Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Found this photo of a meat tin, I hope it will brighten up the evening for all the Southern fans.

You big softie Bob . You'll be wanting me to run one on ANTB again at this rate.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Castles eh....well here's one that will suit some naughty step persons that lurk on this thread...attachicon.gifcastle tower.jpg

Not quite - although it is a castle it would be a member of the GWR's 'Tower' class, a secret post-war project to build a 4-8-0 specially for operation on the South Devon banks.  In fact so secret that you can't even see it when Rob runs it on the layout.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Not quite - although it is a castle it would be a member of the GWR's 'Tower' class, a secret post-war project to build a 4-8-0 specially for operation on the South Devon banks.  In fact so secret that you can't even see it when Rob runs it on the layout.

Yes, in the spirit of 'Big Bertha' on the Lickey Incline, this highly hush-hush loco was called 'Ginormous Gertrude', but the loco, together with its cast brass nameplate was so cleverly camouflaged, that local trainspotters couldn't distinguish it from the local surroundings...

• RMweb Premium

It was this one wasn't it.....post-2326-0-11614700-1412770740.jpg

and this is what the Laira Foreman's daughter thought of it when the cloaking device failed and it finally materialisedpost-2326-0-81044500-1412770807.jpg

Quarrrrrrkkkk. (Ginormous Gertrude is full flash mode?)

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 4

Fear not, dear Brent-ers, for I come carrying un-copyrighted pictures of castles (a castle!). These were taken by my good self at the NYMR's excellent western steam gala the weekend before last. The resolution is not as good as it could have been but alas, I am currently between digital cameras and my smartphone had to suffice. 

post-18813-0-99184100-1412785550_thumb.jpg

Not often you see Swindonian top link express and the king of heavy freight side by side in North Yorkshire...

post-18813-0-50740100-1412785567_thumb.jpg

And whilst she may be a long way away from home, 1501 looks right at home with the NYMR's newly overhauled Express Dairies milk tank wagon - allegedly the only authentic Express Dairies wagon left in preservation.

post-18813-0-94822500-1412785589_thumb.jpg

Cheers, 

CoY

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Summer shortage of wasps on ANTB and in the South Hams ends as a surprise deal is brokered with the Ricoh Arena to import some (London) Wasps via High Wycombe.

attachicon.gifricohwasps.jpg

We don't need wasps as we have the Bees in this part of the world already and they ride [speedway] at Brandon.They're quite good too.Play off final this year !

• Like 1

We don't need wasps as we have the Bees in this part of the world already and they ride [speedway] at Brandon.They're quite good too.Play off final this year !

Mention of Brandon makes me feel old. I used regularly to go the British Speedway Championships there .....Ivan Mauger, Barry Briggs and Nigel Boocock et al....only about 40 years ago now.

Edited by cary hill

• RMweb Gold

Somebody mention Castles.Here's one on familiar territory ,shewn before copyright Ben Brooksbank.It's nice not having to crop the background junk on this usual photos viewpoints . ;) 

post-126-0-20257100-1412787319_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Wanna a 'Castle' - I'll just keep on posting ;)

Ok smart a**e wots it say on the nameplate under 'Norton Manor' on Bobs photo above ? Can't quite make it out.

• RMweb Gold

Michael Caine mode on....It s says 40 Commando the nameplates are a dedcation to the local 40 Commando unit stationed at Norton Manor, its just down the road from Bishops Lydeard station on the WSR, their line runs behind the camp to the Norton Fitzwarren triangle.... not alot of people know that. ;)

Thanks Michael, looking back at the photo it seems they have finally learned to only blow the blo@dy doors off!!!

• RMweb Gold

Now this is my kind of train.A five coach stopping train from Newton Abbot to Plymouth pulled by a Castle.Is this the M set I'm building I wonder ?

Photo copyright Ben Brooksbank.Used under the creative commons licence.

post-126-0-01026300-1412872839.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 11

Now this is my kind of train.A five coach stopping train from Newton Abbot to Plymouth pulled by a Castle.Is this the M set I'm building I wonder ?

Photo copyright Ben Brooksbank.Used under the creative commons licence.

attachicon.gif4081 on Dainton..jpg

Maybe, apart from the first coach, which seems to have large "Sunshine" windows, and from the window and door arrangement,  might be a Diagram A22 1938 Corridor First.

It looks a bit like :http://www.cometmodels.co.uk/modules/viewcatpic.php/8/623 and looks similar to a photo on p231 (fig 394) in Russell.

Hope I'm wrong, as I've no idea why a Ist Class coach would be a strengthener coach, unless it was the nearest to hand or just being conveniently moved.

The 2nd coach might have a guards ducket, which I didn't think were that common on GWR coaches - perhaps that's a foreigner?

Edited by cary hill

• RMweb Gold

Maybe, apart from the first coach, which seems to have large "Sunshine" windows, and from the window and door arrangement,  might be a Diagram A22 1938 first

Same family as the Bachmann model then.