Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Hello Neal & Miss Prism

I would place the Shunter's Truck as Departmental (ie not revenue earning).

The Toad was brought in to the Hornby range in 1996 from the Airfix range (tooled by them in 1976).

If we discount Pullmans and look at GWR per se (which is probably what Neal was hinting at) then the Collett was 1978.

Brian

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

I would place the Shunter's Truck as Departmental (ie not revenue earning).

Yes, revenue earning is what I meant and wouldn't include the recent toad release.

Edited by gwrrob
detail, detail. detail.

• RMweb Premium

At risk of derailing Rob's thread, I can't help thinking that the two big players in the market, particularly Hornby, are gradually moving towards the collector/Sunday supplement/'family' market. That's their prerogative, they have shareholders to please.

The new smaller concerns plus Dapol - there are quite a few - will be left to supply the needs/wishes of the rest of us. Occasionally the big two might produce something 'useful', eg the Thompson Pacifics and the V2 for the LNER bods, but I think our  Counties, Saints, Bulldogs and elderly panniers are going to come from Ireland or Canada, maybe even Wigan or Sheffield.

Just my feelings, not wanting to start a war! :) 

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

Scroll back forty years and a very young wolf has pocket money to spend. The antiquated loco and coaches he already has are in Great Western livery, although he doesn't know they're purely generic, the old coaches have all that panelling moulded in and to a ten year old look quite convincing.

Now he wants some freight wagons to go with them. The Hornby ones have shiny plastic underframes and the only GW wagon appears to be a Toad in a different shade of grey to what he's seen in the magazine's.

But there on the shelf are some new models, a dark grey Toad without the huge moulded on rear lamp, an open wagon that looks quite real with very nice lettering, a flat and a well wagon with detailed loads that don't look gimmicks and as for the locos on a bit of track in the display case...

So the only big UK manufacturers at the time lost a customer before he got his first paypacket. Much of my purchases have been kits since, but the locos came mostly from Bachmann and their predecessors.

I'm not one of those who has an axe to grind with Hornby, life's too short, it's just that they've never really made anything that I want to go and buy brand new.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7

3 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

My GWR shunters truck was revenue earning....

... I sold it.

I used the wheels and brake gear on a wagon and the toolbox has found its way onto a crane project.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

The programme was pulled and we saw U boats instead.

Was this a one off programme or the series that they were doing?

Sorry, if I'm coming across as thick as an elephant pizza, but we really don't watch much TV bar movies! 

• Friendly/supportive 1

14 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I'm not one of those who has an axe to grind with Hornby, life's too short, it's just that they've never really made anything that I want to go and buy brand new.

Although I also bear many similar scars and know where you're coming from, that's a tad harsh I reckon. Why only the other day I met with a respected loco kit builder who was proudly sporting 2 (or more) Pecketts in his display frame and I'll 'fess up to having 2 myself, 1 more than I can reasonably justify on any grounds, but they are just such fine little locos.

The last releases of Terriers were pretty good as well, I've 2 of those with a shade more justification.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

While the wait for a new RTR Saint continues...........Hornby bring out.............Castles again...........

I'm still a bit taken aback that after the completion of a new Saint at Didcot, nobody has released one in OO RTR.

Edited by M.I.B
  • Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Clearwater said:

A question for the cognoscenti.  Should 4074 have a fire iron tunnel in 1923 condition?  I note the 4073 in shirt button doesn’t.

6E712F5C-BFBC-431E-A354-F099B73F95BC.jpeg

5D16DCA5-2F08-48A0-BC6D-73A9CF7BA030.jpeg

Fire iron tunnels: I think 5013 onwards and then retro-fitted to older Castles during the 50's?

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2

50 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

No.

Answered my own question with two mins research… from p61 of David Maidment and Bob Meanley’s excellent new Castle book 1923-59.

edit.  Similar aspect of 4074 picture in OS Nock “Stars, Castles and Kings”  (p95) with test hood on front at dynamometer car.  Also very clear photo of 4079 on p108.

Puzzling how Hornby’s researchers don’t find these pictures and not use the flexibility their tooling clearly can do.

also don’t think it should have the superheater(?) on the smoke box in as built condition.

3E0C4D2C-8AFE-4939-9D1D-8EBA1115B6DB.jpeg

Edited by Clearwater
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Live in hope of some eventual discounting on 4073 as from memory it will finally get me the right frame detail to correct my model of Berkeley Castle.  At 208£ I can live with the current model's error though!

Will definitely be ordering one of the Macaw's though 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

And no Hawksworth County…thankfully.Yes that’s a backhanded observation I know. Given the current situation vis a vis Hornby and China with regard to delivery status etc. I think the 2023 programme looks about right ,all things considered. 

Maybe those nice Accurascale gentlemen will continue their good GW work with  a Saint or one of the above.

Or maybe Rapido,Rapido,let down your hair ? 

My protestations last evening re: the no show of Hornby The Movie 2 on the Yesterday Channel led the upstanding Mr. Parker to place me temporarily in the unique position of being possibly the oldest member of this forum removed to the naughty step.It appears that both Facebook and Twitter users knew all about it. And of course,like many of us,I am not one. Switched on my recorder to watch after supper only to view seascape instead of boys toys.No explanation given on screen & thought I’d reached the early shores of senility.

But no….RMWEB gave the only information available.

Hey Ho.

• Friendly/supportive 10