A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

It wouldn't be a problem for me to drive to Toddington, it's only an hour from Brent.For others it would be a trek.

It's a bit more from the other Brent, but that's not a problem. It's a journey I've done by road many times (Brent to Cotswolds, for work), so count me in (and I'm sure Re6/6 will also be interested).

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It's a bit more from the other Brent, but that's not a problem. It's a journey I've done by road many times (Brent to Cotswolds, for work), so count me in (and I'm sure Re6/6 will also be interested).

Another chance to stop at that glorious farm shop in Gloucester Services to buy some sausages CK.

• Like 1

I have done Bluebell and back in a day by train from Norwich but would also happily do SVR GWR or WSR with an overnight. Bluebell does lack GWR interest of course, but does allow us to continue Robs suvvern hedumacation

That's a long day... Easier now you can board at East Grinstead though

In the bluebell's favour, they do have the Dukedog. Against them, it's out of ticket and was separated from its tender in the stock shed earlier this summer. Think there was also a 56xx in the shed too though I agree that on balance it's all rather a different shade of green!

• RMweb Gold

That's a long day... Easier now you can board at East Grinstead though

In the bluebell's favour, they do have the Dukedog. Against them, it's out of ticket and was separated from its tender in the stock shed earlier this summer. Think there was also a 56xx in the shed too though I agree that on balance it's all rather a different shade of green!

long you're not kidding. 0415 national express to London Victoria and got back to Nch about 2230. The things we do, eh?

• RMweb Gold

I could be interested as well so that would be 3 from our neck of the woods.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Count me in as well!

G&WSR or SVR would be good.... :D

A few Manors on the SVR for a fix! ;)

Cheers,

Mark

Or the DFR?!

Edited by 46444
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There's a pub in Winchcombe (can't remember the name) opposite the station, with a garden which backs onto the railway.

Is the railway museum in Winchcombe still going? I only went once, about 30 years ago (on honeymoon!) and it was a curious but fascinating set-up, essentially someone's back garden full of signalling bits and pieces.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Is the railway museum in Winchcombe still going? I only went once, about 30 years ago (on honeymoon!) and it was a curious but fascinating set-up, essentially someone's back garden full of signalling bits and pieces.

I do believe it is still open.

I once stopped in Winchcombe to check out a fish bar.

• RMweb Gold

suvvern hedumacation

'Savvan' surely?

A former colleague who used to work on the footplate side, once told me of a time when a preserved Southern loco was shedded overnight at somewhere like Stewarts Lane (or what was left of it). When the supervisor came out of his office in the morning, someone had covered over the word 'Southern' on the tender with the legend 'Savvan' in the same typeface, on paper the same colour as the loco's livery. What larks!

• RMweb Premium

Honeymoons can be a little curious and yet, if one has remained chaste, fascinating. Now, let's not get caught up in that sort of smut. Much more fun to get really smutty at the G & W R. If and when we come to decision I am prepared to reccy the joint early next year. That is unless someone else lives close and knows the gaff?

GWR fix required after what is reported as going to be the worst winter we will be having since '47 (coincidence with ANTB there).

I couldn't get anywhere near Colin's superb planning but could check out the facilities and local feeding troughs. 2016 Timetable should be available soon (if not already) and a suitable timetable day can be chosen.

Ar$e

• Like 3

Another little bit of (ex.) G.W. wagonry...Parkside's latest. Built straight out of the bag, transfers a mixture of CCT and Modelmaster, Hollar 'Geest' labels.

post-294-0-12756600-1445414713_thumb.jpg

post-294-0-31103600-1445414761_thumb.jpg

post-294-0-96007300-1445414846_thumb.jpg

A lovely little kit all round.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Now sadly closed: http://www.winchcomberailwaymuseum.co.uk/

When you went, did you see the late Roger Wilson (author of Go Great Western) dressed as a GWR porter, as was his wont?

• RMweb Gold

I'd be up for this. Never been to G&W R. Always enjoy the WSR though and Bishops Lydeard is not far frpm Taunton so close to M5......

Rob.

• RMweb Premium