Dobris In HO - (pronounced Dobzhreesh) - derailed train

roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

A good day at RISEX.

Thanks to Gordon Mike and Dave for helping aswell as my other half for driving as I have been tired all day today after waking up at 2am.At least I used the time to do the dark brown Dobris signs on the station building and a few other tasks.

Anyway some photo from today.

post-1557-0-63175800-1455997046_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-88203500-1455997117_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-90014000-1455997129_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-76773200-1455997145_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Rob

'Pretty Czech'

Would would we do without online translation!

Last night and this morning I have been continuing work on the MU 69 maintenance vehicle. Just requires the detailing and final assembly of the mechanism before priming.

• RMweb Gold

John

I meant to come over and introduce my self but as usual got carried away messing with the sound levels as some were a bit loud whilst others too quiet whihc I dont recall this happening when we were in barrow last october.

Yes they were Bardotkas or Grumpys if you prefer. Plus one class 742 whihc was reasonably loud.

Just one Goggles on the layout this time though.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Since last Saturdays show at RISEX I have been fettling the Kadee couplers. One or two wagons wouldn't uncouple over the magnets possibly due to the trip pins once being too low and bent up to stop them hitting the turnout rails.

SO I have been going through the fleet and adjusting on the Kadee coupler gauge.

Last night the CSD steamer had the smoke deflectors fitted. These were obtianed as a spare form Roco to fit to the loco as produced by Roco but without the deflectors. The preserved one has these. Still a little filling required around the holes in the smoke box but this should be a quick job tomorrow.

A few more signals to fit this weekend in time for the St Neots show in two weeks time.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

This one is a Roco model with Zimo sound decoder and sugar cube speaker in the cab roof. Was purchased 2nd hand from a fellow Rmwebber.

Not too sure if the preserved one has been ot the real Dobris but rule number 1 applies if it hasn't.

Other steam locos have been to Dobris but not found models of the ones I have seen photos or videos of.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

With just a few days to go for the next show, plenty has been happening behind the scenes, well to the fiddleyard at least.

Thereis now a partial top covering towards the front of the fiddleyard to protect the stock from any unwanted fingers but also somewhere the photo album can be placed for viewers to browse through similar to st for Banbury and Santa Barbara. I did trial using tablets and PC screens in the past to display photos etc but it appears that more people prefer the old fashioned information where they can browse at their pace rather than the electronic display.

Also something missing on newer layouts that are using DCC turnout control is a panel to put the throttles or cups of tea on, so an old panel off 'Roundhouse' has now been modified for such purposes. This will bolt onto the back of the layout.

The ongoing task of cutting down C & L concrete sleepers to HO scale length is ongoing. About 40 done so far but this is really only half what is required to build a stack of old sleepers for the goods yard area.

Hopefully the next few evenings will see a little mor scenic work before the layout needs to be loaded Friday evening ready for an early start for e St Neots club show near Huntingdon.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all from Huntingdon.

We had a good day with the layout at the East Anglian show. Quite a bit of interest but plenty of visitors not interested and just walk by or don't know what country the layout is modelled on. I suppose the Czech flag hanging on the front of the layout just isn't recognised by many. So the presentation is one area that I really need to improve which will involve a few signs stating it is a Czech model. I am also hoping to build display in for panels that will clip onto the front of the layout with photos etc.to explain things a bit better.

Anyway some photos taken yesterday showing the warehouse extension board. Still a bit of work to do on this as a fence is required in front of he tank wagon.

Another photos shows the concrete sleeper stack.This needs to be twice the height that it currently is plus another couple of stacks alongside.

post-1557-0-99167800-1457853921_thumb.jpeg

post-1557-0-64156700-1457853933_thumb.jpeg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

;) Yes I've seen that with the G scale Harz and Rhatia, including those who say loudly as they walk by "its foreign".

You'd have thought the Swiss flag was well known but I used to get people asking if it was German all the time ;)

At least there are enough enlightened show organisers inviting it out for those who are interested to enjoy it :)

Morning all from Huntingdon.

We had a good day with the layout at the East Anglian show. Quite a bit of interest but plenty of visitors not interested and just walk by or don't know what country the layout is modelled on. I suppose the Czech flag hanging on the front of the layout just isn't recognised by many. So the presentation is one area that I really need to improve which will involve a few signs stating it is a Czech model. I am also hoping to build display in for panels that will clip onto the front of the layout with photos etc.to explain things a bit better.

Anyway some photos taken yesterday showing the warehouse extension board. Still a bit of work to do on this as a fence is required in front of he tank wagon.

Another photos shows the concrete sleeper stack.This needs to be twice the height that it currently is plus another couple of stacks alongside.

As Neville Chamberlain said, "a small country far away of which we know very little".  Not much has changed since 1939.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Strangely there was a lot more interest in layout today. The show was just as busy as Saturday.

The layout ran well over the weekend. Loaded and away form the show 30 minutes after closing and now on our way home via a few country roads before joining the A1m south of Biggleswade.

The layouts next show sent till December but the next layout out is Smrzovka our TT scale Czech layout. This has not been out for two years so will be good to operate it.

More photos to post of Dobria later.

Ian

• Like 1

Good modelling is good modelling, irrespective of where the model is set. Maybe that opinion is firmly in the minority, but I would certainly have liked to have seen Dobris. Family commitments seem to scupper all my plans lately. Is it still illegal to list your kids on ebay?

I do kind of understand the blinkered attitude to things that are unfamiliar, but to wander by muttering "it's foreign", as mentioned by Paul (above) just smacks a little of ignorance.

Glad you had a good show, Ian.

• Like 1

I can’t believe you are still having the “just a Foreign layout” comments  in the UK. I wonder how a layout based on Syrian Railways would fare? :senile:

Best, Pete.

Edited for stupidity by me.......

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Gold

A few more photos from he weekend at the Show.

The first shot shows the layout from the buffer stops. Well I use that loosely as one is big lump of concrete with just one wagon buffer remaining on it, another track There is a pile of concrete sleepers and the others nothing bar the rising ground. The car dealer is just checking his wallet after inspecting the cars for sale whilst a woman walks down between the tracks on this well worn walking route.

post-1557-0-74380000-1457940817_thumb.jpeg

A family waiting in what might have once been a well kept garden between the station building and goods shed. They will have to be careful of the fault line (baseboard joint)

post-1557-0-60734500-1457940891_thumb.jpeg

The modified full length fiddleyard with its newly installed LED lighting did make quite a difference despite the relatively good show venue lighting. There ism ore to do in the fiddleyard. This will get used on future layouts and wa built with a Fort Myers linked up to it so the track matched that layout before building Dobris.

post-1557-0-86682000-1457941023_thumb.jpeg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

A few more photos taken at last Sundays show.

A Cd class 742 awaits to depart with a string of 4 wheel trailers. This was a common sight a few years back but much rarer if at all these days.

post-1557-0-14395100-1458132792_thumb.jpg

A rather colourful Bardotka shunts the timber dock.

post-1557-0-34593500-1458132804_thumb.jpg

Right at the end of the show, well the last couple of minutes 'Phatbob' is just getting a loco hauled passenger service ready to depart the station. This was the last train of the show. Mike stands by ready to remove said train from the fiddleyard.

post-1557-0-12188400-1458132814_thumb.jpg

The rest of the stock had already been removed and packed away by this time. Much easier packing away the stock than on my N scale layouts!

The whole of the layout fits into the car along with 4 of us but this time there were just three in our car which meant that we didnt have to pack things quite so tightly in the back with the 24 feet of boards.

We were loaded and away from the show in 30 minutes.

Next show with this layout isn't until December 2016.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

A rather well put together video of 4 layouts at last weekends show. Dobris commences around 13 minutes. I was operating at the time so the bogie wagon derailment was on my watch. Not sure why it did as its the first time thats happened at that spot.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Layouts always play up the minute a video camera appears. There is a video of TYS on YouTube taken at the Solent show, and my star performer (Walthers Proto 1000 RS-2) choose that exact moment to stall on the grade crossing. I gently upped the power and it shot off at a great rate of knots. All caught on camera....

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Why do I always end up on the Modelbahnlippeshop page after looking at your Czech layouts? It's only the fact I can switch to the Tillig page and remind myself I need HSB stock still that's saving the card from a coronary!