"Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

Allan, not many but gems all the same....

1. Nice view of the castle, like the light on the window, superb bit of modelling, (there doesn't seem to be a bad angle of it) and I am a sucker for colour. Good trees too, nicely sized. A copper beach? at the front?

2. This might only be black and white but there is a lot of interest with the scrap yard., and the model at the front is just enough out of focus to make you look twice, excellent photography, poor little spitfire. Unusual and different, very nice.

3. Very nice I don't recognise steam unless it's an A4, (not even my Hogwarts Castle lol)and to be honest not too many diesels either, but I like the overall look and the ballast and track detail are great.

4. I assume this is twinned with 2? Love what I assume is an old pub in the background (despite being B+W). When there was a sense of urgency did the Brits (and the GIs) ever climb over the trains?  Did you have them piled in the wagons?There is something missing -from what I see, they usually had kitbags. But I am being picky ;) You know it also is a great piece of work ;p

Where's Robinson hiding????? We waNT PICTURES ;p . 

Seriously though I do thank you both for your time, as and when any more can be added is great. I have this on 'follow this topic', so you can't slip past me.no you can't :no:

I have my eye on this topic :triniti:knowing that it delivers. :sungum:.............eventually ;p

• Like 2

Very nice to see some different angles on those favourites, Allan.

I will have to find the moth spray and delve into the dusty folder marked "Old Articles..." as I'm having a week off work at the moment and progress on models has halted!

cheers,

Iain

Now that the clouds of moths have disappeared I can open the dusty chest marked "ye olde articlef in ye modellinge presse"...

I don't think I have shown this one on here...a model of an American style structure which featured in the Continental Modeller. It was inspired by the great E. L. Moore's "8 Ball Loco Works" and was made from card covered in veneer strips in an effort to simulate siding. The roof was covered with a fabulous material which just isn't available any more; it was the paper backing to a brand of carpet fixing tape which looked perfect for rusty corrugated iron.

post-18033-0-65890000-1372448225_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks for the comments Jaz, no idea what the tree is, I only supplied the buildings, Mike Mc Donald built the layout.

Now then Iain me ol' Mate, nice to see you back.

Like me, you're running out of pics to put up - the guys can only put up with just so much  cathedral and steelworks and not to mention the awesome modelling that went into building Tetford and it's just as well that Peter hasn't finished Peterborough North or Carlisle yet otherwise we would both be in bother !

And since I'm no longer active that don't help either - oh woe is me....

Mind you, Model Rail have got hundreds of photo's of mine that go right back to when I first started but that would mean a trip to Peterborough to get them back - more woe is me...

Cheers.

Allan

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the comments Jaz, no idea what the tree is, I only supplied the buildings, Mike Mc Donald built the layout.

Now then Iain me ol' Mate, nice to see you back.

Like me, you're running out of pics to put up - the guys can only put up with just so much  cathedral and steelworks and not to mention the awesome modelling that went into building Tetford and it's just as well that Peter hasn't finished Peterborough North or Carlisle yet otherwise we would both be in bother !

And since I'm no longer active that don't help either - oh woe is me....

Mind you, Model Rail have got hundreds of photo's of mine that go right back to when I first started but that would mean a trip to Peterborough to get them back - more woe is me...

Cheers.

Allan

Hey Allan you could just PM  "Dibber" of this parish and ask if he'll post your pictures back.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Ha Ha I just grabbed a copy of Model Rail (#44 June 2002)to check I spelt Chrises name correctly and there's a 4page spread on how to construct tudor buildings ........ Al Hail!!!!!! 

Brilliant Allan.

• Like 1

Ha Ha I just grabbed a copy of Model Rail (#44 June 2002)to check I spelt Chrises name correctly and there's a 4page spread on how to construct tudor buildings ........ Al Hail!!!!!! 

Brilliant Allan.

Sasquatch.

Could you possibly scan them and put 'em up on here then I'll be forever in your debt, and one step ahead of Robinson !

Thanks mate.

Allan.

• RMweb Premium

Mmmmm scaning ............. I`ll wait untill SWMBO :angel:  gets home!

Am I allowed to reproduce content " without the prior permission of the publishers and copyright holder in writing"

Edited by Sasquatch

Am I allowed to reproduce content " without the prior permission of the publishers and copyright holder in writing"

Yes, no problem Sasquatch, most of the stuff I've put up on here was scanned from Model Rail hence some of the wonky photographs ?

Cheers.

Allan.

Just before Allan comes on with the photos from Chris Leigh, here are some rockers from the locker of a model I built back in the early eighties. It was a model of Wallingford set in 1910, which required a little bit of research, since there wasn't enough information in Paul Karau's seminal "GWR Branch Line Termini". It was built for a professional musician who had gigged with the likes of Little Richard etc and was no stranger to working in Las Vegas. Quite a character.

As I remember, the year this came out in the Railway Modeller, I was pipped to the post for most interesting article of the year by none other than a certain Allan Downes...

I wonder what the model would be like if I was to attempt it today. Apologies for the awful photo quality...

post-18033-0-14012700-1372505219_thumb.jpg

post-18033-0-55986200-1372505259_thumb.jpg

post-18033-0-58219500-1372505310_thumb.jpg

The first appearance of the giant seagull, genus Larus Maximus Styrenus...this one was hand carved, believe it or not! The window cleaner is a suitably pacified Airfix storm trooper, while the other figures are from the much-lamented "New Hope Design" range, which seems to have disappeared from the market.

post-18033-0-52448200-1372505453_thumb.jpg

post-18033-0-94582000-1372505492_thumb.jpg

Lastly, a construction shot...a damaged photo, sorry about that, but it may be of interest.

post-18033-0-67934600-1372505564.jpg

Edited by Iain C Robinson
  • Like 4

Well Iain, and having built bxxxxy Wallingford four thousand and ninety eight times !, I would say your interpretation was quite magnificent to say the least.

However, what made Wallingford so damned awkward was the 'Klondyke' as the driveres used to call it, a dead end siding that spread right out across the yard to the goods shed but it was the dairy and it's private siding that made it - yes a terrific choice of prototype if ever there was.

Pity about the model though !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway Mate, ever had a go at Fairford or Ashburton ? - everybody else has !

Cheers.

Allan.

Edited by allan downes

Yes, I did build Fairford, three times. I never built Ashburton, though...a pity as I love the prototype. I know it's hopeless for operation, but I never play trains anyway, preferring to just sit and look (rather critically sometimes)  at my creations...before courier-ing them off to whatever exotic destination...lol!

This Fairford was in N (I think)...looks rather clumsy, being made from Peco Scene clay (bad idea....) anyway, I later made a couple more, one of which was a master for a kit that never came out..grrrrr nor did I get paid for it. double grrrrr!

post-18033-0-74149500-1372509840_thumb.jpg

post-18033-0-10500800-1372509873.jpg

cheers,

Iain

• Like 8

I just checked the magazine article...it was 4mm, which makes it look rather coarse, although I thought it was good at the time. I made the goods shed and carriage sheds, too, which were rather better...will post those when I can find them.

• Like 1

Yes, I also built a few 'masters' for kits - Pola, Peco, Tonka Toys for a start, but though they came to nowt at least I did get paid for 'em Iain - and got a full set of Tonka Toys in the bargain for the kids which they trashed in ten minutes, forty five seconds flat ! - indestrucatable, yeh right, they hadn't rekoned on my two little angels and dad's blow torch !

Edited by allan downes

As a Cholsey & Wallingford Railway volunteer, I'm quite pleasantly surprised to see mention of Wallingford station in this thread. Please keep the photos coming! (and if either of you still have drawings of any of the buildings at Wallingford they'd be of particular interest as the CWR are in the process of planning/ fundraising for a new station building!).

RJS, as Iain has already mentioned, all the building plans for Wallingford and various track plans as changed throughout it's time, are well documented in Paul Karau's " Great Western Branch Line  Temini" either volume one or volume two - a must read for every GWR fan

Cheers.

Allan.