RMweb

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

That tunnel is actually a cool place to stand.

You can hear the whistle before it enters the other end of the tunnel - then a deep deep rumble just before it appears and then of course the train itself appears at the mouth and into the deep cutting - as it gets say 100 yards from the mouth the loco suddenly gets bathed in sunlight.

Then one thing I especially liked was the steam billowing out of the tunnel mouth long after the train had gone out of sight and earshot.

' the ghost of locos passed '

Edited by ThePurplePrimer
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

SWMBO and I paid a visit to Greenways House this year, in the narrow lane I could not find anywhere to stop having heard a train approaching to try and get a photo better luck next time.

I'm off on the Shakespeare Express tomorrow any requests for photo's of anything if I can get a door window to hang out. :locomotive:

Edited by 81C
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

SWMBO and I paid a visit to Greenways House this year, in the narrow lane I could not find anywhere to stop having heard a train approaching to try and get a photo better luck next time.

It would have been easier for Rob on his scooter I'm sure.Nice photos.

• RMweb Gold

I'm off on the Shakespeare Express tomorrow any requests for photo's of anything if I can get a door window to hang out. :locomotive:

There's lots of Chinese tourists when you get to Stratford and the Hall looks splendid.

• RMweb Gold

Rob is quite right - there is no where to park a car on that road for maybe a mile in each direction.

I found that out with all  the "can't drives" coming the other way that needed 10 feet clearance with their Miss'em Micra's.

Rob we are going to Stratford with a local charabanc company so it's go with the flow when we arrive, I just hope I can get a decent drink with the dinner on the train.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

So Rob, have you placed your order for an original airsmoothed Merchant Navy from Hornby yet? Would look great storming through Brent.

I need your advice on which one I need/want.

• RMweb Gold

I found that out with all  the "can't drives" coming the other way that needed 10 feet clearance with their Miss'em Micra's.

Rob we are going to Stratford with a local charabanc company so it's go with the flow when we arrive, I just hope I can get a decent drink with the dinner on the train.

It's probably the open top bus that Bachmann modelled in their train pack recently. Enjoy your day in Warwickshire.

• RMweb Premium

Talking of West Countries on the GWR, have you seen this one?

http://www.semgonline.com/steam/pics/mm_34020.jpg

34020 Seaton, in early BR livery and on foreign territory, working over GWR metals from Exeter to Plymouth. The photograph is undated but as the loco was re-painted in the later BR livery during a general overhaul that began on 30th May 1950 it is obviously between 1948 and then. 34020 never carried the 'S' prefix

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Talking of West Countries on the GWR, have you seen this one?

http://www.semgonline.com/steam/pics/mm_34020.jpg

34020 Seaton, in early BR livery and on foreign territory, working over GWR metals from Exeter to Plymouth. The photograph is undated but as the loco was re-painted in the later BR livery during a general overhaul that began on 30th May 1950 it is obviously between 1948 and then. 34020 never carried the 'S' prefix

Another one of those silly looking meat tins.  :nono:

Edited by 81C

• RMweb Premium

You need a Grange on Pencarrow/Treneglos but it'll never happen.

A Grange would loose it's steps / cylinders on Treneglos.

Sadly the headshunt on Pencarrow is too short for any diesel bigger than a 22, any GWR loco bigger than a 45XX, anything Gresley made, and anything LMS bigger than an Ivatt tank. By some miracle it still accommodates a Spam Can.

• RMweb Gold

I need your advice on which one I need/want.

It would be interesting to know when one first got to Plymouth (and which one it was of course).  Would be just like the Suffern to send one of their fancy engines along the GWR hoping the waves at Dawlish would stop it catching fire.  Quite amusing when you think they were allowed to Plymouth over THE main line but not via the Dartmoor North branch. of their owners

• Like 2

It would be interesting to know when one first got to Plymouth (and which one it was of course).  Would be just like the Suffern to send one of their fancy engines along the GWR hoping the waves at Dawlish would stop it catching fire.  Quite amusing when you think they were allowed to Plymouth over THE main line but not via the Dartmoor North branch. of their owners

I think it was 35019 French Line CGT that took part in the Interchange Trials on THE main line, very atmospheric!

• RMweb Premium

I suspect it were Meltdown Viaduct wot was the problem, however it could have been other bridges. Weren't till 1960 I think that rebuilt spams were allowed on the Dawlish By Pass (Okey line). I don't think any Packets worked over the other secondary main line along the coast, except for the exchanges, until enthusiast 'specials' began to appear in the late 50s and early/mid 60s.

If Rob were to do 'exchange' stuff he would be out of period and he would need some machines from those other weird regions; far too stressful for us all.

Ar%e