Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jim,

"Possible NMT trip to Hull tomorrow", I'll keep an eye on RTT in the morning to see if you do indeed go to Hull. If so, I'll do my best to pop along to Gilberdyke with the camera.

Regards, Ian.

At the moment it’s not looking likely as I don’t have a conductor past doncaster to Hull Edited by big jim

• RMweb Premium

its the powercars but will be missing out hull and going direct to heaton from donny

keep an eye on RTT for the vstp

edit: here we go

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O91884/2018/04/21/advanced

Thanks for the link. Don’t know if you might know if there is a reason or whether it’s a typo. any reason it’s showing as timed for maximum speed of 124mph not 125mph?

Thanks for the link. Don’t know if you might know if there is a reason or whether it’s a typo. any reason it’s showing as timed for maximum speed of 124mph not 125mph?

There is some confusion in the Network Rail Open Data feeds used by Realtime Trains (amongst other websites).  Schedules from VSTP (very short term plan) have their speed in a unit that is 2.24 times the speed in mph.  The raw data will have given the speed as 280, which is divided by 2.24 to give 125.  There's a bit more detail at https://wiki.openraildata.com/index.php/VSTP (section 'Note: CIF Speed').

If you've ever seen a website reporting a 60mph freight as 'timed for 134mph', that is also the reason.

• RMweb Premium

Are you coming back to the Cambrian some time to pick up all those cut-up track panels between Talerddig and Aberystwyth?

And there are some petty ropey sleepers in both Aberystwyth and Newtown stations, so i guess they will be needing some TLC soon.

Jonathan

• RMweb Gold

We were supposed to do Newtown the other week but the snow knocked us for a week meaning we had to continue at Mach and now there is a loco ban in place which makes things that bit harder to try and get down there

TBH I think that train I worked with the red box wagons was to recover scrap/spoil etc but it got cancelled once on site

Edited by big jim

• RMweb Gold

Some from last night, could really be bothered with piccies but got a few

97301 crewe-manchester-Crewe-Lichfield and derby

D3EAC0AF-D28B-48E1-8B2A-EDC53D71078B.jpg

C37A807D-429E-43DF-BF3B-4C04EF1F75B8.jpg

Marker light out!

47C744EA-B35A-4761-8236-1C960854E7FE.jpg

Leg stretch at crewe

2B57A64B-39CE-4659-B38D-4DC6FDFE610D.jpg

Away to derby, parked up and train home

Next job is Monday, 97 to Aberystwyth with a tamper

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Sort of, lots of speed restrictions on place by the looks of it and things like I’m doing tomorrow (ie moving a tamper) are to rectify the problems

First trip to aber tomorrow after signing it off, been boning up on the ground frame and ERTMS procedures for shunting there!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Wow Jim I bet that makes you a very proud man indeed a lot of railway history there in your family.

I'm very similar although I'm the first one to get on the footplate my father and uncle used to be signalmen and my grandfather was the last stationmaster at Berkswell.

I'd love to have ride down the Cambrian I've not been to Barmouth for almost 30yrs.

Great pictures Jim as ever.

Cheers

Colin

Edited by CovDriver
  • Like 3

Congratulations on following your families’ history Jim, and thank you for taking the time to post your photos of the modern railway at work. Cheers!

• RMweb Gold

My dad has just put me right on the family history, it was my great great grandad who was the wheel tapper, at caersws, he then went on to be in charge of the p-way at Barmouth moving down there, apparently he once opened Barmouth swing bridge in a sunny day and it expanded in the heat and they were unable to close it until the evening when it had cooled down!

My great grandad, bob who died either just before or just after I was born moved from Newcastle upon Tyne to Barmouth to run the ‘rymans’ book stall on the station where he met my great grandma (known as grandma Barmouth), The then got a job on the p-way before changing departments (and regions) and becoming the 2nd in command accountant for the LMS in Liverpool lime st, he was so high up he had a ‘gold medal’ for travel, I’ve only ever seen one of those in my time on the railway!

As for my mum she was indeed out waving at me at llwyngwril!

Edited by big jim
  • Like 16

Brilliant to see a proper loco' in Barmouth station again, spent most of my childhood holidays at Sunnysands caravan site, i was there all last week having a short break away, and it's flippin' typical! i come home and two days later i miss a loco'   :jester: Love following your postings, superb work. :)

• RMweb Gold

Interesting start to the job today, apart from a flat tyre on the van when I got banbury that is!

Had the cemex train to Washwood heath

18464F28-8CC2-4FED-8A6C-F92B79E0F82C.jpg

But all is not as it seems as it is actually detached from the train, 6 handbrakes on and was away to rescue a failed freight at harbury, 66017 had come to a stand after shutting down and as I was the nearest loco I was commendered to rescue it

Down to fenny, cross over and ran ‘bang road’ to harbury where the other driver was waiting at the assistance protection for me, coupled up, brake test and away, so as to minimise distruption I told the box to leave the down line open once I was running wrong direction which kept things moving with a couple of voyagers passing by during the rescue, the most important thing is everyone knows the line is ‘live’ and 95mph!

74A36ECA-7B81-40A5-AACD-AD7F8B1B5041.jpg

And into banbury, uncoupled and moved back over to my own train on the down side, in the grand scheme of things we did well from the initial call to take the engine off the train to getting the failed train out of the way in banbury tonallow trains to run again was just over an hour

5980B5E8-1F5D-4BA7-B43B-7A754E33499A.jpg

A better shot from the sunny side

F64D6038-B0C7-4FCB-B9FB-948BD0D18717.jpg

And that was that, once in I had to wait for the MOM to come and brake test me, the mom happened to be rmweb’s very own ‘eggsford box’ who obliged and carried out the test, also spoke to markmiller who was in control at chiltern so almost an rmweb mini meet!

Didn’t bother with any more pics the rest of the day, just concentrated on getting some of the time back and trying to get the train unloaded!

• Like 16