Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Dobris In HO - (pronounced Dobzhreesh) - Milton Keynes show in June2024

roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

I have both factory fitted and third party sound dcoders. The best one is that supplied by Www.ben-zerba.cz/ which is a rather good shop in Prague. They speak excellent English and accept credit cards. Also ordered online from them. The sound file may well be the same as the Artol one installed on a axiom decoder.

Thanks for the info, only ever used ESU decoders before, so looks like something new to learn!!

I've just been naughty and ordered 749121 from Scograil. I assume the model has a 8 pin socket? Out of interest does the Zimo decoder come with a speaker?

Its a while since I ordered a Zimo sound decoder but IIRC it doesnt normally, so may be worth checking with the supplier. Roco locos are normally 8 pin, certainly my ones are.

Thanks I've dropped them a line to ask. I have several ESU speakers but not sure they would be suitable.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The layouts second outing in this year is Ally Pally. A good day yesterday and so far so good today.

A few photos.

The shot of the building is taken from the non public viewing side. Also shows that I still need to finish painting the rest downpipes!

post-1557-0-63544200-1490532080_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-91605700-1490532353_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

A few more photos from the weekend

The goods shed has a dart board in the window. However I did make the  mistake of glazing the window when really the glass is missing on the real building but i only onticed this on a subsequent visit.

post-1557-0-95312400-1490646625_thumb.jpg

The viewing / road side of the main building. A slight distortion in my phone lens which I noticed when taking photos of the track on another layout recently.

post-1557-0-83622900-1490646637_thumb.jpg

A general view of the layout. The foreground shows the garden of a restaurant so really need ot go back to sample the beer and take photos in the garden.

post-1557-0-45216300-1490646648_thumb.jpg

This Bardotka is in preserved colours so really should be on railtours rather than freight.

post-1557-0-02918000-1490646674_thumb.jpg

And finally the person waling between the rails is using perhaps the busiest walking route to the station

post-1557-0-24289900-1490646684_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 10

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

A few weeks ago we made another visit to Dobris by train.

There are more changes as the station building has had a refurbishment and now the building is chimneyless but does look a lot smarter than it was with  repainted walls, new seats  and new roof.  A few photos below. However I am keeping the run down look on the layout.

We will be exhibiting at the Silverfox show in Milton Keynes which is the layouts last show this year. A few new items of rolling stock should be in use tomorrow.

post-1557-0-36279100-1502480778_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-44923600-1502480808_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-02225700-1502480838_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

A good day operating the layout at Silverfox show today.

A few initial problems before the show opened but all was working at show opening time.

A visiting Albatross steam loco with sound was working well and was used at the end of the day to clear the freight from the yard.

post-1557-0-04250900-1502571448_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-77518900-1502571474_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Looking very good - disappointed I can't fit Dobris into my shed (too short)

What make is the Albatross?

Evening!

Yes, it's a bit of a hybrid.... it's 498.022

A Mehano 4-8-2 chassis(and tender bogies)

A 3d printed body and tender, with plasticard overlays where required to get a smooth finish

A roco 44 cab, and various detailing parts, including the drive for the centre cylinder - it had Mazak rot, so wasn't a huge loss.

Runs with a Zimo chip with sound... for a 498.1 (but, well... it sounds the part!)

Needs some finishing, but really pleased it worked well on Dobris - many thanks for the invitation to help out for the day Ian!

Richard.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

I only just noticed that it has been over a year since my last post on here.

The layout is still being exhibited although not as much as I would have liked but it does have two shows fast approaching.

This weekend it will be out in its shorter formation at High Wycombe, so stock will be cleaned in the next few days and I also hope to do a little bit of scenic work on the grain elevator.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

We had a great day at High Wycombe with plenty of interest in Czech railways us a few potential invites. Just one failed turnout solenoid which was replaced quickly and then the layout performed very well. Now lokking forward to Warley a few weeks time. Come and see us on stand C001

post-1557-0-34776100-1541272776_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-39004200-1541272873_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-38531300-1541272902_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

One loco that hadn't been serviced prior to the show was the Cmelak. Its a factory fitted sound decoder but wasn't very loud and all attempts to increase the volume resulted in distortion. So today the body came off and one of the two small speaibas now been replaced by an iPhone 4 speaker that has been cut down in length.

it now sounds so much better. Just requires more weathering before Warley.

post-1557-0-22584100-1541340324_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-20371000-1541340381_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just a few days to go before we set up the layout at the NEC but plenty of tasks that I want to do. 

This class 749 has now been renumbered and weathered and still requires a little more work but it will have to wait till after the weekend for that.

A lot more work has been carried out on the extension board that wasn't used at the last show with the garden of the house and dead end road being added. A bit of guess work for the garden as I wasn't sticking my head over the fence with a very noisy large dog on the other side on our last visit.

Come see us on stand C1 at Warley.

EDIT

will add the photos when the server lets me as the site is going so slow.

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

We had a superb weekend operating Dobris. The only issue with the layout was one solenoid that would throw just one way late Saturday afternoon but was soon fixed Sunday morning after removing from the layout and a soldering iron used to heat up the coil connections to the solenoids board. I use 9 pin D connectors on these so they are easy to disconnect and then reconnect to the layouts wiring.

We didnt make much use of the wireless throttles as for some reason we couldnt select a loco although we could change the turnouts from these  - all a bit odd but will look into this before the next show in 2019.

It was good to have Richard Ellis-Hobbs steam loco running on the excusrion train. Here is a short video of it running on Sunday.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Layout looked great although you were absent both times I stopped ;) Mike and I did compare challenge pudding notes over lunch yesterday :)

Paul

Thanks. I was pleased with the changes I made before the show and there are a few more to do.

I was behind the layout most of the time as it was too crowded out in the aisles and trying to keep my wallet in my pocket but you weren't the only one to keep missing me and I didn't even spend much time under the layout!

Now going to try iPhone speakers in another loco as the one fitted to the Cmelak really did sound so much better after this loco was fitted with one.

• RMweb Gold

A final photo from the Warley show with a class 742 on a Rake of four wheel trailers. We rode in one of these trailers on our first visit along the line to Dobris some years ago but it was a class 714 on the front. At present there isn't a ready to run one in HO hence the class 742 stand in. These did work services on tbe line that Dobris joins onto.

post-1557-0-44666400-1543335343_thumb.jpg

• Like 4