RMweb

"Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

I have loved wood stain since Focus went bust and I bought a whole load of the paint sample pots for 10p each and some Dulux suede paint in 2.5 litre and saw some wood stain heavily knocked down too. Most people never want real mahogany or light oak they want mahogany or dark oak stain. So I have always advocated that stain colour is what people believe to be real wood. The mahogany window boards we had I thought yuk and stained them rich red mahogany and thought....ah job well done. The real mahogany was pale and bland, and the grain had little definition. The stain drew it out and added lovely rich colours.

What you guys get so well is the placement of the colour, and the fact one colour rarely looks real and 3 or more colours have a more realistic look. I agree getting the mortar one colour and the bricks another makes the job, but even knowing that airbrushing the lot then swiping paint over the brick work does this, does not mean I have the 'eye' you both have. The tonal balance you both achieve is first class.I manage to get a half decent look on my work because I prefer to use real light to get my shadows. We are lucky that in our loft we have veluxs, 2 face north, 3 face south and they all have blinds capable of killing the light. I will play with the blinds for ages to get the effect I want. Unless you use fluorescence meant for fish aquariums most people rarely get good electric sourced light. Photoshoppping can improve, but I like to avoid touching up my pictures except for the sky line when it runs out. post 335 sitting outside has perfect light and lovely soft shadows. And the trick of using the bit you cut out to be the bit you put back...perfect solution....but only when someone points it out! 

Reading this thread, paying attention to your tips is money in the bank to improving ones own work. This is without doubt the BEST thread I have seen...ever. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
  • Yes Jaz this is the best thread on here.

Don't you just love RMweb? The way it brings modelers together and from all corners of the world. Sharing ideas and giving mere mortals the chance to show off our efforts. I only wish I had more time for it and more than 6 fingers to type with (about 1 sentence a minute).

It was a good day when Allan joined and to think he almost shied away, here is Allan’s 4th post from his first thread:

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:58

I'm sorry but I can't upload any pics from my files as I'm electronically informed that they are to big to upload yet they're not to big to upload anywhere else!

I'm finding this forum increasingly frusterating and extremely difficult to use and if it wasn't for the kind efforts of Andy, this topic wouldn't even exist.

So this will be my last post as I really have had enough of all this messing about trying to do something that on other Forums is so very straight foreward and simple.

Allan Downes.

Sure glad you got the hang of it Allan and started this thread with Iain. :imsohappy:
Shaun.

Nice heart warming post Jaz, it's worth being part of  this thread just to meet real nice guys like yourself.

So thanks from me and no doubt thanks from Iain.

Cheers.

Allan

Yes, indeed! Thank you so much, Jaz.  This has set my day off to a good start right away!

cheers,

Iain

Since this is essentially a Model Railway Forum, I thought a few shots of an actuall model railway might not go amiss.

So here's a few shots from a permanant exhibition layout in Mabelthorpe that I provided most of the buildings for - they'll be the one's falling apart!

post-18579-0-45626200-1371650618.jpgpost-18579-0-55040600-1371650650_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-74495800-1371650692.jpgpost-18579-0-26837600-1371650772_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-68122900-1371651007.jpgpost-18579-0-52104000-1371651106.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I had no idea this was at Mablethorpe! I don't know, you move away and then find out this was on your doorstep.

I'd just like to I agree with the comments above, this really is a thread that keeps on giving. I'm also grateful that people like Allan and Iain no only post up their photos, but go along to other threads to give no end of advice to those of us that are still learning the skills. Your help and encouragement have been invaluable.

Freebs, your station building is great, and as far as I can see, if you don't have a deadline, then take as long as you need. We'll still be here :)

Sasquatch, it looks like I'm heading towards the mills next. :)

P.s. Mablethorpe of all places! Practically abroad!

• Like 1

I'd just like to I agree with the comments above, this really is a thread that keeps on giving. I'm also grateful that people like Allan and Iain no only post up their photos, but go along to other threads to give no end of advice to those of us that are still learning the skills. Your help and encouragement have been invaluable.

Hi JCL

The R & D duo ain't the only people on the Planet and believe me, I, and Iain I suspect, learn just as much from other members as other members might do from us.

Over the years most of my ideas are somebody else's reinvented, although I must admit that I invented the wheel regardless of Robinson's claims that he did !

Cheers.

Allan.

Edited by allan downes

• RMweb Gold

True, I kind of meant "your" in a general sense that got lost in the editing.This is always the first place I search now if I'm after information. Also, living across the water, it's interesting to compare the different ways things are done over here compared to back home. One thing I would say is don't limit research and queries to UK sites, as there are others out there that might have a completely different solution to a particular problem or situation.

On that note, I'd best walk the dog, I'm getting cabin crazy.

Edited by JCL
  • Like 2

Good kitbuilders are every bit as skilled as good scratchbuilders - show me a sheet of card and I'll build you St Pancras, but show me a Wills lamphut kit and I'll show you torn out hair by the truckload ! - and as for putting a Superquick kit together, well.......

Hi JCL

The R & D duo ain't the only people on the Planet and believe me, I, and Iain I suspect, learn just as much from other members as other members might do from us.

Over the years most of my ideas are somebody else's reinvented, although I must admit that I invented the wheel regardless of Robinson's claims that he did !

Cheers.

Allan.

Agree wholeheartedly ...but I thought it was Colron wood dye you invented, Allan?

cheers,

Iain

And do you wanna know what a 4mm GWR Pannier is doing out in Colorado hauling a rake of empties on an O16 layout?

Then ask Chris Nevard who set it all up just to prove that scalees can mix - with the help of a little Nervard magic and a trick lens!

post-18579-0-06779000-1371665297.jpg

• Like 5

And do you wanna know what a 4mm GWR Pannier is doing out in Colorado hauling a rake of empties on an O16 layout?

Then ask Chris Nevard who set it all up just to prove that scalees can mix - with the help of a little Nervard magic and a trick lens!

attachicon.gifIMG_0077.jpg

That last shot has a feel of the Rhondda about it!

Really enjoying this thread, guys. I notice that my favourite Downes masterpiece hasn't appeared yet - "Civic Splendour". Was that layout ever completed? (ISTR an editorial promise that there would be further articles on the layout as it progressed, but they never appeared though an article did appear in RM a couple of years later about a large industrial complex that might have been part of the same layout).

But great to see all these photos anyway!

Richard

PS Allan - sorry to hear about your wife.

Hi Richard.

'Civic Splendour' was the name the Railway Modeller gave it as, at the time it, was photographed half way through construction and it didn't have an official name.

I worked on it for six years and with only a few weeks to go for completion, the owner scrapped it and went O Gauge!!

However, it ended up in his loft where over the years it got crushed beneath packing cases, suitcases and tons of other junk that finds it's way up into lofts and that was the last I ever saw or heard of it.

Sadly I have no photographs of it, not even the RM issue it appeared in otherwise I would put it up on here.

Cheers.

Allan.

• RMweb Gold

That last shot has a feel of the Rhondda about it!

Well, it is a kind of Wild West theme, isn't it?!

This is one of the most informative and educational threads around, as well as being one of the most entertaining, chaps! Do please keep it all coming! :)  I'm finding the techniques described for water and also the use of the dyes especially interesting!

• Like 2

Just been thinking about that 'Civic Splendour' layout guys.

If anyone has pics please feel free to stick 'em up on here - I need the ego lift !

Cheers.

Allan.

If I can work out which issue it was, it shouldn't be impossible to get hold of a copy and scan it. I will see what I can do after work.

Was that the one with the cameo of a derailed coal wagon with breakdown crane in attendance? Lots of Tudor buildings in the background?

Yes, that was it, although it was covered in quite a few issues as work progressed so the dedrailed wagon scene may have come later.

Also, the rambling industrial complex appeared in the Constructor when Cyril Freezer took over as editor.

Cheers.

Allan.