RMweb

Pencarrow: nothing to see, move along please.

2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium

The problem with 0-4-4s and to a lesser extent 4-4-0s is balancing the weight of the model so that a good proportion is over the drivers. As Peter points out, it looks as if it is in reality an 0-4-0 with the bogie providing support dependant upon spring rate. Too soft and the loco will sit down at the bunker end and the front drivers may be at the point of lifting off the rails. Too stiff and the tendency will be for the rear drivers to lift. The result could well be a loss of adhesion in either case. By design, with twin beam and a pivot over the bogie, the weight will be shared over both driving axles equally with a fixed and constant amount on the bogie. With Jim's design, if you add lead sheet to the side tanks, that is behind the line of the rear drivers and will load the bogie spring rather that add weight to the drivers. So adding weight could well reduce its hauling power, which is counterintuitive. Does that make sense Chris?

My O2 may not glide with silky smoothness of a sprung chassis, but it could have a good bash at pulling the ACE!!

Thanks Paul, looks like folk are advocating pivoting beams to the front two driven axles. I can see the advantages and reasons.

• RMweb Premium

Hmmmm.

I have to say there's something I don't understand here.

If you draw an arc to follow the way the compensation works - it works against the coupling rods.

So does the dipping of a wheel cause the rods to be a bit tighter?

Am I missing something?

Yes...but the distances involved are tiny (as long as the wheels only move up and down a small distance) and I think this is taken up in the clearances within the coupling, bearing and pin.

• RMweb Premium

Now then boys and girls, were looking for suggestions as to where wheels like the ones below may be acquired. They are 3' diameter so we're looking at 21mm.

post-6675-0-10061700-1410594297.jpg

The real ones were cast and the thickness of the rim and spokesman is much reduced over the standard Slaters product.

Any ideas?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Some comments and for a change they could be considered as being sensible.

Pencarrow board building -totally inspiring for Seatonish, as I am about to embark on that particular woodwork GCE project.

Can I borrow all those very nice tools and clampy things please? I have a suitable vehicle to transport them.

NCE Powercab control - can recommend as long as it has the upgrade and you use 5A boosters. The Hand Held is very user friendly and you can use two at once if you are clever as you are clever,  as I've been informed that you are clever enough.

A most enjoyable read through this story despite not being tempted by the dark side (yet).

ATB Chris.

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Richard Davidson built a very similar one and it is written up in the G0G gazette an archive search for the author and it was called a thirty year project. Feb 2010 if you have the issue

He made his own wheels and his were split spoke probably not the answer you wanted but his articles are interesting.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Now then boys and girls, were looking for suggestions as to where wheels like the ones below may be acquired. They are 3' diameter so we're looking at 21mm.

attachicon.gifrps20140913_083708.jpg

The real ones were cast and the thickness of the rim and spokesman is much reduced over the standard Slaters product.

Any ideas?

Do Slaters do that type of wheel in that size in their narrow gauge range, if so Just ask Dave White for standard gauge axles, that is what my late friend Wally of this parish did when he was building some Leemoor tramway wagons did.

• RMweb Premium

Just in case some folk haven't put 2 and 2 together and realised that this thread is quiet because I'm busy building something else...well, I'm busy building something else on this thread. The something else is a GWR 1366 Dock Tank using the Agenoria kit. Here's a random selection of photos to show what excitement you're missing on the other thread!...

post-6675-0-53359300-1411766205_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-90521900-1411766198_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-74579300-1411766195_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-31166800-1411766193_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-25945100-1411766187_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-18723300-1411766190_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-85432700-1411766183_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-12547800-1411766181_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-90976100-1411766545_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-13984300-1411766549_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-38227100-1411766551_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-28078500-1411766554_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-48580800-1411766556_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Having had a temporary reprieve from the loonie bin, I've been thinking about the very long term stock wishlist for this layout and its potential source.

Locos:

A Beattie Well Tank is an absolute must for this layout. As far as I know the only kit in production is by Roxey but this seems to my eyes to be a bit compromised in places. Laurie Griffin has the old Shedmaster version on his books but I understand he's not happy with the chassis and so only sells the body etched at present. The best option may be to repatriate Paul and/or Peter's examples...otherwise this is going to be a long-term wait and see loco choice.

Next we have a LSWR O2. Until recently the choice was between various versions that all had issues or dimensional problems. Thankfully Jim at Connoisseur has come to the rescue with a new kit to his range. I accidentally bought one at Telford show and so this will be next year's project.

With a BWT a long-term proposition, the obvious alternative for the mineral line was a GWR 1366 dock tank. They took over from the BWTs in real life. I bought one of these kits from Agenoria at the Kettering show this year and the loco is now under construction on a separate thread. I may be a while with this!

For the later period there's the new JLTRT kit for the Class 22 and the RTR AC Railbus produced by Heljan. The 22 would involve new skills sets for me as it will require working with resin and producing working powered bogies. The railbus involves Just opened a box which, after the joys of the 1366 build, has a certain attraction!

Post O2 and pre Class 22 the real SR Bodmin lines were taken over by the Ivatt 2-6-2 tanks. A good looking small tank with wide appeal that would be ideal for Ixion ;-p. Kits appear to be produced by ACME and DJH, of which I have no idea of the relative pros and cons. Any views folks?

We then turn to the very long term nice to have some day list...

David Andrews does a N Class and Laurie Griffin does a T9. Both are really to big for Pencarrow but I do like these classes and they were regulars on the nearby NCR. The N Class also worked to Bodmin North...

And finally, the major elephant in the room is a Bulleid airsmoothed light pacific. Way too big but there's rule 1....

• RMweb Premium

Coaching stock.

This is easier as the period I'm looking at gives me the choice of Bulleid and Maunsell stock.

I've already got, and have started, a Slaters Maunsell BCK. Ideally this needs to be joined by a BSK to make up a 2-set P. Slaters don't produce the second kit but will sell extra side sections from other kits to aid kit bashing one. That approach will be on the cards but let's finish the BCK first!

To supplement this the long-term plan is to add a Bulleid loose BCK. CRT do a kit but I'm not sure how that measures up to the prototype.

Edited to correct my BCK and BSK refs.

Having had a temporary reprieve from the loonie bin, I've been thinking about the very long term stock wishlist for this layout and its potential source.

Next we have a LSWR O2. Until recently the choice was between various versions that all had issues or dimensional problems. Thankfully Jim at Connoisseur has come to the rescue with a new kit to his range. I accidentally bought one at Telford show and so this will be next year's project.

Hi Chris

How do you "accidentally" buy a loco kit, if you can impart that knowledge it may prevent future outbreaks of war in the Davies houshold if I can claim to have "accidentally" built a layout and bought all the stock to go with it :jester:

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Freight stock.

The mineral line will need clay wagons and WEP do a nice kit. I've already built one and suspect another will be added each year.

The real lines saw a good variety of brake vans. I already have a SR pilbox (Parkside) and LNER Toad E (connoisseur) underway. On the long-term wishlist are two more kits from Connoisseur - a LSWR 24T Brake and a SR Queen Mary. The latter would be based on the one that lived at Wadebridge, complete with steel plating, and would need some kit bashing to produce.

Other than that I'm slowly building up wagon kits from Slaters and Parkside etc.

• Like 1

Locos:

A Beattie Well Tank is an absolute must for this layout. As far as I know the only kit in production is by Roxey but this seems to my eyes to be a bit compromised in places. Laurie Griffin has the old Shedmaster version on his books but I understand he's not happy with the chassis and so only sells the body etched at present. The best option may be to repatriate Paul and/or Peter's examples...otherwise this is going to be a long-term wait and see loco choice.

With a BWT a long-term proposition, the obvious alternative for the mineral line was a GWR 1366 dock tank. They took over from the BWTs in real life. I bought one of these kits from Agenoria at the Kettering show this year and the loco is now under construction on a separate thread. I may be a while with this!

For the later period there's the new JLTRT kit for the Class 22 and the RTR AC Railbus produced by Heljan. The 22 would involve new skills sets for me as it will require working with resin and producing working powered bogies. The railbus involves Just opened a box which, after the joys of the 1366 build, has a certain attraction!

Post O2 and pre Class 22 the real SR Bodmin lines were taken over by the Ivatt 2-6-2 tanks. A good looking small tank with wide appeal that would be ideal for Ixion ;-p. Kits appear to be produced by ACME and DJH, of which I have no idea of the relative pros and cons. Any views folks?

We then turn to the very long term nice to have some day list...

David Andrews does a N Class and Laurie Griffin does a T9. Both are really to big for Pencarrow but I do like these classes and they were regulars on the nearby NCR. The N Class also worked to Bodmin North...

And finally, the major elephant in the room is a Bulleid airsmoothed light pacific. Way too big but there's rule 1....

Locos

You'll need a class 25 and then a 37.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thats best best I can do for the o2 cab seeing how much fun your having with the 1366.

This is Colbourne at Havenstreet.

post-8525-0-05328400-1411894186_thumb.jpg

Don

ps you can have a copy of the originals

Edited by Donw
  • Like 1

Coaching stock.

I've already got, and have started, a Slaters Maunsell BSK. Ideally this needs to be joined by a BCK to make up a 2-set P. Slaters don't produce the second kit but will sell extra side sections from other kits to aid kit bashing one. That approach will be on the cards but let's finish the BSK first!

Hi Chris

Slaters do list a Maunsell BCK

https://slatersplastikard.com/linePage.php?code=7C023E

Ian