Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• 2 weeks later...

You looking forward to giving the 10x class 60s that Colas have just purchased a good thrashing Jim?

Mark

Nice to see that aleast x10 of the 60 fleet wil be saved and looked after!! not left to rot in siding somewhere on the network.

• RMweb Gold

a few pics from today, did a possession train in uffington, top and tail 70s on it

I wonder what my great grandfather would make of that scene?  He was in the Perway gang at Uffington and retired in the 1920s so would have known it in broad gauge days.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

DBS must be fed up with having their wagons pulled by someone else's locos ....

Seems colas is taking over

I dare say we (NR) get a better deal from Colas than we do from grabby DBS. That's why they keep losing work to the smaller FOC's.

• RMweb Gold

I wonder what my great grandfather would make of that scene?  He was in the Perway gang at Uffington and retired in the 1920s so would have known it in broad gauge days.

they certainly got a shift on with the work, it was relaying the track either side of a double crossover, i arrived on site at 07:00 and the old track was already removed and looked to have been placed onto a train of salmons at the london end of the work site, the ballast had been stripped back to the base (as can be seen in the pictures), the train in front of me moved forward and the ballast was machined out of the wagons into the void, i didnt move til about 11:00 (nice sleep) then i was ordered to move forward where they started to tip the ballast from my train too, my ballast appeared to be being dropped onto the top of the black membrane in the 4ft area, this bought the level back up to the track level where it was then whackered with a cool remote control triple whacker plate gadget, )i wouldnt mind seeing if colas have a spare one so i can get my new drive base nice and level!!)

the rear of my train had a few salmons with new concrete sleepers on so i had to move back and forth so they could be off loaded, that was done by about 14:30 when i was told i wasn't needed anymore so i pulled out of the work site ready for the next driver to take over, when he arrived at about 15:45 i looked back and noticed the sleepers and track were loosly back in place at the london end of the crossover, obviously needing reconnecting and tamping etc but i was impressed how quick the rails were back in situ!

the way the site was worked meant that 70804 at the london end of my train was uncoupled and recoupled to the ballast train in front (66606 london end) so the rear 70 could head to swindon solo with 'my' train, 70804 would then top and tail 66606s train and the train of used track panels at the london endof the site (with a colas 66 on the swindon end) would be the last off site

• Like 2

Yes our fav three wheeler as I Fools and Horses

I was referring to people's occasional tendency to call them Robin Reliants with the model name before the manufacturer's name rather than Reliant Robins. Something nobody does with any other car as far as I know.

Sorry to Jim for wandering off topic.

I was referring to people's occasional tendency to call them Robin Reliants with the model name before the manufacturer's name rather than Reliant Robins. Something nobody does with any other car as far as I know.

Sorry to Jim for wandering off topic.

Anyway the Reliant that was in only fools and horses was a Regal super van!

Getting back on topic -

As I was leaving work about 18:00 today, I heard and saw the Boston steel train, but why would it have loco's top and tail?

By the way today it was a 56 leading and a namer 47 trailing through Gonerby.

• RMweb Gold

had double headed 70s this afternoon, split them off at bescot to fuel them, left one there (for a job i have saturday) and the other is on 6X46 back to hinksey/westbury tonight

7CD0FA30-51F5-4702-8560-890664D69AE6.jpg

just having a break before threading my way back to oxford with this

FE781F55-D07F-4F12-BB56-9DB2FB0217DE.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

More impressive photos Jim how do you rate the 70's?

having now driven a few im quite impressed with them, very powerful machine, there are a few niggles though, they are over complicated in places, difficult to get comfortable while driving (ive still not worked out how to drop the seat yet!) and boy they can whine when they get moving!

• Like 1

having now driven a few im quite impressed with them, very powerful machine, there are a few niggles though, they are over complicated in places, difficult to get comfortable while driving (ive still not worked out how to drop the seat yet!)

Perhaps you could ask Colas if they could retro fit you something more comfortable Jim..??

comfortable+furniture.jpg

• Like 3