57xx's Workbench - more wagons and a Siphon C

57xx

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, jimwal said:

The kit does come with W/M buffers which may be sourced from LMS

Thanks for confirming Jim. I recall being very impress with the kit when I open it up the first time, the inclusion of the buffers being part of that.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Another project on the go:

TubeChassis.jpg.5bfcffd0fc9c8e86fb09391f5480c63a.jpg

I spent ages trying to get a Ratio Open C kit, then about a year ago two came in quick succession. It was immediately obvious the chassis was not that good so I splashed out on a couple of Morgan Design underframes. This is the first one going together. If the brake blocks look like they are out of line, it's because the are. What I should be doing is using the spacer provided for 00 gauge wheels, however I'm using the built in EM spacing. Why? Because I can! Who knows, with all this new RTR EM tack, I might dabble in a small plank and build the Highlevel Pannier chassis I have to EM and then all I have to do is swapped some wheelsets in a few wagons to have a play. It'll 99% never happen but hey, I'll be prepared for the 1% chance.

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

Some really nice kits you're working on, and so neatly built as always.

I hadn't heard about the Morgan kits, looks like a good benefit from Scalefour society membership. Must see if I can find a list of the range.

Edited by Mikkel
Find not fund!
  • Thanks 1

On 18/04/2023 at 22:22, 57xx said:

After another massive lull in posting, it's time for some updates. Firstly a pic already taken of the Parkside LMS D1661 cattle wagon. This was a joy to put together, as the majority of Parkside kits are. I'm hoping that once painted, the holes that were drilled for holding the wire rails in place will get hidden, I maybe should have just superglued them straight on to the side but was unsure how strong they would be.  I might put spot of Green Stuff in the holes first actually...

D1661-1.jpg.4dc0f6b33fc54e6074a49a04b212844d.jpg

I now need to dig through the stock box and find what else I've built over the last few months and get the camera out!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news: I think there is an issue with the sides on this kit, unless LMS wagons had provision for a partition at both ends?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, richbrummitt said:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news: I think there is an issue with the sides on this kit, unless LMS wagons had provision for a partition at both ends?

Funny you should say that, I noticed that the other night after photographing it and thought it was odd. On checking the Essery books, it is wrong, I'm guessing for ease of production of the kit, requiring only one mould. I've probably missed something in the instructions to remove them from one end of the sides (if I even read them....) and wasn't paying attention. Luckily it's not painted yet and should be easy enough to remove.

Edit: looking at the pic again, I can see I've also cocked up the brakes!

Edited by 57xx

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Mikkel said:

I hadn't heard about the Morgan kits, looks like a good benefit from Scalefour society membership. Must see if I can find a list of the range.

Edited 4 hours ago by Mikkel
Find not fund!

Thanks Mikkel. "Fund" would actually be appropriate when you see just how much they have. 😀

I can send you a PDF of the instructions, they contain a list of the full range in there. Jeremy is great to deal with too.

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Possibly the kit is designed not to be "handed" until assembly? 

I think that I have the right wagon here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-diesels/27110558176/in/photostream

And whilst I was digging about for a picture you solved it!

That's a cracking photo Rob.  Did somebody say "character"?

• Agree 1

I like the chalked information at various points on the woodwork, I can't blow the picture up enough on this phone. I think that I will get Miss R to print it out on Monday, as I seem to have purchased two Parkside kits thanks to this thread!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Having recently found a Ratio Open C to add to the kit stock I was interested in the comments about the Morgan Designs chassis kit for it.  With some online searching I found this page on the Scalefour Society stores page (meant to be members only?) which lists them:

https://www.scalefour.org/members/stores/shops.php

A very long information and instruction PDF for them is also available to download here:

https://www.scalefour.org/resources/downloads

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I like the chalked information at various points on the woodwork, I can't blow the picture up enough on this phone. I think that I will get Miss R to print it out on Monday, as I seem to have purchased two Parkside kits thanks to this thread!

If you are into chalked instructions / destinations, I can supply a transfer sheet of them - see Sheet BL99 on the Cambridge Custom Transfers website.

John Isherwood.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 26power said:

Having recently found a Ratio Open C to add to the kit stock I was interested in the comments about the Morgan Designs chassis kit for it.  With some online searching I found this page on the Scalefour Society stores page (meant to be members only?) which lists them:

https://www.scalefour.org/members/stores/shops.php

A very long information and instruction PDF for them is also available to download here:

https://www.scalefour.org/resources/downloads

And if you aren't an S4 member, just go to this shop on ebay :)

GCR427

Also something to note about the Open C chassis: It is designed for the David Geen kit, not the Ratio so one, so there are some quirks. The ratio floor with it's fake chassis members is not really any use, it's easier to build up a new floor from plasticard. The chassis itself does not seem wide enough, there is a few mm gap each side in relation to the backs of the solebars on the Ratio kit. Whether this is a "problem" with the chassis or the kit with it's integrated solebars/side I haven't had a chance to figure out yet. I need to get some dimensions and compare to prototype. You would think the chassis spacing between W irons is correct as it holds the wheels perfectly, but there is a big gap between the brake handle and central V hangers and the Ratio sole bars. On the prototype, the Vs are attached to the back of the sole bar. My intial thoughts are it is a Ratio issue, but I will still check, and then have to figure out the solution. Maybe have to purchase matching brass solebars off Jeremy to get things lined up.

Edited by 57xx
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the advice there. I'll have to dig out the Open C kits and give them a proper look over.

One of the Parkside cattle wagon kits has arrived already. 

As for the second, I got a discount offer from the seller for a Colin Ashby LMS double bolster wagon kit, so I bought that too.

Damn....

• Like 1

Thanks for information.  I did wonder why the Open C wasn’t listed in the list of Ratio kits in the Morgan Designs PDF but assumed it was because it was no longer in production, or hasn’t been for some time, I don’t think.  

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, richbrummitt said:

6 hours ago, 57xx said:

it is wrong, I'm guessing for ease of production of the kit, requiring only one mould. 

Yes, of course. Some modelling required! (Also some keeping your wits about you so as not to remove the partition guide from the same end on both sides...)

4 minutes ago, 26power said:

no longer in production, or hasn’t been for some time, I don’t think.  

Not in my modelling lifetime - discontinued before c. 1980!

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Not in my modelling lifetime - discontinued before c. 1980!

Thanks.  Was aware that it hadn’t been available for a while but hadn’t appreciated it was that long!  No wonder one has never got into my kit pile before now.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Surprise surprise, after measuring up, it is indeed the Ratio kit that has it's solebars too far apart. I can buy new solebars for the MD chassis easily enough. Chopping the integrated solebars off the sides of the Ratio kit could be a challenge. 

One other thing I noticed is the prototype picture in the kit is of an O19, looks different to the contents of the kit and the MD chassis is for an O8. it's time to dig out the books and check out the subtle differences, other than the buffers.

• Informative/Useful 2

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Chuffing Nora!! Ee's only gone and started another project whilst leaving half built kits around the place!

Yup, I have succumbed to one of @chuffinghell Chris's CC7's. Even though I have a Falcon Brass CC7 kit stashed away I decided to get one in case the FB one gets the better of me, I've still not completed a single brass kit yet. Anyway, this one was a lot simpler to put together.

ChuffinCC7-1.jpg.5a5c166223f8687e3bcf1985ba9db7d3.jpg

After all the debate about the colour of departmental wagons, I opted for black.

ChuffinCC7-2.jpg.08902de1d632a80564ece55214fcaa78.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

As I was saying... I opted for black undercoat, ready for the dark grey top coat. 🙂

ChuffinCC7-4.jpg.2b056b5b754cd85580a0c6e8432d6831.jpg

I need to glue the brake handles on before I lose them and place an order to Railtech for some transfers. Once weathered, the grey should darken down a bit more.

I've gone with Valejjo acrylics all over on this wagon. They have gone on very nicely. Using a "starter kit"  of Model Air paints, I mixed up some lead white for the roof using white and yellow ochre and then used the Blue Grey with a couple of drops of black in for the body and underframe. I have to say I'm very impressed with how it went on. My first dabble with Railmatch acrylics many years ago put me completely off them and it was enamels all the way. Now I have choices.

Edited by 57xx
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 3

Very nice job there and it's great to hear from a third party how they've found the model enjoyable and easy to build.

I can recommend the transfers from Railtec, they went on very well. 

Only the panels with transfers have received matt varnish so far, which is why they look a little lighter in colour. The roof is just placed on in this photo.

IMG_20230818_232409.jpg.cde83dc1b8c7f439e4c1c89f0dd05817.jpg

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Very nice job there and it's great to hear from a third party how they've found the model enjoyable and easy to build.

I can recommend the transfers from Railtec, they went on very well. 

Only the panels with transfers have received matt varnish so far, which is why they look a little lighter in colour. The roof is just placed on in this photo.

IMG_20230818_232409.jpg.cde83dc1b8c7f439e4c1c89f0dd05817.jpg

Thanks Rob, it was very easy to put together. Buffers heads are the H&A ones that it was designed for and I had in stock, I used Lanarkshire Model Supplies coupling hooks that slotted straight in. Being a bit cack-handed, I did manage to partially damage one of the brakes on the inside when fitting the wire, but that was easily glued back together. The finish of the print is fantastic.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, 57xx said:

I've gone with Valejjo acrylics all over on this wagon. They have gone on very nicely. Using a "starter kit"  of Model Air paints, I mixed up some lead white for the roof using white and yellow ochre and then used the Blue Grey with a couple of drops of black in for the body and underframe. I have to say I'm very impressed with how it went on. My first dabble with Railmatch acrylics many years ago put me completely off them and it was enamels all the way. Now I have choices.

Hi,

did you use an airbrush or just brush painted the model?  Vallejo have become my "go to" paints as I prefer acrylic to enamels as I prefer their ease of use and quick drying time, although this can be altered with a retarder.  I only brush paint and are very impressed with their coverage and lack of brush marks.

Roja

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

9 minutes ago, 37Oban said:

Hi,

did you use an airbrush or just brush painted the model?  Vallejo have become my "go to" paints as I prefer acrylic to enamels as I prefer their ease of use and quick drying time, although this can be altered with a retarder.  I only brush paint and are very impressed with their coverage and lack of brush marks.

Roja

Hi Roja, it was airbrushed. I just my used my cheapo Chinese brush that came with the compressor. I was a bit worried about clogging my H&S, but had nothing to worry about as it turns out. There was a bit of tip drying on the needle, but it cleaned off easily and wasn't enough to affect the flow. It probably helped that I used a few drops of thinners with flow enhancer and retarder in, though the Vallejo Model Air paints can be sprayed without thinning.

The coverage of their primer is brilliant. I've posted this image before, but it's worth showing again.

tank.jpg.fd961dbb419a302b4ee0b13397c46aff.jpg

Edited by 57xx
  • Like 4