A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello everyone but mainly for Phil (Mallard)

I happened to be looking at the Motive Power Miscellany of TI July 1959 (which was published within The Locomotive magazine).

It seems that a Castle and two Granges ran light over the SR main line from Exeter to Basingstoke on clearance tests during June that year.

Brian

I know a Castle did run through SJ from Yeovil on a diverted WSR working (floods as usual I think and often the way down from Castle Cary). It was the Fat Boy Cylinder jobbies that were always at risk, rather than the Flat Boy Cylinder Castles

Weirdly, Counties were supposedly banned, BUT TI MPM reported on one doing the diversion jobby. Most often the Loco's on Diversions were Halls and 63XX; Many were Bristol Engines. My choice is going to be Bristol & Taunton on Downs and Exeter and even  Newton Abbot or Laira, and even (again) Taunton on Ups! However SR Engines were often used for Ups, even The Cornish Riviera on one occasion.

I can understand why they would want to assess from Basingstoke, as WR workings would often come down/go back that way anyway, but not usually on Exeter bound Trains. It could have been easier for Crews (SR Pilots available at Basingstoke, rather than Castle Cary?).

ATB

Phil.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Ribird said:

Not to bring this up again, but in Great Western Castle Class 4-6-0 Locomotives 1923-1959 by David Maidment and Bob Meanley, on page 60 shows an image of 4074 in October of 1924, clearly with the lubricator pipe cover.

There are a number of such photos. And as far as I can tell she had two different patterns of cover, with one much longer than the other.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, County of Yorkshire said:

I simply can’t believe Heljan have announced the LNER Garrett in OO - of which there was only ever one built - whilst we’re still waiting for a decent Saint (77 built) and County (30 built)! I just don’t get it. Can anyone tell me? 

Remember what a hash Heljan made of the 47XX…

We should maybe consider ourselves lucky! 😉

• Agree 3
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, Harlequin said:

I agree, but my comment was in relation to the OO RTR manufacturers per se. 

We are seemingly in an era where novelty and esotericism are the order of the day, and not filling the gaps of the essential workaday locos… its irritating in truth.

CoY

• Like 3
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, County of Yorkshire said:

I simply can’t believe Heljan have announced the LNER Garrett in OO - of which there was only ever one built - whilst we’re still waiting for a decent Saint (77 built) and County (30 built)! I just don’t get it. Can anyone tell me? 

I can't tell you that, and I agree it is a very strange choice. However, considering the number of comments that have been made recently about the supposed bias towards the LNER, may I respectfully point out some interesting facts, based on no more than five minutes research of the 1955 Ian Allan combined volume. The following LNER classes have never been produced in OO, and there are others which had far more prior to 1955 which I have ignored. B16 69 engines, K2 75 engines, J6 109 engines, J35 70 engines, J37 104 engines, J10 53 engines, J17 78 engines, C12 50 engines, N15 99 engines, N5 102 engines. There are another nine classes with between 25 and 50 engines, but I hope I may have made my point, especially if you count the number of new GWR announcements discussed on this thread in recent times alone. Sorry Rob!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, County of Yorkshire said:

Unique in appearance , very recognisable, and the most powerful steam locomotive to run in Britain. 

The two classes you mention are very desirable to modellers of a western persuasion but to others, look similar to a number of existing models viz Star, Castle, King, Hall, Grange, and Manor.  I suspect you will see a Great Bear before the gaps in the 4-6-0 classes are filled.

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

6 hours ago, County of Yorkshire said:

' That's not a Garratt..........That's a GARRATT!'

garratt.JPG.1abb82ed8924a62c2fdcfe1be559526f.JPG

• Like 12
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, County of Yorkshire said:

I agree, but my comment was in relation to the OO RTR manufacturers per se. 

We are seemingly in an era where novelty and esotericism are the order of the day, and not filling the gaps of the essential workaday locos… its irritating in truth.

CoY

The even more irritating truth is that they are satisfying demand from us, the customers. They only make what they think they can sell, after all.

So sadly it appears that there is greater demand for esoteric novelties than workhorses, at the moment.

In the GWR arena The Great Bear could, I suppose, be characterised as a "novelty workhorse" but I think it would have very limited appeal because of its restricted route availability, short lifetime as a 4-6-2 and even Churchward didn't like it.

• Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Harlequin said:

Oddly enough,mine’s ok,after some discreet weathering to tone the lining etc.down.It’s a powerful 4mm beast,like its prototype,so performance wise is outstanding. Don’t also overlook the ER O2 which is another mighty beast. Ben is I think aware of the issues of past failings and is doing his best to reassure us. As to whether any of us can find “space” for this new mammoth is entirely a different matter.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, great northern said:

especially if you count the number of new GWR announcements discussed on this thread in recent times alone. Sorry Rob!

Tis the season for announcements with Warley next weekend.

Screenshot_20231117-183501-340.png.6c00348f037b02e6989717f081bd5ac6.png.30c838fef3581f8c45b05306f91adf4f.png

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, John Besley said:

I knew I'd find a picture in my Father collection....

See if you can emulate it ....

20231118_0928522.jpg.9745be77550d438abe218ecc77fdff60.jpg

7013 Bristol Castle piloting 70022 Tornado through Brent 1957 - Photo JR Besley 

Ooooof. What a great shot that is.

Tornado was the only Brit I saw at Laira; late 1958 or possibly early 1959.

Phi

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Harlequin said:

The even more irritating truth is that they are satisfying demand from us, the customers. They only make what they think they can sell, after all.

So sadly it appears that there is greater demand for esoteric novelties than workhorses, at the moment.

In the GWR arena The Great Bear could, I suppose, be characterised as a "novelty workhorse" but I think it would have very limited appeal because of its restricted route availability, short lifetime as a 4-6-2 and even Churchward didn't like it.

The manufacturers, whilst cognisant of what more "serious" modellers desire to balance their operational requirements, have the other eye firmly focussed on what will tempt collectors and the Rule One mob.

Many of us, either by accident or design, fall into more than one camp. Given the cornucopia of r-t-r offered to us this century, it's become all too easy to be side-tracked from ones primary interests!  I most certainly don't have any legitimate need for a Jones Goods!

Also, the "single run and (maybe) some more in a few years time" business model that seems increasingly influential, suggests that esoteric subjects are perhaps not as commercially risky as we once thought. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
that was far too long a sentence!
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Ooooof. What a great shot that is.

Tornado was the only Brit I saw at Laira; late 1958 or possibly early 1959.

Phi

She was an 83D resident from new I think. I remember copping her at North Road from my train which had stopped there en route from Penzance to Cardiff…August 1953. Later in the 50’s,like all WR Brits,she moved to Canton.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, John Besley said:

I knew I'd find a picture in my Father collection....

See if you can emulate it ....

20231118_0928522.jpg.9745be77550d438abe218ecc77fdff60.jpg

7013 Bristol Castle piloting 70022 Tornado through Brent 1957 - Photo JR Besley 

Lovely photo , I have a BR early crest Castle but alas no Hornby Brit I'm afraid. Have Hornby ever done a WR allocated version ?

https://www.hattons.co.uk/directory/versiondetails/5055/hornby_oo_4_6_2_class_7mt_britannia_br

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, gwrrob said:

Lovely photo , I have a BR early crest Castle but alas no Hornby Brit I'm afraid. Have Hornby ever done a WR allocated version ?

https://www.hattons.co.uk/directory/versiondetails/5055/hornby_oo_4_6_2_class_7mt_britannia_br

I think yes. L/C 70015 Apollo. Surely an E/C Canton example ( 70025-70029 ) is due ? When originally allocated to Laira,one had the North Road -Penzance duty on the CRE,taking over from the King at Plymouth.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

70015 'Apollo' (R.2717) was a WR engine between 1953 and 1958, allocated to OOC and Canton.

The model has the WR smoke deflector mods, and late crest.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1