RMweb

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Hornby/Wrenn 8Fs Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, niceeeeeeeeeee.

P

The 8F. A Swindon design of course? ;)

Edited by 46444

• RMweb Gold

I remember one of my first 'scale' locomotives, albeit one that still ran on my roundy-roundy train set in my parents house, on Triang Super 4 track, was a Hornby 'Castle' that someone had re-painted and lined out in GWR livery. I can't remember where I got it from, certainly not 'as new', but it had one serious flaw, in that one of the replacement 'scale-ish' wheels (which were press-on the axle) kept coming loose, so the loco really couldn't perform in 'front line' duties. Otherwise it ran reasonably well.

However, when I was around 15, I managed not to spend any of my holiday money when we went on a family holiday to France, and for various reasons, my younger brother and I came back separately to the UK, as we had linked up over there with a school trip. As such, and with no parental knowledge of the amount of money I had in my pocket, I took myself and my brother off up to London to a late-summer model railway show, and bought a brand new Wrenn 'Castle', to join it's older 'cousin'. Now that one did perform well and for a few years after that, until it got part-exchanged along with a load of other stuff, probably at the late lamented Max Williams in Bristol.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Although I'm a relatively youngster on this thread I would have loved to have asked Santa for one of these at the Christmas of 1957.Did anyone on here actually have one as a child.

attachicon.gif380px-Hornby-Dublo_Bristolian_Train_Set_EDP20_(MM_1957-12).jpeg

I had a 'Castle' (just the engine, not a train set) for Christmas in either 1957 or 1958 - in a plain blue box, no box illustration for the early ones.  I've still got it - rather badly converted (by me) to 2 rail with Hamblings driving wheels.  One day I might even resurrect it and see if it is restorable to decent running condition (I varnished the original paintwork so that can't be restored).

I often wonder how many regretted two railing Dublo or Wrenn locos?  It was all the fad at the time (see my last post on the subject) and in the circles that I frequent, many have restored them to original condition.  So there's hope for you, Mike! :locomotive:

Brian.

Edited by brianusa

Always wanted Bristol Castle, but Dad in his wisdom bought me a second hand Dublo 3 rail set inc. a blue Sir Nigel Gresley and an N2 and he added that by buying 4 chocolate and cream Mk 1s?????????????????? By the way this was just after Hornby Dublo had gone 2 rail. :scratchhead:

• RMweb Gold

Twas the Christmas of 1957 and there was a Santa Special to catch to Loddiswell. Chestnuts roasting on an open fire, mince pies and mulled wine in the waiting room.The Kingsbridge brass band are playing carols so get on board as 3440 City of Truro and some blood and custard coaches await.Tickets please !

post-126-0-45485700-1449871123_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-62966600-1449871142_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-31126600-1449871171_thumb.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Going off topic a bit from Castle's to Hall's I recently acquired one of those Hornby Harry Potter Oulton Hall's directly from Hornby off of ebay. It was described as being supplied with some broken parts that needed gluing back on that Hornby had fixed.

Seeings that it is going to be repainted into post-war lined green with 'G crest W' in the guise of 5993 Kirby Hall I wasn't too bothered about this and got it for just over £50.

Tonight I got it out of the box for the first time to give it a test run.

It was a bit of an anti-climax as it seized and the connecting/piston rod became detached. I unscrewed the connecting rod and reassembled them giving the pin holding them together a few taps with a hammer. 

Having put it back together all I can say is the model runs really smoothly and is something of a bargain! Had you though about doing anything with one of these Robin?

Does anyone know if an Hall of this period would have had a speedo bracket fitted or should I remove this?

I'll post some photos on my blog soon as well as progress on the Bachmann 64xx-74xx conversion to NA's 7427.

Look forwards to the photos this weekend Robin.  More on a Festive theme I hope?

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

I think the sisters appear to be trying to hide from the snowman and Santa in the second photo.

I think that would be sensible? ;)

Hope the Santa Claus and Snowman have been CRB/DBS checked Robin?  Or the 1950's equivalent? :D

Edited by 46444

Going off topic a bit from Castle's to Hall's I recently acquired one of those Hornby Harry Potter Oulton Hall's directly from Hornby off of ebay. It was described as being supplied with some broken parts that needed gluing back on that Hornby had fixed.

Seeings that it is going to be repainted into post-war lined green with 'G crest W' in the guise of 5993 Kirby Hall I wasn't too bothered about this and got it for just over £50.

Tonight I got it out of the box for the first time to give it a test run.

It was a bit of an anti-climax as it seized and the connecting/piston rod became detached. I unscrewed the connecting rod and reassembled them giving the pin holding them together a few taps with a hammer. 

Having put it back together all I can say is the model runs really smoothly and is something of a bargain! Had you though about doing anything with one of these Robin?

Does anyone know if an Hall of this period would have had a speedo bracket fitted or should I remove this?

I'll post some photos on my blog soon as well as progress on the Bachmann 64xx-74xx conversion to NA's 7427.

Look forwards to the photos this weekend Robin.  More on a Festive theme I hope?

Cheers,

Mark

You may wish to take a look at coach bogie's (of this parish) splendid effort here.

Mike was also generous enough to provide a full breakdown of the job here

I am ashamed to admit that I acquired an Olton Hall via Hornby's promotional offer for £45 in February of this year, with the intention of doing exactly what you intend to, however this year has seen my modelling procrastination soar to quite unbelievable levels!

Best, 

CoY

• RMweb Premium

Nerd ............... Wrenn loco's were always 'two rail' machines unless converted to third rail of course!

46444, I don't know what period your Hall will be in ref. the Speedos. I would have recommended proper trunks anyway as those other things are a bit passe.

M. Spitz.

• RMweb Premium

Robin,

In your Santa train shots, I am concerned for the welfare of the poor old signalmen... haven't the local fitters been able to get those windows closed since the summer? - That fire inside must be roaring away day and night to keep the cold old.... no wonder the Cordylnes are doing so well on the platform :-)

Will there be non-Santa action at Brent this weekend? Or are there lots of Shoppers specials into PLY for those extra, but essential festive goodies? 

• RMweb Premium

Robin,

In your Santa train shots, I am concerned for the welfare of the poor old signalmen... haven't the local fitters been able to get those windows closed since the summer? - That fire inside must be roaring away day and night to keep the cold old.... no wonder the Cordylnes are doing so well on the platform :-)

Will there be non-Santa action at Brent this weekend? Or are there lots of Shoppers specials into PLY for those extra, but essential festive goodies? 

It's quite a walk to Union Street from North Road.

Iva Tricky 

• RMweb Premium

Whilst it's quiet on here I thought I'd shew you a new scene I've created.An unexpected offer from thread follower BG MAN resulted in this lych gate being made.I've cut the walling away and fitted it in.Not sure about the trees as Colin Penfold suggests the GWR would have cut the lineside down but they do add to the scene imo.Maybe some bushes instead.

attachicon.gifDSCN7458.jpg

Only yew can decide.