"Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

Gentlemen one and all, it's been an honour, and still will be, to share the same thread with you guys, this has been the best laugh I've had since the missus fell into the fish pond and I lost my false teeth pretending to dive in the wrong end looking for her - plus I've seen some really stunning modelling and I have a feeling that I'll be seeing a lot more.

Gentlemen, I salute you ( as he desperately searches his files for a ruin to end all ruins...)

Cheers.

Allan.

I think you two should just come and chat here once a week in the evening, having a beer at your pc and chewing the cud, you so make me smile - reference to the meeting in the pub of course

I have to consider which rating.........

the like? well of course

the agree, except when you says this one was a poor piece of work

the disagree then i need this one

the thanks? well its a thank you for the good humour and sharing your work and often your knowledge

the craftsmanship goes without saying

information useful, usually ticks that one too

funny, no shortage of that

the heart, definitely friendly and supportive of each other and your posters

? not seen one place to use it,

Consider an hour (a half hour, even five minutes for a quick pop a post and do a runner, one night a week, just to chew the fat, show your latest project , and allow us to share.......magical

Iain lovely work, oh and while your down the deep slate mine? Take notes for another model ;p

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Not wanting to invade your thread gents  but you might like this.

Staring down the barrel of a stug in't West Riding, aye. Now theres a scary thought for a might have been layout. (Thought it might just tie in with tanks and dereliction theme today).

post-8964-0-36752400-1371926734_thumb.jpg  

• Like 4

Staring down the barrel of a stug in't West Riding, aye. Now theres a scary thought for a might have been layout. (Thought it might just tie in with tanks and dereliction theme today).

attachicon.gifAye,Panzers in't West Riding..JPG

attachicon.gifAye,Panzers in't West Riding..JPG

Sasquatch, you can invade this thread anytime you like, then maybe we can learn something from it !

Join the fray !

Allan.

Jaz said: "oh and while your down the deep slate mine? Take notes for another model ;p"

I keep threatening to make a model of a mine, the above ground buildings and also below ground. After 8 years of serious mine exploring with my intrepid missus, I have a pile of photos it would be a shame not to use all that reference. I just need another few hours in the day, although I do have a Mills Class Hunslet model...

And thanks for the very amusing and kind words in your post 418, Jaz!

• Like 2

I've got mines Iain but not the kind you're thinking about - Colorado, narrow gauge climaxes and baldwins to be sure, and a layout that no mag was the slightest bit interested in despite one of them sending Chris Nevard out to photograph it, not to use it mind you, but to make sure that no one else did either!

Magazine wars, I spent years getting mixed up in 'em! banned from the exhibition circuit twice because of it, and any ammount of agro in between that I could have well done without - but the pay was good!

Cheers

Allan.

I've got mines Iain but not the kind you're thinking about - Colorado, narrow gauge climaxes and baldwins to be sure, and a layout that no mag was the slightest bit interested in despite one of them sending Chris Nevard out to photograph it, not to use it mind you, but to make sure that no one else did either!

Magazine wars, I spent years getting mixed up in 'em! banned from the exhibition circuit twice because of it, and any ammount of agro in between that I could have well done without - but the pay was good!

Cheers

Allan.

Ah, Colorado narrow gauge...sweet. I did wonder why I had never seen that article in print...inexplicable.

I have myself been involved in a little crossfire of the magazine editor kind, best not to go into it ... I'd still like to get paid for writing!  I also wrote for a couple of mags that went down Titanic-style...I probably helped with the shuffling of the deckchairs...remember "Model Trains"? I did three articles for them and then ....sound of tumbleweeds and saloon doors creaking...

Got turned down by Cyril Freezer first, back in 1979! I almost gave up, but I'm glad I didn't although you patient folk might think differently!

cheers,

Iain

• RMweb Gold

So, gents, what is the secret of getting articles published ? Do you ( as 'names') sit and wait for the call, or do you offer an idea and see if it's wanted, or write the finished article then tout it round the mags ?

And what advice do you have for us mere mortals ?

Stu

• Like 1

Ah, Colorado narrow gauge...sweet. I did wonder why I had never seen that article in print...inexplicable.

I have myself been involved in a little crossfire of the magazine editor kind, best not to go into it ... I'd still like to get paid for writing!  I also wrote for a couple of mags that went down Titanic-style...I probably helped with the shuffling of the deckchairs...remember "Model Trains"? I did three articles for them and then ....sound of tumbleweeds and saloon doors creaking...

Got turned down by Cyril Freezer first, back in 1979! I almost gave up, but I'm glad I didn't although you patient folk might think differently!

cheers,

Iain

Well Iain, I've never mentioned this before, but Freezer did ask me once what I thought of this " new guy Robinson" and that wasn't really all that long after he had contracted me, so I just said "Who?" and he left it at that!!

Anyway,and unlike me, it was your raw talent that got you where you are, not writing volumes of undecipherable garbage for magazines for 40 years with the odd picture or two thrown in to make it look good!

Cheers.

Allan

So, gents, what is the secret of getting articles published ? Do you ( as 'names') sit and wait for the call, or do you offer an idea and see if it's wanted, or write the finished article then tout it round the mags ?

Stu

Well, Stu, the first thing is to have a look at the magazine that you fancy writing for and see what their house style is. For instance, Model Rail is very graphic and photo-heavy with stuff broken down into steps. The Modeller is slightly more biased towards a catchy article etc. The MRJ wants quality and detail and will give you a whole issue to yourself if the toipic is interesting enough.

I think the main thing is to start the article off with a killer phrase to get the reader (and editor) interested. Keep up with well organised detail (and a little humour doesn't go amiss). You topic will be interesting, 'cos I've seen your stuff. Just package it up in a Word RTF without any spelling mistakes, include good photos (CMYK for preference and at least 200dpi) and that's all there is to it.

Just remember articles you enjoyed and why you enjoyed them and write an article YOU would like to read.

NOT that I am any expert, that is Mr Downes, and no doubt he will give us the dope soon!

In the old days it used to be a bit of an old boy's club, but not any more, you have as much chance as anybody to get published. Good luck!

cheers,

Iain

Well Iain, I've never mentioned this before, but Freezer did ask me once what I thought of this " new guy Robinson" and that wasn't really all that long after he had contracted me, so I just said "Who?" and he left it at that!!

Anyway,and unlike me, it was your raw talent that got you where you are, not writing volumes of undecipherable garbage for magazines for 40 years with the odd picture or two thrown in to make it look good!

Cheers.

Allan

Hehe...thanks, Allan, that has made my day! No, your articles were so amusing, comments about the "local insectry" had me chortling...and your work was a breath of fresh air. The RM was also a bit stuffy before you came along, too.

My first photos were awful, the midland goods shed, which was my first RM article...I cringe.

Hehe...thanks, Allan, that has made my day! No, your articles were so amusing, comments about the "local insectry" had me chortling...and your work was a breath of fresh air. The RM was also a bit stuffy before you came along, too.

My first photos were awful, the midland goods shed, which was my first RM article...I cringe.

Tell you what happened Iain.

The very first atricle I sent in read like a kiddies first year book, so I asked Cyril if I could write the way I felt, the way I saw things so, within a few months, wifeys were starting to read their husbands copy of the modeller and wrote in sending up my ratings. I, or more to the point they, placed me as top author for 3 years running and all this in a model railway mazazine where I didn't know one end of a loco from another - and still don't!

Then when Cyril moved and Sydney died, slam!! they shut the door in my face and I haven't been able to run a single article in the RM ever since - I could tell you why, but not on here.

Cheers.

Allan.

• Like 1

Hmmm...interesting. I always thought that CJF didn't like me very much, but a source within Peco told me that Cyril used to rate my stuff, although didn't publish it all to stop me from getting above myself! It's no surprise your writing was popular, it still makes me laugh and informs me to this day...please write more!

cheers,

Iain

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'll give you more on the low down later Iain, right now I've had enough of computer keyboards and am gonna watch a  recording of Foyles War with the missus and a fist full of best  Scotch Whiskey !

Cheers for now.

Allan.

Foyle and a fist full of Whiskey. This thread is now officially perfect.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, Stu, the first thing is to have a look at the magazine that you fancy writing for and see what their house style is. For instance, Model Rail is very graphic and photo-heavy with stuff broken down into steps. The Modeller is slightly more biased towards a catchy article etc. The MRJ wants quality and detail and will give you a whole issue to yourself if the toipic is interesting enough.

I think the main thing is to start the article off with a killer phrase to get the reader (and editor) interested. Keep up with well organised detail (and a little humour doesn't go amiss). You topic will be interesting, 'cos I've seen your stuff. Just package it up in a Word RTF without any spelling mistakes, include good photos (CMYK for preference and at least 200dpi) and that's all there is to it.

Just remember articles you enjoyed and why you enjoyed them and write an article YOU would like to read.

NOT that I am any expert, that is Mr Downes, and no doubt he will give us the dope soon!

In the old days it used to be a bit of an old boy's club, but not any more, you have as much chance as anybody to get published. Good luck!

cheers,

Iain

Many thanks Iain, both for your reply and for your assessment of my modelling !

It's pretty obvious when you state write the article in the style of the magazine - obvious, that is, now it's been pointed out. Part of my aprehension is knowing at what skill level to pitch things at - explaining how to fold printed brick paper in a window might seem to be too easy to readers, but would be part of the process I'd have used. So if I left out all the simple bits, I'd have nothing left...

I need to do some thinking and practice & develop my 'style'....

I'll give you more on the low down later Iain, right now I've had enough of computer keyboards and am gonna watch a  recording of Foyles War with the missus and a fist full of best  Scotch Whiskey !

Cheers for now.

Allan.

Hope you're enjoying your well-earned whisky, Allan!

• Like 1

Stu

I missed this one Stu, so sorry for the late reply.

Obviously while Robinson had to beg to get published I had no problems at all !!!

Seriously though, if you had a layout or whatever that you wanted published and the magazine didn't know you then they would ask for photo's then decide whether or not to send out a photographer.

On the other hand if they were familliar with your work they would send out a photographer at the first opportunity - but that didn't guarantee publication albeit I was fortunate enough to have very little turned down  and when it was, it was because of the wrong content anyway such as an international theme.MR for example photographed two American themed layouts that I built but never used either of them. - and one has to remember that while these magazines rely on regular contributions, they don't need you as much as you, or I as a professional model maker, needed them. After all, it was three or four pages of free advertising every time my work was published and I have everything to thank the magazines for, between them they have helped to keep me in buisiness for the last 40 years.

Anyway Stu, it's always worth a try, if you've got something that you're proud of, I'm sure that any magazine would certainly considerate it for publication, a breath of freash air is always welcome I'm sure.

Cheers

Allan.

• Like 1

Upon thumbing through my folder containing 'all time favourite' modelling railway articles, I discover that what I'd actually kept was a series of three articles that appeared in Model Railways (remember that?) during 1982...

There were actually four articles, running from June to September 1982, the one missing from your collection is 'Stuck on Stucco' from the August edition.

All superb articles which left a lasting impession on my then young mind.

'Model Railways' was going through a golden period at the time, introducing me to the work and writings of Rice for example, such a shame that the publisher soon added 'Your' to the title and dumbed the magazine down.

There were actually four articles, running from June to September 1982, the one missing from your collection is 'Stuck on Stucco' from the August edition.

All superb articles which left a lasting impession on my then young mind.

'Model Railways' was going through a golden period at the time, introducing me to the work and writings of Rice for example, such a shame that the publisher soon added 'Your' to the title and dumbed the magazine down.

Hi Paul.

Being honest here, I must admit that I can never remember a magazine called 'Model Railways' , I always though that it was the Constructor that Cytil Freezer went to after he left the RM.

I do remember however now that you mention it the article 'Stuck On Stucco' and, as you say, one of a series of four I wrote for Freezer then I believe he retired and just spent his time with son Nick Freezer wandering around the exhibition circuit where he would home in on you and corner you for hours reminiscing on past glories in the RM !

He was a damn good editor in his time and certainly gave me a free reign and printed everything I sent in word for word, lie for lie ! and it was he that gave me a kick start in the world of commercial railway modelling. No, C J Freezer was an OK guy and the hobby owes a lot to him, may he rest in peace, gone, but not forgotton.

Cheers.

Allan.

• Like 3