Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold

some pics of the day

outside seaforth container terminal, it was moved there yesterday so it saved us having to open the gates etc, quite a few spotters taking pics through the fence!!

31338E80-8046-423C-9E73-B96C9A12AD1B.jpg

as noted elsewhere there is no number on the cab end

DSCF6426.jpg

and so towards regent rd, had to stop to operate the crossing here

DSCF6427.jpg

and once the loco was clear i had to switch it off to raise the barriers again

DSCF6428.jpg

at the stop board at regent rd, for those who don't know the area, the liverpool overhead railway ran pretty much directly above the line here

DSCF6429.jpg

into the wapping sidings at edge hill to change ends

DSCF6430.jpg

DSCF6431.jpg

and away we went to bescot via runcorn, stopped at the closed ditton station to let a test train past then he had us away...

DSCF6432.jpg

did an unusual move in crewe that in 13 years i've never done, up slow before the station, over to the down fast (bi-directional line) then a route indicator over onto the up slow line south of the station!

and so onward to bescot where we dropped it into an empty short road ready to be used wednesday

DSCF6434.jpg

and that was that, lots of photographers about so no doubt lots of pics to be seen later on

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

What do you make of them then Jim?

All good so far?

Any  annoyances or anything that really stands out great?

I doubt there's any such thing as a perfect locomotive but I was just wondering.

• RMweb Gold

Just one pic this week.....

had a week down hampshire doing an assessors course that at the end of i will have a city and guilds qualification, it was in petersfield right by the station but i never managed to get any pics, i then moved on to eastleigh to do class 70s, had a day on them doing static training but never mqnaged to get my handling in on them and be passed out so i still dont sign them!!

To top it off i've got a job on every day next week so i aint going to be doing it then either, maybe soon!!

Anyway here is my training loco, 70801, the old 70099, which has a few differences to the rest of the fleet but nothing major

4764E77F-E7C2-447D-8925-E860652702FA.jpg

Moving a 56 tomorrow from washwood heath to crewe then back onto the coal next week

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

A fantastic picture there mate! I'd send that to a mag, very impressive!

keep an eye out for the next issue of rail express, been told i will have a pic in there (possibly 2 depending on space!)

anyway a few pics from today, had to go to birmingham to move a 56 back to crewe

saw this as i was waiting for my train, waited for it to depart only to be totally blanked out by the steam from the draincoacks so i never managed a photo!

DSCF6435.jpg

lady penelope in the bay

DSCF6437.jpg

desiro and pendolino

DSCF6440.jpg

i then headed off to birmingham, a quick walk from aston to washwood heath to collect 56087 to bring it back to the electric depot before walking home!

• Like 9

Hi Jim,

How come you get to drop the loco off at the Electric depot in Wistaston Road...??   Just a short walk up past Queens Park, and your home.!!

I used to serve petrol as a 16 year old at the garage in Stewart Street, just down from the depot entrance.

Bob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jim,

How come you get to drop the loco off at the Electric depot in Wistaston Road...??   Just a short walk up past Queens Park, and your home.!!

for once i actually got a job that worked out nice for me!

i think it was being left there for training purposes

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Brilliant Jim, superb photos.

Don't forget to let me know if you ever find yourself on the Devon logs!

(got some empty timber wagons to shift around in Kingsland Road, Bristol, by the way, in case you're interested, just been talking to one of your Guv'nors today about that..!)

• Like 2

Fab photos Jim, not too sure whether I like the grid in that colour though...

Just received the latest Rail Express, like both the photos in there , maybe some of these will get in :yes:

How much do REx pay for photos anyway?

Jack.

• RMweb Gold

Fab photos Jim, not too sure whether I like the grid in that colour though...

Just received the latest Rail Express, like both the photos in there , maybe some of these will get in :yes:

How much do REx pay for photos anyway?

Jack.

not seen rail express yet so im assuming its the bescot and ditton class 70 pics

payment for pictures varys depending on size anything from £15 upwards i believe, front cover is the best payer apparently!

gary H, it is quite unusual to fail with a 66 but the good thing is when you do the computer tells you what the problem is and a lot of the time you can try to rectify it from the drivers seat, ie tripping out the traction motors, isolating bogie power etc

captain kernow: i've got no intention of going anywhere near brizzol, if i end up going there i'll get stung for more jobs, i'm constantly on the coal at the mo as only 3 of us sign didcot to toton and ratcliffe throughout via all midlands routes (ie via burton or leicester and all diversions such as leamington-coventry-bescot-sutton park etc), all of us ex fastline as it happens, im the north west lead driver but havent worked a train there for months

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

, im the north west lead driver but havent worked a train there for months

And you haven't been near the S&C since your first week with Colas.............. (Then again, Colas log trains via the S&C are very rare these days)

Do you know if there are plans for a 70 on the logs?

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

i think they are going to trial a 70 on it but again the problem is getting people trained and passed out on them (and sparing a 70!)

each daily log 'circuit' requires 3 drivers, carlisle-warrington, warrington-chirk-warrington and warrington-carlisle and at the moment there is only one driver class 70 trained who can do either one of the carlisle-warrington turns, so even if say i signed them to do the chirk bit we would still need a third driver trained up

it can be done using 2 drivers but only at the weekend when the train recesses overnight in chirk but its a heck of a long job on the sunday for the 'chirk guy' i.e saturday isnt too bad with warrington-chirk-lodge/home but then sunday its out of lodge/home-chirk-carlisle-home/into lodge which i have done a few times and its a full 12 hour shift, i go and stay at my dads in ellesmere when i do that thurn, 8 mile drive from chirk as opposed to 40 home to crewe

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just one from this morning, did a loco swap on the sinfin tanks in crewe station, swapped 56078 for 56087

473D29DB-35FA-4044-89F3-BA6EE331D2B6.jpg

Annoyingly i just missed getting a shot of 6k05 departing the south yard with 3 x 37s and 20 with a single flask!!

The caledonian sleeper came into the platform just before we started the run round move and failed which messed us up a bit, the 'box said they were struggling to find a replacement loco for the train so i 'hinted' that the 56 i'd just taken off was only going back to the electric depot so possibly could be available if required, and it was seriously considered before they found a spare 90 on the ETD! That would have been fun, a 56 on the sleepers, the 90 looked to still be providing power (ie pan up, lights on) so it probably would have worked!!

• Like 4