Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Pencarrow: nothing to see, move along please.

2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium

To be honest I'd love to do a 7mm British layout (based on an Essex prototype).

Unfortunately it's just not on due to all the current issues with sourcing "stuff" from the UK (like, everything, man). Space is not an issue either which makes it doubly frustrating.

So, go for it. Commit to it totally. I'll watch with interest, of course!

Best, Pete.

Pete, Is it importing the white Essex stilettos you're having problems with?

• RMweb Premium

Looks like standard electrical solder, unsure as to whether or not it's leaded or lead free.

SS

I think it was leaded - bought a good 5+ years back (when Treneglos was at Warley) and there was all that fuss about lead free solder. Fred advised me to get a big roll while it was still available.

I think it was leaded - bought a good 5+ years back (when Treneglos was at Warley) and there was all that fuss about lead free solder. Fred advised me to get a big roll while it was still available.

Usually quoted as 60/40 that's approximately 60% tin to 40% lead also contains flux, melting point 183deg C

Most common use for electrical wiring, Obviously Fred was following the panic by others when lead free was introduced, which was the same for the Millenium bug a load of hot air, it's still available

Their are betters choices for doing kit building, 

Carrs 188deg

Carrs 140deg the one that C&L made everybody panic about

There is now a 100deg solder from Carrs /C&L which is far better than the old 70 deg solder for soldering white metal to white metal or brass and you don't have to pre tin the brass with a higher temp solder to get a secure joint

Being that you have got 400 grams of 60/40 that's a lot of layout wiring

Appears to melt when heated and I know that's good....

Yes it does at 183 deg which will be hard to use when the amount of metal you have assembled becomes larger and becomes a bigger heat sink

You need to use solder of different melting points ( step soldering ) which means you can overcome the heat loss by using a lower melting point solder especially when adding detail, 

You also need to do this when soldering small parts together attaching the latter bits with a lower temp solder so that the original parts that you have soldered dont fall apart

• RMweb Premium

Usually quoted as 60/40 that's approximately 60% tin to 40% lead also contains flux, melting point 183deg C

Most common use for electrical wiring, Obviously Fred was following the panic by others when lead free was introduced, which was the same for the Millenium bug a load of hot air, it's still available

Their are betters choices for doing kit building, 

Carrs 188deg

Carrs 140deg the one that C&L made everybody panic about

There is now a 100deg solder from Carrs /C&L which is far better than the old 70 deg solder for soldering white metal to white metal or brass and you don't have to pre tin the brass with a higher temp solder to get a secure joint

Being that you have got 400 grams of 60/40 that's a lot of layout wiring

Thank you for that explanation.

Do I get any extra 'making life harder on myself' points for using it to build brass kits?

• RMweb Premium

Yes it does at 183 deg which will be hard to use when the amount of metal you have assembled becomes larger and becomes a bigger heat sink

You need to use solder of different melting points ( step soldering ) which means you can overcome the heat loss by using a lower melting point solder especially when adding detail, 

You also need to do this when soldering small parts together attaching the latter bits with a lower temp solder so that the original parts that you have soldered dont fall apart

Sounds like I should really be getting double 'making life hard for myself' points for the clay wagon then!

I've just had a look through the box of soldering bits and bobs i have and i've got two packets of different solder from Hobby Holidays.

The first is 179deg solder with 2% silver

The second is 145 deg solder

I'm assuming that using these would be a better idea?!

• RMweb Gold

Though I know didley-squat about solder, brass kits and the like, I do know about the Millennium Bug, and it was certainly not hot air.

The use of only two digits to store the year value, in thousands of computer programs and applications could have caused countless problems from the banal to the deadly serious. The effort, world-wide, by un-named and largely ridiculed programmers to prevent such disasters goes largely unthanked - had the work not been done there would have been a public outcry.

• RMweb Premium

Grrrrr. Templot 1 - Spams 1

Trying to master the transition curve functions. Have watched the tutorials and still get invalid command no matter what I seem to try doing with the two curves and where they are placed. 

Decided to wind up Worzle Gummage (Paul) instead. 

• RMweb Premium

The 60/40 solder should be ok for doing the basic joints and then use the 145 for adding detail.

Don

Thanks Don

Just seen the prices of 500g rolls of solder - its shot up in price - I seem to recall buying the 60/40 for around £10. 

I have detail bits to do on the Toad E at some stage so will have a crack at using the 145.

Thinking about it, there were a fair few sub assemblies on the clay wagon (brake thingies and door bangs) that I could have done with the 60/40 off-model and then added using 145. That would probably reduced the colourful choice of words somewhat. 

You might want to try a resistance soldering iron if your budget can run to it. These things don't take the place of conventional soldering but complement them and are ideal for details. You need solder paste for these though. others may disagree and some people don't get on with them. However I wouldn't be without mine.

It's one of those tools you don't often use but you are really glad you have them when needed. Rolling bars are another.

Paul R

• Like 1

You don't "need" solder paste to compliment an RSU - but I expect it helps! I've been working with conventional 60/40 flux-cored electrical solder, tinning carefully cleaned brass before using my home-made RSU and the results are fine... applying flux with a fine brush is very helpful if you're going that way. I am actually investing in some solder paste and some lower-melting-temperature solid solder to help out my process - you can cut down a tree with a junior hacksaw, but having the right tools sure do make it quicker, cleaner and easier. 

Moral of the story.... um...!

Pete, Is it importing the white Essex stilettos you're having problems with?

It's a (little) known fact that what Essex is to England, New Jersey is to the USA.................

Seriously I resent the way that shipping/postal costs have shot through the roof, Internationally, in the last couple of years whilst the actual service seems to have got worse.

If you look at O Gauge Finescale over here (or P48) you are met by a wall of "you make the mistakes we did and you will learn" which is fine but I'm running short of time for all that. I must note that there are some wonderful people who are exceptions to this rule......and I'll name them if anyone asks.

The difference of 1/48 to what is it: 1/43 (?) and Bullhead to Flatbottom    means that one is also shipping pieces of steel over the Atlantic.

I often wonder     whether 2 rail finescale in the USA would be in better shape if Lionel ceased to exist.

I've been enjoying the discussion on "solder" and it's use on your thread - it's way more complicated than I thought.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Ok folks have I been dreaming or is there a thread somewhere on this site showing an alternative way of making Vs for common crossings involving bending a length of rail in half and then filing both sides down? I've run lots of different searchs, been pointed to lots of other fine threads but not found the one I'm looking for.

• RMweb Premium

Bending would lead to distortion, so I would not recommend going down that route.

What problems are you experiencing making a crossing V?

Also sent PM on another topic.

Thanks Paul, I'm not having any problems (yet) but was going to try a few of the different techniques i'd seen to see which I get best get on with.

Ok folks have I been dreaming or is there a thread somewhere on this site showing an alternative way of making Vs for common crossings involving bending a length of rail in half and then filing both sides down? I've run lots of different searchs, been pointed to lots of other fine threads but not found the one I'm looking for.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/37678-handbuilt-track/page-2

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/49161-first-attempt-at-handbuilt-track-a-complete-novice%E2%80%99s-experience/

Edited by Debs.

• RMweb Premium

Bending would lead to distortion, so I would not recommend going down that route.

What problems are you experiencing making a crossing V?

Also sent PM on another topic.

Thank you for the info on the other topic, much appreciated.