RMweb

Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Premium
The Stationmaster, on 05 Mar 2014 - 16:24, said:

An interesting point - I like it. But it would be interesting to learn how much a 70 could get over Woodborough without being overpowered or slipping to a stand.

It would be a good comparison trial. The 59 has a very similar starting TE figure, on one tinternet page Ive seen, the figure is almost the same at 122K but Wiki has it lower than that.

But as we know, its what both loco's can put down continuously that matters.

On paper the 70 should just take the title but I doubt there'd be a lot in it, atleast there shouldn't be!!

Anyway, my comment was a little tongue in cheek. I like the 59 as it holds one of the most successful diesel engines ever built, the EMD 16-645E which is also fitted to one of the most successful locomotives ever built, the EMD SD40-2 - luv em to bits, fantastic machine. :declare:

• RMweb Gold

your right here there is a likeness maybe the 70's should be called... Trotters' or Dellboys

Unfortunately, that's not the sort of Reliant the Trotters had.

Theirs was a Regal Supervan, a completely different shape to the later Robin...........

John

Got 70805 on 6M50/6V46 today

Thanks for posting that Jim, my Mum has just passed away after a long illness and I've been trying to get my Dad's interest in trains back again. I gave him the times and told him to go and see something new and colourful and he actually saw you go through Radley............Good job you were held at Didcot though!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

a more substantial load tonight.....

DA688BE8-9BD8-4E0D-BB54-A4706AA541AB.jpg

also as requested this is the drivers desk

91A74E4E-AD1B-4CB9-A572-BCFFC334E919.jpg

which puts me in mind of this.......

image-26.jpg

just having a break away from the engine again before we head back to hinksey (where it will also pick up 70804)

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Those screens are very similar to their big brothers, the ES44AC's. They can show (amongst many other bits of real time information) what TE the loco is putting down at any given speed and throttle setting.

Would be interesting to see some numbers Jim.

• RMweb Gold

So, Jim - does this mean you go all Smashy when asked to move a heavy load, push the throttle open & say "You ain't seen nothing yet....Let's Rock!"

Slightly off-topic - I saw a 56 on a log train being loaded in Exeter Riverside yard today  wasn't aware of this happening before. Do you have any further info - is it a temporary run instead of Heathfield while the Dawlish line is repaired?

EDIT - answered my question when I found Captain Kernow's thread on the subject

Edited by Ramblin Rich

• RMweb Premium

a more substantial load tonight.....

also as requested this is the drivers desk

91A74E4E-AD1B-4CB9-A572-BCFFC334E919.jpg

And then if you turn around, the main control circuit breaker is something out of Dr Frankenstein's laboratory (or at least it was when I had a good mooch around 70005)

Cheers,

Mick