A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

I suppose it might have avoided the nitpickery if I had said "north from London" rather than "north of London". And I cannot accept that Lancashire or Cheshire are The North - they are the North West. If you drive up the A1 from London, you are signposted to The North, and it certainly does not include Manchester. Leeds, Newcastle etc are The North from London.

Mr Spams is of course right about the Birkenhead through train. It passed my skool in Dorking daily until 1965, serving much of the former South Eastern Railway in Kent and The Brighton in Sussex. In my day it was always Southern powered.

"Hatfield and the North" was a pretty good pub rock band in my youth (although not as good as Kokomo or Ducks Deluxe).

I think you'll find that the through service from Birkenhead to Bournemouth in 1948 was WR and SR stock alternately.  That between Birkenhead and Paddington, amounting to several trains a day, was WR stock throughout.

Chris

• RMweb Gold

The sun went in between the two photos.

Burlesque effect young Spams.We could all do with touching up now and again. ;)

post-126-0-74465600-1493748397_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Talking of prairies and this information on the Lionheart 45xx class has come to light.Mouthwatering.

post-126-0-65845000-1493822791_thumb.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 5

I'm AGOG at the prices.  :)

Edited to say: Even though it looks very nice.

Well you could of course buy a Springside kit and build it yourself, saving about £90.00 but then you'd have to splash out on transfers and paint plus other odds and ends that you felt needed it but at the price, frankly why bother (I have built one in the past - not something I'd like to repeat) . Of course if you want to build it yourself, you'll still have to buy the raw materials, set of Slaters wheels or possibly the new cast iron ones plus motor gearbox, you could easily spend more. BTW, everybody does realise we are talking 0 Gauge here?

If I had somewhere to run it I'd be tempted but the forthcoming Pannier from Minerva looks even more tempting.

Edited by Stephen Freeman

Well you could of course buy a Springside kit and build it yourself, saving about £90.00 but then you'd have to splash out on transfers and paint plus other odds and ends that you felt needed it but at the price, frankly why bother (I have built one in the past - not something I'd like to repeat) . Of course if you want to build it yourself, you'll still have to buy the raw materials, set of Slaters wheels or possibly the new cast iron ones plus motor gearbox, you could easily spend more. BTW, everybody does realise we are talking 0 Gauge here?

If I had somewhere to run it I'd be tempted but the forthcoming Pannier from Minerva looks even more tempting.

Yeah, I noticed that after I put my post up.  :fool:

• RMweb Gold

You'll have to do some tree trimming and bridge raising and platform widening if you get one of those Rob.

It's a pity I don't know anyone with a 7mm layout to run one on.......

• RMweb Premium

Would be even better if said layout was closer to being finished and available to run stuff on. Must get finger out.

post-6675-0-93336300-1493912731_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Let's see what happens ? :))

post-20303-0-18766500-1493916403_thumb.jpeg

Mr.Big

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Well here I am up at stupid o'clock to get to Pendon for my photography course. Chance to get some tips from the talented Mr York and to get up close and personal with the (second!) best GWR model railway that ever was.

On the 05 hundred to London - what's the 0 stand for? O my god it's early!!!!!

(thanks to Robin Williams for that one)

Report later if spared.

D. Bailey

• Like 1