Pencarrow: nothing to see, move along please.

2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium

Well this evening jobs completed have included:

1. Adding a few more black patches to grey wagons (I missed a couple)

2. Adding transfers to the PMV and painting appropriate bits black on the body

3. Patch painting all the bits of black missed during the big spraying session. Sometimes easier than fancy masking

4. A fair while dulling down the redness of the red primer on the ex-LNER brake with dry brushed Rail match 303, then painting the handrails light grey (Rail match 309) rather than white and concreting the end platforms (Humbrol RC 422).

It's taken a while but the brake now looks like this:

post-6675-0-01900800-1462396679.jpg

post-6675-0-55582700-1462396695_thumb.jpg

Transfers next then further toning and weathering. PS, what colour should the Vac pipes on each end be?

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Also in the not to start yet pile is a rake of BR stuff:

post-6675-0-87433300-1462397102_thumb.jpg

I think I've said previously that the 'to do' kit pile is plenty large enough to keep me occupied for a while! They have all been picked up as and when I've seen them at reduced prices (internet and shows) and have been ticked off a targeted 'wants list'.

Other than bits, I can't see me needing much from Telford this year...

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.giftmp_19397-rps20160504_220550690892312.jpg

I think I've said previously that the 'to do' kit pile is plenty large enough to keep me occupied for a while! They have all been picked up as and when I've seen them at reduced prices (internet and shows) and have been ticked off a targeted 'wants list'.

I get just one birthday and one Christmas a year.. What's going on here?

Andy

Rob, in case you're concerned about a lack of GWR wagons, the following (plus two more brass O13 clays) are in the to-do (but not to start yet) pile:

attachicon.giftmp_19397-rps20160504_220505484144264.jpg

That's more than enough of them for a proper railway

attachicon.giftmp_19397-rps20160504_220550690892312.jpg

I have already a list for Telford, The only thing missing is the £1500 for the travelling expenses for the weekend.

• RMweb Premium

NPCS - parcels, horse boxes, siphons, fruit vans, etc.

They didn't have the cream part of the passenger stock livery, so got called "brown vehicles".

NPCS.. Non passenger coaching stock? Is that correct?

Andy

• RMweb Premium

NPCS - parcels, horse boxes, siphons, fruit vans, etc.

They didn't have the cream part of the passenger stock livery, so got called "brown vehicles".

Thanks for the confirmation Simon. Having looked at lots of photos of the traffic going to Wenford and Bodmin North it would appear the just about every wagon was a bog standard open or van - other than the Wadebridge Queen Mary and some fuel tankers. I've yet to spot any long wheelbase wagons such as tubes or plates, I've not noted any horse boxes or large minerals, and not a single CCT or siphon. Fruit vans seem to be used but presumably as normal vans.

Now I don't know if I've just been unlucky with the shots I've seen, or if photographers missed them , or if there was just no need in terms of the traffic requirements. My memory may be playing tricks but do I recall a well wagon in one photo? Please shout folks if you've seen some more interesting wagons at Wenford or Bodmin North.

Either way I'm attempting to have stock that was representative of the area. As Mark pointed out to me in a recent reality check, I need to avoid a common modeller's practice of buying one of each Parkside/Slaters kit! I have however been totally reckless and bought a Southern PMV for no other reason than I like them. Living life to the max here in Spam Towers!

• RMweb Premium

That's more than enough of them for a proper railway

I have already a list for Telford, The only thing missing is the £1500 for the travelling expenses for the weekend.

For a cut in the savings, I'm happy to be your personal shopper ;-p

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

By the way folks, the observant amongst you will note the absence of the characteristic horizontal rails behind the windows of the PMV. I've not forgotten them, just not got round to fitting the etches that were gratefully donated. They are on the to-do list which, despite all the progress of late, doesn't appear to be getting shorter.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

By the way folks, the observant amongst you will note the absence of the characteristic horizontal rails behind the windows of the PMV. I've not forgotten them, just not got round to fitting the etches that were gratefully donated. They are on the to-do list which, despite all the progress of late, doesn't appear to be getting shorter.

Any chance of a piccy of the etches and an internal view with the glazing in situ.

Edit for clumsy fingers on the tablet.

Edited by Siberian Snooper

• RMweb Premium

Any chance of a piccy of the etches and an internal view with the glazing in situ.

Yes, I've got some on the phone and will post at lunchtime.

• RMweb Premium

Here you go:

Inside the PMV.

post-6675-0-41974600-1462451123_thumb.jpg

Dan's bar etches.

post-6675-0-03504000-1462451157_thumb.jpg

Cover slips originally used (too fragile)

post-6675-0-10841300-1462451219.jpg

Thicker slides now used.

post-6675-0-88973700-1462451332.jpg

Different things I'm trying to see which fixes the glazing best.

post-6675-0-00949500-1462451403.jpg

Suggestions gratefully received on the best glass cutting and fitting methods.

Missing world "glass" added to the final line...

Edited by 2ManySpams
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

If you leave the tabs on when you cut them out and then bent them through 90 deg would there be enough stand off for the etches too stand clear of the glass. Failing that some plasticard packing glued to the body clear of the glass and then the etch stuck too that.

Suggestions gratefully received on the best glass cutting and fitting methods.

I tried both the microscope slides and the coverslips, and found that the coverslips being between 0.3 and 0.7mm thick were easy to cut to shape.

To cut both varieties I used a pointed tool from a diamond cutting burrs set, I just scratched along a length a couple of times and then snapped the glass. There is quite a bit of wasteage, and failed attempts, but it's not exactly dear stuff, especially the coverslips.

I also wouldn't recommend using coverslips for stock that will be transported to shows, etc, as they're quite brittle. 

As for fixing the glass in place I used Humbrol Clearfix as it gives a nice flexible base for attachment of the glass.

Hope this helps

Jinty ;)

• RMweb Gold

If you leave the tabs on when you cut them out and then bent them through 90 deg would there be enough stand off for the etches too stand clear of the glass. Failing that some plasticard packing glued to the body clear of the glass and then the etch stuck too that.

It was a few years ago, but I seem to recall simply gluing the full thickness part of the etches directly to the glazing material with canopy glue. That then leaves a gap between the half-etched part and the glazing.

post-6732-0-86322800-1462474333.jpg

I used canopy glue because I didn't want to risk fogging the plastic glazing material I'd used with superglue fumes!

(Looking good by the way Chris).

Regards

Dan

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Now that is even worse, knowing someone is enjoying them self as well as spending your money.

Have you never been married/lived with someone?

My daughters also fall into that category.

• RMweb Premium

I tried both the microscope slides and the coverslips, and found that the coverslips being between 0.3 and 0.7mm thick were easy to cut to shape.

To cut both varieties I used a pointed tool from a diamond cutting burrs set, I just scratched along a length a couple of times and then snapped the glass. There is quite a bit of wasteage, and failed attempts, but it's not exactly dear stuff, especially the coverslips.

I also wouldn't recommend using coverslips for stock that will be transported to shows, etc, as they're quite brittle. 

As for fixing the glass in place I used Humbrol Clearfix as it gives a nice flexible base for attachment of the glass.

Hope this helps

Jinty ;)

Thanks Jinty, must admit that I was quite disappointed with the original cover slips. So thin that the slightest pressure resulted in breaking or shattering. As some recommend, I tried laminating two together using the mounting solution but found great difficulty getting all the air bubbles out. I also found the still broke incredibly easily. Not good if the stock is handled or transported.

Do I moved to using a single, thicker slide. Harder to cut but more resilient. I've got a glass scribe on order which should hopefully make the cuts cleaner. It's all good practice for potentially using glass to glaze the Maunsell coach. Not something I'm looking forward to! And yes the glass scrap pile is quite big already.

For the coach, I'll start by cutting the large corridor side windows so hopefully any mistakes van be cut down to use on the smaller windows. We'll see.

• Like 1