Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold

The tests vary, Sometimes is braking tests, door tests, pantograph monitoring, could be anything depending what’s needed on the day, tomorrow is a number if runs between Stafford and Wolverhampton so i suspect it’s either high speed pantograph or braking tests 

just been asked to come in this afternoon, a short crewe to small heath job

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, big jim said:

just been asked to come in this afternoon, a short crewe to small heath job

Don't know what GBRF would do without you covering all these "can you justs"

Edited by 45156
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, big jim said:

never spotted this before despite many run rounds in tyseley!

B16F8C56-336E-43A6-A0C8-F499FE6700C4.jpe

In theory, that dates back to 1962 at the latest as 1.1.63 was when WR Birmingham division transferred to LMR.  But could easily have been in a local store and used later (possibly deliberately knowing old loyalties!).  Used to identify buried cable routes so that (in theory) they didn’t get dug up.

Paul.

• Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, big jim said:

142003, looking forward to a ride on this on the 27th

31B3EBA4-B999-46D0-95DA-84971CC52EF4.jpe

Given the options in the photo I think I’d prefer the LSL Pullman to the 142. Then again can ride in the 37 would be pretty cool as well. I remember having a ride on a pacer in Laira depot on one of their open days when they used to hold them back in the 80’s. 

• Like 5

On 03/09/2023 at 22:21, big jim said:

amazing how much has changed in that time, still only seems like yesterday but when I look back at pics from around that time it amazing just what’s come and gone both loco and unit classes, locations, companies and even people, here’s to another year (but not 22 more, I’ll be long retired by then!) 

Are you joking, you'll probably be sat in a retirement home aged 92 and still get a 'can you just' call ;)

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

4 minutes ago, big jim said:

waiting for the other unit to be moved across from the shed road, lovely air conditioned cab!

ACBD86AD-87AF-4238-A747-B8F47BD8DF1E.jpe

And priority on the move so you keep to a tight schedule and as things are presently, lots of weekends off with all your shifts starting and ending in Crewe station.

Could sound attractive to some.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CovDriver said:

A lovely air-conditioned view from my class 350 this morning... 

It's roughly the same sort of view from a 196/197 cab believe it or not the 196 window is slightly bigger. 

Cheers 

Colin 

20230907_051857.jpg

That looks smaller than a telephone box!

Paul

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Should be an interesting week next week, got a whole week of the dee marsh steel again from Tuesday morning but as the line between hereford and shrewsbury is closed it’s going via Bromsgrove and the lickey bank 

I’m getting on at Bromsgrove and being banked up the hill before heading to dee marsh via Wolverhampton and telford, I then work it back as far as shrewsbury

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, big jim said:

the line between hereford and shrewsbury is closed

Should make for a lot better drives up and down the A49 with nothing to hold the traffic up at Onibury - on the other hand, I won't heaar you pass if I'm in station yard in Leominster

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, big jim said:

Back to it today, Bromsgrove to dee marsh, first time ever being banked up the lickey, 2200 tons, it was nerve wracking to say the least!

How does the banking work in this day and age Jim? Do you have radios to communicate with the rear engine? Does it couple on or just push with it's buffers? And if it couples is there automatic decoupling at the top or do you have to stop? 

36 minutes ago, big jim said:

66745 up front (66797 banking)

I think there must have been a power issue with the loco as at one point about 1/2 way up we were down to 5mph, thankfully we kept moving but it took almost 30 mins to cover the 2 mile climb, I’ve reported it and tomorrow should see a loco swap to see if it was indeed a loco issue, I also had issues at penyffordd where I almost came to a stand in an area where a loco hauling 2400 tons would normally be doing 10-15 mph! 

That reminds me of an incident whilst photographing an EWS 66 banking another on a coal train up the Lickey some years ago. I was at Vigo bridge half way up the incline and everything ground to a halt. Neither loco looked in distress and nothing went bang, but I thought this could develop into something good if another banking loco or assistance was required. Sadly after about 10 minutes both locos gave it the beans and the train went on its merry way.  

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

You might like this, a freight stalled Climbing out of the Missouri Valley and the Big Boy just happened to be following it.  Just 7000hp available . The action really gets going about 6 minutes in.

Jamie

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, big jim said:

Off at shrewsbury

Strange thing is that I was underneath Shrewsbury station at the time that you arrived, Jim.  I was in the Park and Ride bus heading back to the out of town car park as you arrived - according to RTT which I had open on my phone at the time.  We've got to stop not quite meeting like this when you're round here!!!!

And hey, that was some late arrival today - about 50 down all the way.

Edited by 45156
  • Like 4