TRAINWEST 2014 - 12 & 13 April

Geoff Endacott

Ah. Well there is supposed to be parking for bikes at the front, but in any event we do have use of the large field behind the hall. I have also reminded the hall staff that the access codes for the gate to the field would be helpful. (They didn't have them two years ago and we ended up with a lot of bikes at the front of the hall.)

Geoff Endacott

We now have an aerial photograph on the web site at http://www.trainwest.org.uk/#Parking showing the parking arrangements.

Don't forget that there is a footpath to the hall - marked in green on the photo.

No matter how many signposts we put up or have parking stewards tell people, we still have a few who will walk from the car park to the hall the long way round via the access road. Perhaps it is human nature for people who have driven past the door of the hall en route to the car park to walk back along the same route. If you look at the photo you will see that the footpath is a much shorter route.

For disabled visitors with blue badges, please park on the double yellow lines on the road outside the hall.

Geoff Endacott

A bit more history on the Christie Miller centre and the land it sits on, is that the whole trading estate used to be RAF Melksham. Look at the buildings either side of the leisure centre and you'll notice that they are aircraft hangars. RAF Melksham used to be an Avionics training school and the Christie Miller centre was the gym and cinema, it probably also had the NAAFI in there as well. For more info see http://www.rafmelksham.info/

My father-in-law did his training there during his National Service in the early 50's. To bring this back to railways, he did mention that he recalls there was a railway connection to the station, but he can't remember where it connected to the mainline, but he does remember catching the train to go home on leave back to Nottingham.

Just look at the road names when you visit, you'll notice Lysander Rd, Lancaster Rd, Avro Way it sort of gives it away.

Regards

Neal.

I can now announce that we will have two special visitors on Saturday and Sunday - from Wiltshire Police.

The serious point is that I want to do all I can to prevent thefts from trade stands. I therefore contacted Wiltshire Police and have been given details of two named officers who will be patrolling the area and the exhibition.

Perhaps all exhibtion managers should inform the local constabulary of their plans and invite their officers to visit the show.

Geoff Endacott

• RMweb Gold

I can now announce that we will have two special visitors on Saturday and Sunday - from Wiltshire Police.

The serious point is that I want to do all I can to prevent thefts from trade stands. I therefore contacted Wiltshire Police and have been given details of two named officers who will be patrolling the area and the exhibition.

Perhaps all exhibtion managers should inform the local constabulary of their plans and invite their officers to visit the show.

Geoff Endacott

Thanks Geoff, having lost a loco worth over £100 at the Calne show to some light fingered toe rag that move is much appreciated.

Jerry

It's a beautiful day in sunny Scarborough as we prepare for the long journey down. I hope the weather in the west country is as good!

Just about to load the van, and wish everyone a safe trip.

North of England Line will be running BR steam and early diesels on Saturday, with a complete change of stock to LNER/LMS steam for Sunday.

Locomotives to look out for this weekend are Cock o the North, Silver Fox, East Anglian, W1 hush hush, Kestrel prototype diesel and many more. We hope you enjoy our offering and welcome all RMwebbers to come and 'shoot the breeze'.

Have a great show everyone!

Mike

We have a show - most of the layouts are now in place.

The main problem is the lack of the overflow car park - despite what I had been told. No one seems to know who has the key! Never mind, there is a lot of on street parking available in the area for people to use once the main car park is full.

Geoff Endacott

Very enjoyable show..............had to smile about the car park. :no:

What is it with the *!?&!*ing seagulls (yes I know there's actually no such thing) in Melksham   :O !!!

Have had to clean my car every day this week after parking at the station too :rolleyes:

A really good exhibition Geoff. Kept me entertained from opening time till 16.00hrs, picked up some useful bits and pieces and met and talked to some interesting people.

Well worth the 300+ mile round trip and my bike got splattered in the car park too.

• RMweb Premium

That didn't seem to go too badly.

Geoff Endacott

It went very well Geoff , two of us had  a very enjoyable day , I spent to much money though .

Nice to see and chat with several RMweb people and to admire the layouts , some not been seen

by us before , especially liked the lorry on End of the Line , I got the impression more people

were watching that than the trains .

Already looking forward to next year and Gresley Beat among others .

We aim to please.

I am not sure that I can do too much about the seagulls.

For the benefit of exhibitors tomorrow, there may be a change of lunch menu. The beef casserole may be replaced by seagull casserole. For those who don't like seagull casserole, there is an alternative of seagull pie.

Dessert will be seagull cheescake, strawberry and seagull cheesecake, or chocolate and seagull cheesecake.

We aim to please.

Geoff Endacott

• RMweb Gold

We aim to please.

For the benefit of exhibitors tomorrow, there may be a change of lunch menu. The beef casserole may be replaced by seagull casserole. For those who don't like seagull casserole, there is an alternative of seagull pie.

Dessert will be seagull cheescake, strawberry and seagull cheesecake, or chocolate and seagull cheesecake.

We aim to please.

Geoff Endacott

We came with a black car

We leave with a white car!!!

• RMweb Gold

We aim to please.

We aim to please.

Geoff Endacott

Bloody seabird flavour.

Do you get wafers with it?  :jester:

Jerry

Archived