Dobris In HO - (pronounced Dobzhreesh) - derailed train

roundhouse

I apologize in advance for the off topic tangent I'm about to embark upon:

This "Ugh, it's foreign" phenomenon we experience truely saddens me. At the last show I did I had this young lad, maybe 8 or 9, come racing over to investigate the snow on the layout. I was also doing the delayed magnetic uncoupling at the time. He was enthralled with it. Sat him self down and was just taking it all in.

His mother caught up with him and said quite loudly "Oh, it's American, you won't like that" and began trying to drag the poor boy away. I was stunned. Nearly dropped my tea.

As far as I'm concerned, a layout could be GWR terminus or a sugar cane narrow gauge line, I will still enjoy it for the artistry involved. Good modelling is good modelling, no matter where it is based.

And the more unusual, the better. Perhaps we should start saying "Oh it's another BLT" (tongue very firmly in cheek).

And clearly we are not the only ones as more and more "foreign" layouts are appearing at shows.

Blimey, it's rather windy up here on this soapbox..

• RMweb Gold

Rob

Yes sometimes its disheartening but when you do get some one who is interested they can be really interested and a long conversation ensues.

The biggest issue is that despite putting the information sheets on the fiddleyard and a Czech flag up people still don't realize what country it is. Ok the flag is not one of the more common ones that you see.

• RMweb Gold

Well I had lots of people say it was German with Rhatia despite a large, and supposedly well known, Swiss flag on the layout!

I'm always attracted by the modelling first even if I'm not a fan of the trains on the layout. For whatever reason certain stock and liveries just don't click for me but I can still appreciate the layout. I'll also confess to liking some of the oddball designs which is just one reason I keep bring tempted by Czech layouts like Ian's.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well I had lots of people say it was German with Rhatia despite a large, and supposedly well known, Swiss flag on the layout!

I'm always attracted by the modelling first even if I'm not a fan of the trains on the layout. For whatever reason certain stock and liveries just don't click for me but I can still appreciate the layout. I'll also confess to liking some of the oddball designs which is just one reason I keep bring tempted by Czech layouts like Ian's.

We would have stuck with Czech TT if there hadn't been a number of manufacturers now producing great Czech HO scale.

I have to keep resisting looking at the various manufacturers new stuff as my stock boxes are full!

• 4 weeks later...

Last night I drew up the smell garage and the toilet block that are next to the station building, cut them out and positioned them on the layout. The toilet block needed a bit of tweaking.

This morning the shell of the garage was cut and asembled from styrene. The toilet block is still the paper cut out in the photo.

The station has else has had a coat of creek paint but Sinthink that it needs to be a little more pinky.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Another task early this morning was to complete the cream band around one of the railcar trailers. Two more to do.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Hello, can you tell me what colors you use to paint the 010 trailers. Thank you in advance.

• RMweb Gold

Hi ther

I did originally get a couple of tins from a shop in Prague. However they dried up a hwile ago and I have been using Humbrol colours. I will have to dig out the red tin but the light cream is mixed up mainly with white and a touch of cream.

I will see if I can find them in the morning and post them here.

Ian

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi does anyone know how to get the sound files for the Rivarossi ČDC Rh753 it is the same as the Rivarossi Hr0100 V3.5 Loksound.Will the V3.5 be the same as the V4.0 for the Italian variant of the Rh753

I would have a word with Kevin at Coastal DCC. hes done all our Czech sounds for us albeit Zimo decoders but I am sure he will be able to help with Loksound.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Our last show this year is with Dobris at the European Railways Associations show in the H Suite Edgbaston this coming Saturday.

This will be this layouts third show this year. A few new items of rolling stock to give a test run aswell.

Whilst it is jsut about the longest layouts that I have built at 24 feet (although we will be not be using part of the fiddleyard this show)  its also one of the quickest to set up. All fits in one car along with up to four operators. However this trip two of our operators will be coming form Cheshire, one with a brand new part-scratch built steam loco.

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Our last show this year is with Dobris at the European Railways Associations show in the H Suite Edgbaston this coming Saturday.

This will be this layouts third show this year. A few new items of rolling stock to give a test run aswell.

Whilst it is jsut about the longest layouts that I have built at 24 feet (although we will be not be using part of the fiddleyard this show)  its also one of the quickest to set up. All fits in one car along with up to four operators. However this trip two of our operators will be coming form Cheshire, one with a brand new part-scratch built steam loco.

Do come along and say hello people.  I shall be there lending a hand.  Ben Racey of this parish will indeed be bringing along his newest Czech kettle. :-)

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Our first show of the year for us is with Dobris at the Newbury show next Saturday.

We will have a few new items of stock including Warbonnets superbly weathered Goggles and Bardotka.

Meanwhile drinking Czech beer in Usti Nad Labem in the Czech Republic.

post-1557-0-06632400-1486222608_thumb.jpg

And a class 742 in the snow at the station where we will be catching a railtour in the morning. More snow forecast

post-1557-0-52708300-1486222711_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Mojo definitely not back yet. Keep looking at all the HO figures for the coaches that need painting.

Even the beer mojo is not what it was but at least I am still having a few beers.

Remeber that bag of 500 painted, seated HO figures I picked-up in Utrecht Ian?  How much do you want it now? :devil:

• RMweb Gold

We had a good day at the Newbury show yesterday.

A busy show aswell. It was certainly cold outside whilst unloading the layout but the main hall was just about the right temperature.

A few little niggles to start with but the layout settled down well for the rest of the show.

Dan (WarbonnetUK) brought a couple of locos that he had recently weathered to a very good standard. A couple of photos of these two.

post-1557-0-76046300-1486914038_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-38411400-1486914059_thumb.jpg

The steam tour ran with Mikes recently built 4 wheel preserved coaches.

post-1557-0-06546900-1486914124_thumb.jpg

And finally a few more general photos. next show for Dobris is Ally Pally in March.

post-1557-0-77592200-1486914166_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-87861200-1486914185_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Just come across this thread.

A really great layout, must resist the temptation to buy a 751.....

Just one question what's the Zimo / Roco sound like? Heard that the factory fitted sound is a bit basic, and that a Czech shop offers better sound files? Got caught out before like this by the Roco Nohab and MZ's where the ESU sound is so much better.