Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

ZTC 611 UPDATED CONTROLLER!

I was clearing out some cupboards over the weekend, and came across a reprint of an article from a 1996 edition of Continental Modeller about the 511. There were also some old price lists from the last 10 years, all showing the 511 as costing £399, with the mains transformer extra. 

Has anybody upgraded from a 511 to 611 yet? The Taunton controls website suggests that the first batch of upgrades have sold out and the second batch should be available in March but there is already mention of a third batch (but at increased price). I like the idea of the upgrade but am always a little reticent at being an early adopter of a new bit of kit - selfishly prefer someone else to find the early bugs! Would be interested in knowing if anyone has experience of the 611in operational use.

Regards

David

• RMweb Gold

I spoke to Graham today to pay for my 611.

The software is 2 weeks behind so the 611 will be late.

I should have it in my sticky mitts on Tues 17th Feb, which is quite something considering I started this thread about the new 611 almost 2 years ago!!!

Once the new units have shipped Graham will start on the upgrades.

He did say the first batch of 611's has sold out, and that the first batch of upgrade slots has also sold out.

There are a couple of upgrade slots left for the second batch.

After this it's waiting for the second batch of 611's and the third batch of upgrade parts which will be towards the end of March.

Unfortunately he has had to increase the price of the upgrades from this third batch.

So basically nobody will have had their 505 or 511 upgraded yet and no one will have the new 611 yet.

The only way to have used the 611 is if you've been to an exhibition and tried it on the stand.

Cheers

Ian

Edited by traction

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Ian - thought that might be the case. It does seem things are getting closer to fruition though. Hope you will post your impressions of the 611 when you get it.

Regards

David

Yes I will, and I have told Graham that I would as well.

Looking forward to getting it now, the new layout is taking shape but I seem to be spending more time running the locos around the single oval than actually doing any scenic work!

Still there's no rush!

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think like most things the components are sourced from where ever they can be bought at the cheapest price.

From what I've been told the components and the controller are then assembled in Somerset.

The casings are actually printed in Germany.

The software is done by a company in Cornwall.

Cheers

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Met up with Graham and Pat on the Taunton Controls stand today at Doncaster exhibition.

Was nice to finally met up, and see the 611 in the flesh.

The green colour actually looks quite nice.

It's a long time since I've played with the 511, so couldn't remember anything.

But there is a 511 and 611 next to each other on the stand.

The 611 display does look better than the 511, maybe sharper? can't quite put my finger on it.

The brake control now works as I always thought it did!, that is you can turn the brake which will gradually slow the loco down, unless you carry on in to the red which will apply the brake fully.

To operate the horn on a sound loco it was just a case or pressing 02 which is shown on the display , next to which it says ON, press 02 again it shows OFF.

You can then just press 2 for on and then 2 and hold which then shows OFF.

Didn't really play with much else as there were a lot of people on stand looking and also wanting a go.

It's still a nice controller to actually Drive the loco.

Looking forward to getting mine in just over a weeks time and will report back my findings then, once I've had chance to have a good play about.

There are a lot of developments in hand, which should be good, it's just a shame it's taken so long to move the product forward.

First time I've seen the point motor actually working connected to a point, looks to be really very good.

Cheers

Ian

Edited by traction

• RMweb Gold

The web site has also been updated, so you can now actually buy a 611 from the shop!

Best be quick as its showing they only have 3x611's left in stock of this first batch.

Not bad at all as I believe there are 40 in a batch!

Next batch due in March.

I will have mine on Tuesday evening.

If I get chance will do a quick post once I've had a play.

Cheers

Ian

Edited by traction

• RMweb Gold
Colin_McLeod, on 15 Feb 2015 - 19:25, said:

Andy York. Could the relevant banner add appear on this thread?  Rather like the Hattons add did on the Garrett thread.

Thanks

Colin - the volume of threads these day means Andy may not see this in the foreseeable. Can I suggest you "Report" your own contribution, which will bring it to the Mods' attention.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It has arrived!

It doesn't look that green in the photos, need better light!

post-6745-0-80525000-1424214831.jpg

post-6745-0-19591500-1424214868.jpg

post-6745-0-38917900-1424214885.jpg

As can be seen the 2xUSB ports on the back.

It doesn't have a manual yet as it's still being printed, but the 511 manual is OK, sort of!

I can confirm that when operating functions, only 0-9 are actually shown on the display, 10 and above are not shown.

Not had much time to try anything yet.

I couldn't turn off simulation, On the 611 the FUNCTION button also has LOCK, don't know what that actually means yet, this is different to the 511.

In the 511 manual it does show you how to turn simulation on/off, so I followed that.

Basically you press FUNCTION-SIMULATION(which is function number 9) then ENTER L (turn off) or ENTER R (turn on)

This doesn't appear to work at present following the 511 manual.

It's like the number 9 key isn't acting like a command key at all, after the FUNCTION button is pressed.

Need to double check exactly which sequence to follow, as there are going to be differences between this and the 511.

I know it can be done as the one on the display stand had SIMULATION turned off.

More to follow when I actually get chance to have a good play about, hopefully tomorrow if I get back from work early enough.

Cheers

Ian

Edited by traction

• RMweb Gold

Try setting simulation to zero.

How?

Whenever I press the LOCK&FUNCTION button followed by SIMULATION (Button number 9) all that happens is it turns function 9 on or off.

I have found that LOCK&FUNCTION - PRESET makes the following message come up on the display:- SET TO MOMENTARY, you then type in the function number you want to be momentary followed by the ENTER R key.

That function will now be momentary.

Pressing LOCK&FUNCTION-POINT makes the following message come up on the display:- SET TO LATCHED, again type in the function number you want to to be latched followed by the ENTER R key.

Cheers

Ian

• RMweb Gold

I'm enjoying it Keith!

Shame there wasn't, at this time a quick start guide just to give you a clue.

It certainly looks like the number 9 (SIMULATION) and Zero button(SYSTEM) are not functioning as described in the 511 manual.

As they still have those descriptions written next to them I can only assume it's a different set of key presses to access them.

I was hoping that some anonymous tester was on here who could have suggested trying something.

I have contacted Graham but it's their day off so I won't get a reply until tomorrow now.

Still, no worries I can control locos and operate functions.

Will be able to post a better review once I've got all the information myself.

Nice to control locos though.

Cheers

Ian

I have had a 511 for over 9 years, at the time it suited my needs, as technology moved on ZTC did not.

It then suffered from change of ownership, twice, again no investment. Plus adverse comment from certain quarters.

So when Graham Warner took the plunge things started to look up with the object of putting it at back on the market, with

major improvements. But like most things this took time, for you & me this was a long wait.

Now the 611 is here and mine came yesterday.  First impressions are, I like the new design, The backlit display is nice and clear.

Buttons have a more positive action. Reverser is not so sloppy. Throttle control appears to be smoother.

Only 28 & 128 Speed steps are available. Access to Zero 1 has been dropped.  All sound functions are there. I can now hear the bacon frying on the shovel. No button to create aroma though.

There are some issues. If you try to read a CV the old way it wont respond  all you will get is Zeros.

Having spoken to Graham he assures me all will sorted with the new manual, should be with us by 28 Feb.

I agree with a previous comment, pity we did not get a brief instruction sheet just to get us going.

Still we have waited so far another few days wont matter.

Edited by shibushe

• RMweb Gold

Yep, agree with that.

I've spoken to Graham and the 611 is quite different, and all will be explained in the new manual.

Graham did say he was exhausted, after a very busy day getting a load of upgrades done!

It's a tricky one as he is aware that lots of people wanted the new new 611 and then all of the old units that need upgrading, but it would have been delayed longer waiting for a manual when you can get by with the basics using the 511 as a simple guide.

Rock and a hard place?

It all works perfectly fine as it is so no worries, although not tried programming a loco or reading back CV's

Will be interesting to see the changes from the 511.

Cheers

Ian

EDIT to make a little clearer.

Edited by traction

Yep, agree with that.

I've spoken to Graham and the 611 is quite different, and all will be explained in the new manual.

It's a tricky one as he is aware that lots of people wanted the new new 611 and their old units upgraded, but it would have been delayed more waiting for a manual when you can get by with the basics using the 511 as a simple guide.

It all works perfectly fine as it is so no worries.

Will be interesting to read about the new ways of doing things.

Sounds like Graham is exhausted, after a very busy day getting a load of upgrades done!

Cheers

Ian

Ian,

Will you be bringing it to Mansfield? I'dlike to see what it can do, and at all the recent shows there have been crowds around the ZTC stand.

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ian,

Will you be bringing it to Mansfield? I'dlike to see what it can do, and at all the recent shows there have been crowds around the ZTC stand.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Yes, I can do so you can have a play!

Cheers

Ian