RMweb

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

Maybe :O in all honesty it's the unrebuilt BB/WC/MN that don't cut the mustard with me  in my eyes they have no character I do think the LSWR built some very elegent engines in the 19th century.

BTW don't faint I do have a little 0-6-0 Terrier on my layout and might just get a T9.  :smoke:

The T9s have the grace and poise of an earlier era. Beautiful locos.

Narrow cab in green with watercart tender.

post-6675-0-41852800-1418139795.jpg

Wide cab in wartime black with sunshine lettering and 6 wheel tender

post-6675-0-39546600-1418139880.jpg

I prefer the look of the narrow cab locos, more suitable for their 'Greyhound' name IMO.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Maybe :O in all honesty it's the unrebuilt BB/WC/MN that don't cut the mustard with me  in my eyes they have no character I do think the LSWR built some very elegent engines in the 19th century.

BTW don't faint I do have a little 0-6-0 Terrier on my layout and might just get a T9.   :smoke:

I see we already have one who likes pressing the silly buttons

You've changed your tune Bob.Never say never.

Edited by gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

If you want SR and edge of Dartmoor Okehampton has to be the best choice. Totnes is nice but not quite real Dartmoor. I miss my friend Frank he was born in Station road Totnes  and knew it in GWR days. He had an 0 gauge layout in his loft in Totnes with a stairlift to get him up there when his legs went.

Don

edit added before Paul's scandalous suggestion no disrepect to Okehampton but replacing Brent :nono: :nono: :nono: .

Edited by Donw
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There is no truth in the rumour that ANTB is to be scrapped and replaced by A NOD TO OKEHAMPTON......... :butcher:

(SPAMS and I are working on this one though....)

In that case I'd start another thread titled....

OMDB.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

OMBD is the ICAO airport code for Dubai International Airport, but I suspect you are referring to the 1980's Synth DirgeMeisters who were once banned from BBC's Swapshop for being too "Gay".

How dare you diss another one of my all time favourite bands who most certainly are heterosexual thank you.

How dare you diss another one of my all time favourite bands who most certainly are heterosexual thank you.

I think you unfortunately grew up in the "lost decade" for music - thankfully I was already bringing up children by then so missed most of it  :jester:

• Like 1

Hi Everyone,

Sorry to barge in unannounced. I've been lurking around the site for a while now, but this is the first time I've actually posted anything. I'm currently living and working in Saudi Arabia, so I don't get to see many trains, real or otherwise, except for what I can find on the 'net. However, we're planning to move back to the UK in 2-3 years' time and Mrs W has more-or-less agreed that I can build a small layout once we find a place to live.

I had a couple of circles of track and a few engines and coaches when I was younger, but I fell out of model railways before I could make anything serious once I discovered football, beer and girls, not necessarily in that order! However, I picked up a copy of Hornby magazine on a visit home a couple of years back, which reawakened the interest, and since then I've been quietly doing some research and planning what sort of a layout I'd like to model if and when I got the chance.

So why am I posting this here, and not on a new members/introductions thread? Well, partly because as a Plymuff bey, I've enjoyed reading the chat about that part of the world and revisiting old haunts (mentally, at least) and mostly because, Rob, you've made exactly the layout I was thinking of - a small station on the edge of Dartmoor, on the Plymouth-Exeter main line, with a working branchline, in the heyday of the Great Western.

Many thanks for the inspiration, and the hours of enjoyment spent reading through the thread (page 22 so far, so no spoilers please!) If anything I ever make is a quarter as good as this, I'll be delighted.

Keep up the good work.

Regards,

Waraqah

Hi Waragah (that doesn't sound like a Plymouth name),  As one far removed from Plymouth also, these forums have certainly been an asset to keep up with UK modelling and the South West in general usually with great pictures.  Hope you find it as useful as I do.

Brian.

• Like 1

OMBD is the ICAO airport code for Dubai International Airport, but I suspect you are referring to the 1980's Synth DirgeMeisters who were once banned from BBC's Swapshop for being too "Gay".

Robin, I'm normally in the business of digging deep holes in out of the way places. 

post-13158-0-16978700-1418154563_thumb.jpg

Trouble is, these holes tend to be somewhat unstable, so have to be backfilled fairly quickly. Anybodything forgotten at the bottom tends to stay forgotten for a very long time... Just saying....

Looks a bit like a certain Council car park in Leicester with a King hidden in it. Mind you he's being backfilled in style in Leicester Cathedral next March.

Or they could have re interred his remains in York Minster and transported him there in style:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dc-7c/8754440236/

Back to railways...

Edited by Trains&armour
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Robin, I'm normally in the business of digging deep holes in out of the way places. 

attachicon.gifBig Hole.jpg

Trouble is, these holes tend to be somewhat unstable, so have to be backfilled fairly quickly. Anybodything forgotten at the bottom tends to stay forgotten for a very long time... Just saying....

Nice staff.

T & A's piccy of the "faux" King Richard III certainly looks better than this old wreck:

post-9751-0-12380400-1418170999.jpg

and to get back on topic here's another "real" King  Richard III, which met with a similarly bad ending, cut to pieces by Cox and Danks of Oldbury https://www.flickr.com/photos/70607220@N04/6897645691/ along with ten other Kings.

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Looks a bit like a certain Council car park in Leicester with a King hidden in it. Mind you he's being backfilled in style in Leicester Cathedral next March.

That is most definitely an offence and is not to be encouraged.

Rob

Edited by nhy581

Would that be the Enola kind of gay?!

• Like 4