RMweb

Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Premium
On 28/10/2023 at 07:28, big jim said:

Possession tonight on the chilterns then next week has MOD landor st to Donnington and forward to Hereford then a couple of evenings of MPVs and one short Trafford park job 

Variety really does seem to spice the life of your above average GBRF driver

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, big jim said:

Nothing in front for miles

Was with a Chiltern driver down there once who said he got quite nervous in the long block sections because of the distance you could go without seeing a signal.  When you’re used to them coming up every one to three km it probably is unnerving.

Out in the more distant parts of Cornwall, West Wales and West/North of Scotland it’s normality.

Paul.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 5BarVT said:

Was with a Chiltern driver down there once who said he got quite nervous in the long block sections because of the distance you could go without seeing a signal.  When you’re used to them coming up every one to three km it probably is unnerving.

Out in the more distant parts of Cornwall, West Wales and West/North of Scotland it’s normality.

Paul.

Similar quote about Paddington to Heathrow when Leeds Drives were getting handling time on 332's as the333's were late: 'we've got longer block sections' !

• Like 3

On 30/10/2023 at 21:41, big jim said:

signaller routed me into the platform at Wellington, I questioned it as it’s normally a run round in the middle road but he wanted me to go that way, anyway 2 signals passed at danger later (and another to come) I finally got back found to the front of the train again!

Why the need to be 'talked past' on this occasion?

Edited by WessexEclectic

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, WessexEclectic said:

Why the need to be 'talked passed' on this occasion?

I assume it’s because of the flooding they had last week, it’s normally a fully signalled move 

someone I know in Wellington said another move into Donnington this week did the same move too

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, Craig1989 said:

Great pics as always Jim and does this mean we will be seeing you on the biomass trains out of Liverpool docks to tuebrook? 

cheers Craig 

Jim used to drive the coal into / out of Liverpool Docks (quite) a few years ago

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Craig1989 said:

Great pics as always Jim and does this mean we will be seeing you on the biomass trains out of Liverpool docks to tuebrook? 

cheers Craig 

nah, as beast says I used to go there years ago with fastline and it’s still on my route card, just like where I’m going on Thursday I’ve known it for 20+ years just not been over the whole route for a while so need to refresh myself for it to update the route card 

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, big jim said:

nah, as beast says I used to go there years ago with fastline and it’s still on my route card, just like where I’m going on Thursday I’ve known it for 20+ years just not been over the whole route for a while so need to refresh myself for it to update the route card 

I seem to remember that you had to get some class 70's out of the docks whilst they still had wheels. 

Jamie

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

7 hours ago, big jim said:

Spent a morning refreshing the route for my job on Thursday, doing it Friday as well now 

I’ve watched the videos of the route in both directions as well as reviewing maps and the sectional appendix to make sure I remember the speeds etc, downloaded the maps just in case I have a moment and forget something! 

IMG_3364.jpeg

should be an interesting couple of days 

Ill keep an eye out, I'll be working further up the line on Thursday and Friday. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, ess1uk said:

That looks like the causeway between Valley and Holyhead 

yeah, got a couple of days of class 805 testing between crewe and Holyhead, looking forward to it, pics to follow of course

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, big jim said:

yeah, got a couple of days of class 805 testing between crewe and Holyhead, looking forward to it, pics to follow of course

Didn't want to give it away in my earlier post, saw it running today.

If all goes according to plan, I'll be working between Talacre and Tyn-y-Morfa tomorrow and Friday.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, big jim said:

Didn’t spot anyone trackside today in that area but did see a cherry picker working on an under bridge near the old talacre box? 

as eluded to I worked an 805 to Holyhead and back today, one of the latest, 007, got on at crewe 

IMG_3390.jpeg

Was a bit late as there were a few late runners around so waited in Chester for a Birmingham service to leave, another new unit, a 777 was on a Mersey rail service in platform 7 

IMG_3393.jpeg

Llandudno Jn

IMG_3394.jpeg

And into Holyhead

IMG_3395.jpeg

IMG_3406.jpeg

After a break it was a good run back south, stopped at Rhyl while the train in front cleared Prestatyn 

IMG_3407.jpeg

Another stop in Chester 

IMG_3408.jpeg

and safely back to crewe 

IMG_3410.jpeg

IMG_3412.jpeg

same tomorrow but an earlier run as it’s going onto the shed at Holyhead for fuel (I think) 

Considering its a day time move youve done well to make all that lot devoid of any passengers on any platform at all in every station !

its like looking at pictures during covid.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1