on is banned in my house.

I have to say that they are both very good at their jobs and are popular with Mr Joe public.

• Like 1

Further research on panniers seen on the Kingsbridge branch has found 5798,9623,9633 and 9717.Can some kind soul with access to the pannier papers tell me if any of these are in photo in the relevant book please.I don't have the book in my collection yet. ;)

Just had a root through Rob.

Book 3: No sign of 5798.

Book 4: No photo's of 9623 or 9633. But there is a 1962 photo of 9717 at Hereford.