A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

It’s virtually the same as the one released 5/6 years ago .Yes the livery is an improvement but the price isn’t. With regard to the cost,I believe the best policy atm is to wait until as tbh I imagine they don’t sell and consequently the price is reduced.Time to be hard headed.The “Collection “ is a marketing exercise familiar to Hornby and a way of getting more life out of long existing tooling. I understand the motive for it but I wish they’d be a bit more imaginative than this.Old wine in new bottles.

Although the tooling hasn't changed much if you want a new Castle, as opposed to used ones which are a bit of a lottery in my experience, this (and her sister Caerphilly) is the only game in town!

Edit: But you're right, if you've got the patience to wait a while the price will undoubtedly come down.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Not wrong, but the Hornby rendition of the brake links on the BPs is vexatious. They are known not to respond to several types of adhesive - or even copious quantities of harsh Anglo-Saxon. Finding them deposited in the cess or the 6-foot is a common experience. 

When it came to providing outside brake linkage on their M7, 700 and “Terrier” classes, Hornby wisely used metal which has proved relatively trouble free.

Perhaps we might hope Hornby will (some day) take a serious look at improving certain details on such a time-served and popular locomotive as their unrebuilt WC/BB. The provision of metal brake linkages, cylinder drain pipes and thinner smoke deflectors to the existing model  would enhance its appearance immensely.

At the very least it would go some way in attempting to justify the current 2023 asking price.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Although the tooling hasn't changed much if you want a new Castle, as opposed to used ones which are a bit of a lottery in my experience, this (and her sister Caerphilly) is the only game in town!

I hate to drag this up here, but there are often some really decent Loco's at Auctions. I've acquired a fair old batch of WR (and two GWR Halls) ones recently and mostly ex Shop stock. Even with Commission and Postage I have only paid around half the E Bay asking Prices. Further back I got numbers of Bulleids at decent prices BUT even at Auction many Pacifcs are going for £120 before Commission etc.

With 'used' examples I've received loads with a Decoder already fitted despite no mention, even a couple of Sound ones and that's £100 of Sound Programme! I got one decent Bulleid with broken Valve Gear for £30. A £14 set from Lendons sorted that!

Out of probably 50 Engines bought at Auction, I've only got one that's really rubbish (Hornby Standard 4 75XXX) and Hornby 34053 which had a limp like a three legged dog which isn't unusual for that batch I am told. I am working on both those, but the 75XXX really is carp.

I look for rather obscure Auction houses and not Vectis, which has often got great stuff but has a team of Trader bidders that win everything decent. One House,  Drakes in Tavistock, had a large personal collection recently; (Unused and mostly MIB) and most went for silly low bids! That's because that collection was part of a so called Collectables Auction and obviously wasn't noticed by the Trader Vultures! 

I've had to go to AA though (Auctions Anonymous), as almost every day there is somewhere, a load of stuff I MUST NOT BUY!

Phil

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

Having seen the latest Hornby Castle in the flesh , the green is much better , I still wouldn't pay the 200 sheets asked for it , even with the fancy big four collection box.

R30272_20231030132730_4173365_Qty1_Box.jpg.e27119f292e356d474fa993f537310be.jpg

Blimey! That box is the size of a hoose!

Not even a 4000 Gallon tender either...

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, gwrrob said:

You can't buy champagne with beer money.😁

Nope, Hornby seem to want champagne money for beer. Over £200 for a Bulleid which is almost identical to the ones I was buying 20 years ago. Time to sell a few more of the Treneglos ones I think...

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

Nope, Hornby seem to want champagne money for beer. Over £200 for a Bulleid which is almost identical to the ones I was buying 20 years ago. Time to sell a few more of the Treneglos ones I think...

In the past two years, I've bought five used ones for significantly less than the price of two at the current RRP, and a couple of  them were TMC renamed examples in unused condition....

John 

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

When the likes of Accurascale and Dapol can produce fine, newly tooled 7800 class 4-6-0s for the prices they charge, an unrebuilt Light Pacific project from either, for a maybe slightly higher RRP could delight many. Watch those pre-orders!

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
On 25/10/2023 at 23:32, Limpley Stoker said:

Lovely though your Grange is I’m  really looking to seeing your new Manor before and after it gets the @toboldlygo treatment. - won’t be long now !!

Not long , it’s out for delivery.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

Oh, I see, that explains your dilemma.

You are looking to raise money to purchase more panniers. Of course, your secret's safe with me.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, MrWolf said:

You can buy an awful lot of beer with £200 though, even at pub prices.

Loch Lomond Zoom Time £1:79 a can at Lidl this morning. What’s this beef about Hornby boxes though  ? It’s not just  on this forum that the teeth are gnashing. On Sunday morning I had to save a member of the Hornby team from a savaging about this same subject. Gave the guy complaining  an earwigging & he went packing.He was twice my size too ..which is not a difficult achievement considering my conspicuous lack of the vertical dimension. I think the packaging on the new Hornby locos is superb. Much more eye catching and certainly more secure .Seems they can’t win. Hey Ho. I am waiting eagerly today for the inaugural steaming of Hinton Manor on ANTB .Fingers crossed all will be well and she will be gracing our screens soon.

• Agree 4

36 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Loch Lomond Zoom Time £1:79 a can at Lidl this morning. What’s this beef about Hornby boxes though  ? It’s not just  on this forum that the teeth are gnashing. On Sunday morning I had to save a member of the Hornby team from a savaging about this same subject. Gave the guy complaining  an earwigging & he went packing.He was twice my size too ..which is not a difficult achievement considering my conspicuous lack of the vertical dimension. I think the packaging on the new Hornby locos is superb. Much more eye catching and certainly more secure .Seems they can’t win. Hey Ho. I am waiting eagerly today for the inaugural steaming of Hinton Manor on ANTB .Fingers crossed all will be well and she will be gracing our screens soon.

I just don't get that at all. Why on earth would someone get so worked up about a box? As long as it protects the contents and isn't the old polystyrene finger trapper, what's the problem? I'm more interested in what is inside anyway and I think (know!) I would have been less diplomatic.

If a box is the most important thing to an individual, it says a lot about them. Absolutely none of it good.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Harlequin said:

Edit: But you're right, if you've got the patience to wait a while the price will undoubtedly come down.

FYI then. Bure Valley Models have Caldicot  on at £158. 4 in stock.Free postage 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 30/10/2023 at 10:01, Mallard60022 said:

Panniers were banned from there as they couldn't ascend the slope without failing, even L.E.

Gone, at speed, already.

P

Intresting... back in 1973 there was a regular run steam all the way between Buckfastleigh and Paignton of stock movements..... I'll dig out some of Dads photos shortly

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, John Besley said:

Can't find the photo album I want - but I know 1638, went from Paignton and picked up 6412 and 1369 from Newton Abbot's old B shop that the DVR used as a works at the time (last engine to be outshopped there was 5239) but here's one -  December Thursday 19th 1974, 4555 delivered stock from Buckfastleigh to Paignton where she stayed untill February when she returned to Buck'

20231031_2000422.jpg.e5962dc0f857405f82d69873194a3998.jpg

20231031_2001292.jpg.4aec04ed1a7d3dc38071eebb40db970f.jpg

4555 at Dainton Photos; JR Besley

On Tuesday July 1st 1975 she brought over auto coach 228 a Sole and Toad arriving at Paignton 9:25 then returned the same morning at 10:17 with the Directors coach and W7 the dynamometer coach, and back to Buck' by midday

20231031_2013312.jpg.4d1d9c17a242ebbf84799bd5848777a7.jpg

20231031_2015192.jpg.be0e52f67c9fae3e4c555c25fea7fc46.jpg

4555 coming over Sands Road crossing off BR 

20231031_2015323.jpg.414de806b3ffb5c3930258f1267ee94f.jpg

4555  Climbing Paignton bank 1:80

Photos; JR Besley 

BR provided the crew along with a DVR driver on the footplate 

I really do need to scan these in properly instead using my phone...

XLNT. Hijacked in a very good way.

P

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

The only things I'd say about the competition to produce the largest Box is:

that it uses more material;

is difficult to smuggle into the House down ones Trousers;

takes up the space of 2 or three 'normal size' Boxes in the Stash Mountain.

If that says many things about me, none of them good, then I don't care.

Good day.

Phil 

• Like 2
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2