RMweb

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Anyone still after a siphon from Accurascale's first run might be interested in the 25% off sale here, making them just over 41 sheets.

Thank you, two blue versions ordered today.

Paul.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Yes it’s better and truthfully has been for a while.Would suggest waiting on hold for a while to allow over inflated current prices to reach a rational point by subsiding to what is best perhaps  described as “market value “  . The Hornby Castle remains a damned good model in anybody’s currency.

• Like 4
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Looks absolutely delicious but I don't need another Castle.  (Repeats to self, 'I don't need another Castle!')

Time to give 5000 and 5041 a bit of exercise I think, now that it's cool enough to go into the loft again.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

In fact,looking at the last iteration of 4073 released at least 4/5 years ago,it had reached the identical shade&finish then. I recall that I purchased it at a time when Hornby were giving them away with a packet of breakfast cereal & it was via eBay. I said I didn’t need it then but obviously I’m glad I did now. Star 4013 is also of the identical shade. If you follow trends on retail websites,you will notice that with some releases there are significant reductions after a while…the A2&A3 for instance. See if this happens now with 4073 .Just a thought.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 1

18 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Thanks to a heads up from @BenL it seems that Hornby's Great Western green is improving by the looks of their latest release in 4073. 188 sheets though. Any thoughts chaps ?

4073.jpg.ac3e52552b4a43c569c57c78591c8d8d.jpg

4073.jpga.jpg.6c743127a6bacb402e892ae244f33bfd.jpg

It's still a fine looking model. The only issue I had with mine was when I decided to change its identity, I found the etched nameplates I bought for it (I forget which make they were) didn't quite fit the Hornby splashers and I ended up slightly butchering it on the fireman's side. In the end I sold it as it was, but wish I'd persevered with it now. I made a start on weathering it before I let it go and I thought overall it conveyed the look of the class rather nicely...

000100_3237.jpg.fea34b604d28588e6335c0a7c5854380.jpg

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 8

5 hours ago, checkrail said:

Looks absolutely delicious but I don't need another Castle.  (Repeats to self, 'I don't need another Castle!')

Time to give 5000 and 5041 a bit of exercise I think, now that it's cool enough to go into the loft again.

Given I wasnt collecting, I mean investing, when these first came out, mine is on its way… will update on the green in the wild later this week !

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Thanks to a heads up from @BenL it seems that Hornby's Great Western green is improving by the looks of their latest release in 4073. 188 sheets though. Any thoughts chaps ?

4073.jpg.ac3e52552b4a43c569c57c78591c8d8d.jpg

4073.jpga.jpg.6c743127a6bacb402e892ae244f33bfd.jpg

I have been trying to expand my stable of Castles, but buying on eBay has been a very hit and miss experience - and quite expensive! The most recent versions are still fetching good money secondhand.

So I ordered the other new one from Hornby, Caldicot Castle, to get one of guaranteed good modern quality, hopefully...

To be honest I like the slightly duller greens of previous Hornby Castles because I feel that's more appropriate for pre-war versions, when the paint and varnish was "old tech".

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Harlequin said:

I have been trying to expand my stable of Castles, but buying on eBay has been a very hit and miss experience - and quite expensive! The most recent versions are still fetching good money secondhand.

So I ordered the other new one from Hornby, Caldicot Castle, to get one of guaranteed good modern quality, hopefully...

To be honest I like the slightly duller greens of previous Hornby Castles because I feel that's more appropriate for pre-war versions, when the paint and varnish was "old tech".

I agree about the colour Phil - The issue is today, a colour of paint will be consistent right across the board.

It was never like that back in the day - just look at the lighting conditions they were mixing and then painting - on a dull overcast day, the shops were just as busy and paint was applied. I suspect the results were variable to say the least.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

An idle thought crosses my mind as I look at the Lady In Red. What vision lies before us if she can be viewed wandering in stately fashion at the head of a rake of Accurascale Chaldrons….it being in this guise an “industrial locomotive “.. ? Well ,perhaps a bit different from Rapido NCB wagons for sure 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just been running in 1504 on a fast Express (12 on!) through Seaton Junction (after running it LE as suggested in the brilliant and often hilarious handbook).

This is an absolutely superb model that I can hardly lift at my age. It's easily the weight of one of the Argyle Midfield playmakers and runs as well too.

DO NOT HESITATE IN GETTING ONE OF THESE. It's the sort of Engine for which you would build a brand new Shunting layout!

I don't know what it should look like but it looks fine to me and the underframe and VG area looks absolutely topping. 

Running in on DC and with an old H & M  Controller. Cracking speed control.  

Rapido have certainly got a gem with this.

Phil

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

So far Dapol have not done the Collett cabbed Moguls so detailing the old school Bachmann job is one way to get one.

Here's one I've almost finished.

Cheeky Rascal...

Blog entry shortly. 

Railtec 3D printed numberplates fitted.

As an aside I replaced the axles and gear with new ones from Peter's Spares.  Nice easy job and it's runs like new.

https://www.petersspares.com/p/peters-spares-ps117-replacement-Bachmann-axle-set

Well worth resurrecting a split axle Bachmann loco for £10.

Cheers,

Mark

PS: I think Phil's been on the Ginsters again but I totally agree with him. The Rapido 15xx is a proper job Pannier...

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, 46444 said:

So far Dapol have not done the Collett cabbed Moguls so detailing the old school Bachmann job is one way to get one.

Here's one I've almost finished.

Cheeky Rascal...

Blog entry shortly. 

Railtec 3D printed numberplates fitted.

As an aside I replaced the axles and gear with new ones from Peter's Spares.  Nice easy job and it's runs like new.

https://www.petersspares.com/p/peters-spares-ps117-replacement-Bachmann-axle-set

Well worth resurrecting a split axle Bachmann loco for £10.

Cheers,

Mark

PS: I think Phil's been on the Ginsters again but I totally agree with him. The Rapido 15xx is a proper job Pannier...

Strangely I am having a Ginsters tonight as I CBA to do any cooking. Not a proper job Dewdneys, but hey, any port in a storm as they used to say in Union Street.

God's ( I used to say H£ll's but it often gets deleted) Teeth, I hadn't sussed that some of the Moguls had that Cab. Does it include 7311? Thanks.

P

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, checkrail said:

The 15xx is well outside my period but the Duck's review almost makes me want to get one.  It certainly bodes well for the 44xx. (and the other small prairies if they're still in the plans).

Apologies CR. It REALLY is that good! Even as an ornament it's suitable (but difficult to dust I suspect?).

I didn't need one in any way that I could possibly confirm through photo's.

However it will be one of several Engines that appear at Seaton Junction because I said so! After all it was the 60s and if you can remember it you weren't there (or something like that).

I also loved seeing them at Paddington when arriving/departing from/to Plymuff (and once departing after coming over from Kings Cross having travelled down the ECML in 1962 and arriving behind MIles Beevor).

They were loud and nippy on the Empty Sock Duties.

Good luck.

P

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 1