RMweb

"Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

Old thatched stone cottage just started.

Had enough of accurate modelling, now for a bit of rough !

It's back with the old fire cement and Colron again and the roof thatched in knitting wool. Ain't done thatching for at least 20 years now so christ knows how it will turn out !

Cheers

Allan,post-18579-0-37958900-1425317396_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-69058400-1425317408_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-56534100-1425317421_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-48554700-1425317437_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-55941300-1425317456_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-60886400-1425317475_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-62780600-1425317492_thumb.jpg and thanks Iain C Robinson for the eighty five notifications - yep, the great man himself is back even though not in person !

• Like 3

Ain't done thatching for at least 20 years now so christ knows how it will turn out !

Cheers

Allan,attachicon.gifTHATCHED COTTAGE 1 001.JPGattachicon.gifTHATCHED COTTAGE 1 002.JPGattachicon.gifTHATCHED COTTAGE 1 003.JPGattachicon.gifTHATCHED COTTAGE 1 004.JPGattachicon.gifTHATCHED COTTAGE 1 005.JPGattachicon.gifTHATCHED COTTAGE 1 006.JPGattachicon.gifTHATCHED COTTAGE 1 007.JPG and thanks Iain C Robinson for the eighty five notifications - yep, the great man himself is back even though not in person !

I shouldn't worry too much Allan. Even if you put it on with your feet it's still got to look better than Kelly Osborn! Interesting picture though! Bad hair days I've heard of.....bad face days is a whole other ball game!

Regards

Bill

P.S HELLO IAIN! :good:

" and thanks Iain C Robinson for the eighty five notifications - yep, the great man himself is back even though not in person !"

Was it only 85? Sorry, I slipped up there Allan. You did say that if I liked 100 of your posts I could come back on this forum occasionally....?

cheers,

Iain

PS some amazing work on here as usual...whatever you are on Allan, (unless it's still Colron), I will have some! :-)

For anyone that still remembers me on here...I have let Allan carry the can of wood dye for too long and I still haven't managed to come up with a windmill to beat his. My customers, bless them, have been keeping me very busy but I can put a couple of the projects on here for you to have a look at.

Here's a wee signal box made for a 4mm scale line based on Kingsbridge. The box itself is mostly Gara Bridge, but my customer asked me to put a porch on...and I'm glad he did, as I think it improves it. Of course, when these shots were taken by Petra, I hadn't got round to putting railings across the windows or a name on the box. Full-ish details of how I made the model are on my blog ... but suffice to say that foamex was the main material in the build and that the windows were cut with the Cameo Cutter, a bit of kit that has saved me so much tedious and repetitive work.  Here's Jason's thread about the Cameo Cutter on RMWeb. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/79025-a-guide-to-using-the-silhouette-cameo-cutter/

Hope you like these, I will put some more models up as time permits

Iain

post-18033-0-70172800-1425386668_thumb.jpg

post-18033-0-17291200-1425386720_thumb.jpg

post-18033-0-81122900-1425386761.jpg The light coming from the skirting board isn't the latest in stylish uplighters...I just hadn't fixed the wall on when the shot was taken!

post-18033-0-93654400-1425386844_thumb.jpg

Edited by Iain C Robinson
  • Like 9

" and thanks Iain C Robinson for the eighty five notifications - yep, the great man himself is back even though not in person !"

Was it only 85? Sorry, I slipped up there Allan. You did say that if I liked 100 of your posts I could come back on this forum occasionally....?

cheers,

Iain

PS some amazing work on here as usual...whatever you are on Allan, (unless it's still Colron), I will have some! :-)

Have we met ?

However, welcome to the forum Mr Robinson and please feel free to post anytime but, no pictures at this stage as they have to be vetoed by me as I have a reputation to uphold.

With regards.

The Colron Kid.

For anyone that still remembers me on here...I have let Allan carry the can of wood dye for too long and I still haven't managed to come up with a windmill to beat his. My customers, bless them, have been keeping me very busy but I can put a couple of the projects on here for you to have a look at.

Here's a wee signal box made for a 4mm scale line based on Kingsbridge. The box itself is mostly Gara Bridge, but my customer asked me to put a porch on...and I'm glad he did, as I think it improves it. Of course, when these shots were taken by Petra, I hadn't got round to putting railings across the windows or a name on the box. Full-ish details of how I made the model are on my blog ... but suffice to say that foamex was the main material in the build and that the windows were cut with the Cameo Cutter, a bit of kit that has saved me so much tedious and repetitive work.  Here's Jason's thread about the Cameo Cutter on RMWeb. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/79025-a-guide-to-using-the-silhouette-cameo-cutter/

Iain

attachicon.gifthree quarter view (1009x1024).jpg

attachicon.gifSAM_2440 (1024x767).jpg

attachicon.gifSAM_2403 (800x600).jpg The light coming from the skirting board isn't the latest in stylish uplighters...I just hadn't fixed the wall on when the shot was taken!

attachicon.gifRear Elevation (962x1024).jpg

Well now, what a comeback model - magnificent workmanship as usual full of the Iain C Robinson touches that makes your work stand out above the rest ( ouch....)

Anyway, a lovely job Iain and a massive welcome back to the thread - both of you. Can I go on holiday now please ?

Cheers.

Allan,

Iain

attachicon.gifthree quarter view (1009x1024).jpg

attachicon.gifSAM_2440 (1024x767).jpg

attachicon.gifSAM_2403 (800x600).jpg The light coming from the skirting board isn't the latest in stylish uplighters...I just hadn't fixed the wall on when the shot was taken!

attachicon.gifRear Elevation (962x1024).jpg

Trying to pass off a photo of the real thing as a model?!

Actually, this is brilliant!

Nice finish already on those cottages Allan. The wall looks as if it has had years of limewashing which has gradually worn off...a really nice effect.  Going back to the half-timbered Wolf Hall lookalikes :-) I am at a loss to know, as I always have been, how you cut material so accurately and with such consistency. Amazing!  The Elizabethan stuff got the thumbs up from the real model maker, by the way...she says I can't cut that accurately even with the cameo cutter!

cheers,

Iain

So here's some shots of the station building on Kingsford for my customer. It was a bit of a saga as I first made it to replicate Kingsbridge, then John, my customer, saw Martin Goodall's stunning Burford model. No pressure then. So I altered the buildings to accomodate the overall roof.  At this point, Lee Robinson's advocacy of Foamex and Palight as a substrate for the stonework began to get through to me, helped by a kind friend sending me a wad of the stuff. That was it. I decided to rebuild the whole thing again in Palight, and I'm so glad I did.

Das is great for old cottages, like the one big Al is modelling with his customary chutzpah here. But for structures that have to exhibit regularity and clean lines, Das is a big struggle...it can be done, but Foamboard is much quicker. I went and built the overall roof out of the stuff, too, 2mm mostly. As usual, the whole sordid business is written up on my blog. The windows, incidentally, are etched by PPD in Lochgilphead to my artwork...although I would draw them and output them on the cameo now. The clerestory roof is made with the cameo. What a fiddle, perhaps I should have etched that!

Some pics...thanks to John for his patience...and yes, I will get back to work now :-)

cheers,

Iain

post-18033-0-43686000-1425395857.jpg

post-18033-0-27690900-1425395866.jpg

post-18033-0-25535400-1425395871.jpg

post-18033-0-28344800-1425395919.jpg

post-18033-0-34407000-1425395924.jpg

post-18033-0-26367100-1425395930.jpg

post-18033-0-21882100-1425395936.jpg

post-18033-0-60080400-1425396038.jpg

post-18033-0-18680700-1425396047.jpg

• Like 10

Nice finish already on those cottages Allan. The wall looks as if it has had years of limewashing which has gradually worn off...a really nice effect.  Going back to the half-timbered Wolf Hall lookalikes :-) I am at a loss to know, as I always have been, how you cut material so accurately and with such consistency. Amazing!  The Elizabethan stuff got the thumbs up from the real model maker, by the way...she says I can't cut that accurately even with the cameo cutter!

cheers,

Iain

Well me ol' mate, if we can't cut a straight line after 45 years we never will !

I really can't see the problem some people seem to have.I mean with a good set square and sharp Stanley knife how can you possibly not cut straight - and every time ?

I doubt however that I could match the Cameo Cutter but I bet I'm a damn sight faster !

Thumbs up from Petra ay ? Don't get better than that !

Cheers.

Allan

Now gonna close scrutinize that there station....

• Like 2

WOW!!! That station !!! 

Absolutely top  class work from the Robinson Stable.

Well Iain, I would say that stonework is amazing and I would go as far to say even better than stonework produced with Das  ( not including fire cement of course...) and that roof tiling, utterly unbelievable for some body who claims he can't cut a straight line !

It don't get better better than this - well maybe on occasion I suppose....

Cheers.

Allan.

"and that roof tiling, utterly unbelievable for some body who claims he can't cut a straight line !"

Thank you, Allan, but now I feel guilty. Because the slates are from York Modelmaking, their strips of self-adhesive slates which work out in 4mm as almost  "marchioness" size (12" by 22")

I must confess that I reduce everything down to procedures that need as little skill as possible...

cheers,

Iain