RMweb

Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold

Was in there the week we bought the van, got a 2nd hand 153 and 170 unit off mike, i used to visit the shop quite regularly when i worked for DRS, only managed it a couple of times with colas though

• Like 1

That 56 is not a bad one, it struggles to build amps now and again but when it gets going its pretty rapid

After 4 weeks of class 70s on the coal it was certainly different getting on a 56 again, got the sinfin again next week as well as a couple of claydon jn iobs and possibly the logs to carlisle!

Hi Jim,

Thanks for stopping in the loop at Uttoxeter......as you know and saw, I was able to get down to the crossing and get a quick video of your re start.

Yes, it was the coal train you were following that was probably holding you up.

Maybe see you next week then.?

Bob

Guest B Exam

Jim

Great pics 37401 is looking good just a quick question about the Sinfin tanks i know they come from up near here at Grangemouth are the locos swapped or refuled halway?

Thanks

Most minor servicing/fueling is done at Bo'ness between duties.

If a loco swop is needed, it will be done mostly at Derby, but sometimes at Crewe depending on operational requirements.

• RMweb Gold

ended up working last night, did a hinksey to claydon via banbury, risborough, aylesbury etc, top and tail 70s with 44 coalfish!!

2200 ton and 1500ft of instanter coupling fun!

only 3 pics, all from banbury on the runround

DSCF9533.jpg

DSCF9536.jpg

DSCF9537.jpg

got to go back there tonight to bring it back off to hinksey, i'm staying down there to work another off on tuesday night too!

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

ended up working last night, did a hinksey to claydon via banbury, risborough, aylesbury etc, top and tail 70s with 44 coalfish!!

2200 ton and 1500ft of instanter coupling fun!

I guess I'd be correct in saying that with all those instanter's you gota be hell of a careful with opening the throttle, especially with something with as much grunt as a 70 or you'll tare the train in two or have it off the road!

Some of, if not all the big class one roads (American parlance for a FOC) in the US will fire you for it as they say its bad train handling!

That's with knuckle couplers though, but the slack run in and out with a mile or more of train is something else!

Edited by Gary H

You bothered to count?! :jester:

(I know you probably get given a data sheet :P)

Great pics as usual!

Jack.

Somewhere there will be a Possession Train Order with all the spiel on it. Every conceivable detail about the train will be on the order. In theory.

• RMweb Gold

Just one snapshot from last night, bought a train off claydon to hinksey, supposed to bring one back but couldnt get it back in time, so thats tonights job!!

70804 waiting at the exit signal from the single line next to aylesbury vale parkway, we got into the loop at aylesbury and had to sit there for 2 hours!!

0CBD9C09-1C3A-4AC4-B73D-F050F89B4FB6.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

I guess I'd be correct in saying that with all those instanter's you gota be hell of a careful with opening the throttle, especially with something with as much grunt as a 70 or you'll tare the train in two or have it off the road!

Some of, if not all the big class one roads (American parlance for a FOC) in the US will fire you for it as they say its bad train handling!

That's with knuckle couplers though, but the slack run in and out with a mile or more of train is something else!

They should be alright Gary as they would be 50tonne couplings (or they ought to be) 

Interesting - but I reckon they should still be ok with c.2,000 tonnes trailing.  The hooks will definitely take a puny load like that - it takes about 8,000 tonnes trailing to bust a hook

They're generally fine with that load, route dependant. There are a few bits on my patch (and no doubt most areas) where that sort of load in Coalfish wouldn't fly.

• RMweb Premium

I remember a walk around Eastleigh depot I had on a work related visit must have been about 1999 ish.

I noticed a rather bent up wagon head stock and buffer beam assembly on the floor inside the depot, it was complete with buffers, draw gear, the lot.

On further asking it had apparently been extracted from a wagon by a Class 60. Apparently the driver gave it to much juice away from a signal check before letting the slack take up through the train.

I wasn't certain that was more a fault with weaknesses in welds or driver error, I didn't ask!

Certainly not seen anything like it before anyway, atleast not in the UK.

Edited by Gary H

C'mon Jim..........we want all the details.

You certainly caused chaos here in Uttoxeter this morning with your broken down Sinfin Tank train. ..........the local to Derby sat in Uttoxeter station for at least 2 hours.

I'll leave the rest for you to fill in.

Bob.