A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

I hope my son's grand dad would be proud

Extra prizes for loco identification!

There is a blue one and I think I know what that is......... :angel:  however the other thing is a GWR cab and it could be one of a huge number of similar Classes other than those with a lever reverser such as a pannier. I'll be bold and say a Manor?

P

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I always took the grandchildren (girls and boy) to the railway but they didn't become interested so i wondered if the railway bug had ended with me. Finally the last one was born and when he could walk I thought I'd give it a whirl and took him to our local station. A Doodlebug came and went but he showed no interest. A Class 66 on ballast started off impressively from a signal check but still no sign of life in the lad. Then i took him to Ffestiniog.....He lit up and stood beside one of the little 0-4-0's for a photo...."I luv U grandad" were his passing words as his mum whisked him away at days end.

Right, now for the big stuff....I took him to the 'Junction to see a GWR 'Castle' taking on water. Some yards from the engine he tugged me back along the platform, my ankles gouging tar out of the platform. "Wossup Nik?"..."Dont like.....its a black monster!"  "It's not, it's green" but my words fell on deaf ears. Poo, I so wanted a photo, but I couldn't scare the lad so we went home. "When R U going out take me out again Grandad?" was a regular plea.

We never did go trackside again, and he's off to Uni next week. Time flies...

Blimey Larry, I could have written that as it is exactly what us happening here.....brings a little lump to me throat that does.

P

There is a blue one and I think I know what that is......... :angel: however the other thing is a GWR cab and it could be one of a huge number of similar Classes other than those with a lever reverser such as a pannier. I'll be bold and say a Manor?

P

Correct on the blue one. The gwr cab is 5900 Hinderton Hall in the Didcot shed.

when I was a child, you were never allowed on the footplates in museums - credit to nrm and gws for allowing access.

And here's one from me - any ideas as to date and location, folks?

attachicon.gifirf3440Aerial1.jpg

I believe this Meeting was arranged to celebrate the re-doubling of the Cornish Main Line between Burngullow and Probus. The actual meeting point was near Grampound Road.

Okay, I admit it, I was driving the horrible thing on the left!

• RMweb Gold

I can't compete with the posters who shew photos of steam from yesteryear but I can shew photos of an engine I've ridden the footplate on.I must have brought my children up correctly as even when they're on holiday they know the correct engines to snap . Here's 5239 at Paignton last weekend.

post-126-0-91426300-1441297821_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-14622500-1441297857_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-93481200-1441297885_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-02079000-1441297918_thumb.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Look what postie brought...

post-12721-0-80647800-1441306336_thumb.jpg

Slightly spoiled by having to mend the steps and the downpipes. One of the latter was broken, the other I had to break and refix to correctly align it to the roof. In doing so I discovered that superglue will stick anything to anything except the two things you want to stick to each other! Grrrrrr.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Morning all,

Like to park you car sir?  Alas I can't date it precisely but I think probably very late 1940s/early '50s but definitely taken between 1948 and 1956 and taken during the last week of June/first week of July

attachicon.gifHY 4.jpg

Lovely photo Mike

"piloting", surely?

I had understood that piloting was what the GW did over the S Devon banks, while "double heading" was some form of inappropriate euphemism, or, possibly, an habitual Midland practice necessitated by its bizarre small engine policy.

• Like 2