RMweb

Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, CovDriver said:

We are given 5mins walking time from messroom to platform and if they're obstructing our way the train goes late. It'll only get worse now the Christmas Market is underway. 

Last time I was stopped going down to the platform because of overcrowding I tried to explain I was the driver for the train to remove this overcrowding problem but the security staff still refused = simply train departed 16mins late even though it arrived on time.

Any BTP staff on the station? You could point out that by failing to let you through they are, by wilful omission, endangering the passengers (by prolonging the overcrowding) - a serious criminal offence...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, big jim said:

It’s nothing about ‘biting’ Simon and I know your as passionate about your job but some of these new signalling schemes are terrible, it really does feel like lip service has been given to those on the ground, assurances made then ignored, sorry I’d that sounds harsh but that’s how it feels (even though deep down I know it’s far from the truth and they wouldn’t just plonk signals Willy nilly for the sake of it)

with regard the signals in question the line speed is only 10mph so as you say the sighting could probably be less than 7 seconds but why replace a simple gantry that’s served it’s purpose effectively for x number of decades with 2 easily visible signals with this monstrosity with a poorly sighted signal? (I’m struggling to find a pic if it’s predecessor on my phone)

3569AB05-F7A7-4369-B5C2-DFA12EFC359E.jpeg.2399471f0adc799d640d2ba8927893df.jpeg

Would the sighting spec have taken into consideration a train parked on an adjacent line? 

Couldn’t 2 simple signal posts have done the job or even just move the existing signal up the gantry to match the other, or a co-acting signal? 

to be honest my original post was a lot longer and a lot more critical of a lot of things wrong with the railway at the moment but i scaled it back somewhat! 

Mmmm...... Can't comment on the 'sighting' questions you raise Jim (without seeing the SSF), or why the original gantry needed to be replaced (I suspect it became unsafe in some way), but on another completely different issue, it would be interesting to see how RAMS (Reliability, Accessibility, Maintainability and Safety) is complied with when maintenance is required on the signals - I can't see any access from the gantry to the signal suspended from the gantry, so I assume access will have to be from a MEWP - which would require (in my opinion) a possession of the two lines in question. From an 'access' safety aspect probably a good point, but to require a possession of two lines to 'maintain' the signals seems to be a backward step in terms of 'operations'.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, iands said:

I can't see any access from the gantry to the signal suspended from the gantry

that’s the first thing that struck me, I thought maybe it was replaced to make access easier but the picture shows otherwise hence my question about having those simple hinged signal posts at ground level?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, big jim said:

It’s nothing about ‘biting’ Simon and I know your as passionate about your job but some of these new signalling schemes are terrible, it really does feel like lip service has been given to those on the ground, assurances made then ignored, sorry I’d that sounds harsh but that’s how it feels (even though deep down I know it’s far from the truth and they wouldn’t just plonk signals Willy nilly for the sake of it)

with regard the signals in question the line speed is only 10mph so as you say the sighting could probably be less than 7 seconds but why replace a simple gantry that’s served it’s purpose effectively for x number of decades with 2 easily visible signals with this monstrosity with a poorly sighted signal? (I’m struggling to find a pic if it’s predecessor on my phone)

Would the sighting spec have taken into consideration a train parked on an adjacent line? 

Couldn’t 2 simple signal posts have done the job or even just move the existing signal up the gantry to match the other, or a co-acting signal? 

to be honest my original post was a lot longer and a lot more critical of a lot of things wrong with the railway at the moment but i scaled it back somewhat! 

Hi Jim,

I totally understand your frustration and I will freely admit that I’ve done what I think is a good design and takes into account everything, but then it turns out we’d overlooked something by accident and drivers don’t like it or (most of the time) we spot a problem, but have been prevented from fixing it fully by other factors and opinions which is intensely annoying!

We would like to get as much feedback from people on the ground as we can, but we have to limit it somewhere unfortunately we are limited to people’s personal opinions when we do that, which makes it look as though we’ve ignored Drivers, Signallers etc.

I would agree with you that on the face of it that gantry isn’t needed, but it looks like it mostly there to carry the cables to the heads, so there must be some reason that the can’t be but in a UTX.

Yes, sighting does take into consideration a train on an adjacent line, structures, people and any sort of distraction.

Simon

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, big jim said:

What a monstrosity.

Living proof that the converse of the old engineering adage that what looks right is right, is equally valid.

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I don't think that this conversation about those signals should continue without the formal paperwork being revealed, to show why they are the way they are. Otherwise, each "side" is just stating opinions. And please don't try telling me that it is confidential. This is a safety matter of some importance.

Jonathan

4 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

I don't think that this conversation about those signals should continue without the formal paperwork being revealed, to show why they are the way they are. Otherwise, each "side" is just stating opinions. And please don't try telling me that it is confidential. This is a safety matter of some importance.

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

I doubt you’ll get that I’m afraid, Signal Sighting Forms won’t be released to the public.

They aren’t confidential as you put it, but they simply aren’t generally released to the public because there isn’t a reason to 99% of the time. 

But, I agree, let’s put this conversation to bed and get back to Jim’s great pictures (which I do enjoy looking at!)

Simon

Edited by St. Simon
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, big jim said:

IMG_8071.HEIC

Departed over 2 hours late but managed to get it routed into crewe station rather than basford hall which helped gain a bit of time back for the onward driver 

IMG_8072.HEIC

Is there grills in the door of 66712 or is that a trick of the light ? - see top and next picture down..

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Is there grills in the door of 66712 or is that a trick of the light ? - see top and next picture down..

I reckon in the top pick the door is open and you can see the radiator/air filter ( or whatever it is ! ) inside the loco.

cheers,

Phil.

• Agree 2

Just now, jpendle said:

On you journey from Preston to Carlisle in 66730 why did the bright headlight (sorry, I don't know the correct terminology) switch from right to left? 

Day and night settings. The day headlight is on one side, the night one is on the other.

• Informative/Useful 2