"Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

Iain, fancy a re run on industry ? - I'm getting rather desperate !

Cheers

Allan.

So long as it's not cathedrals...I get the shakes now every time I see a church!

Here's the header card I did for "Railside" a range of loads and things like vegetable crates etc...mostly their niche has been taken over by Harburn Hobbies and Townstreet now. I enjoyed making the masters very much, and the ultimate trip, saw my "pile of bricks" on the Pendon layout....OK bragging over now, sorry. I also helped with a range of road vehicles and wrote the instructions. Then they ran out of cash and I got shirty, so they got someone else to make stuff for them...!

post-18033-0-34314000-1372517365.jpg

post-18033-0-31245000-1372517403_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Absolutely brilliant, mate! It looks as if you were given a free hand to portray the scene, resulting in a very fine looking model with character for miles. On the occasions when I am asked to build something like a gas rig or a ship, the customer is (quite rightly) super-picky about everything - there's no creativity involved, which is why I love building for railway modellers...they are much more aware of the need for atmosphere.

cheers,

Iain

Best I can do for pipework just now! This is a scan from an article in "Model Trains" and was for a chap in Australia who had an American style layout...the oil drums are from my own masters done for "Railside". I made about 20 models for this guy including some locos and a chemical plant, but I didn't take photos....idiot!

post-18033-0-70787300-1372519531.jpg

Ah, terrific little model Iain, your stamp all over it and yes, creativity and to hell with the prototype !

This shot of a steelworks?! - 100% imagination, 100% nothing like a steelworks at all, 100% me...ah, but, just WHAT is a steelworks supposed to look like?!

Well certainly not a blast furnace made from an upturned fire cement tub,pipework from Wick's plumbing department, storage tanks from empty aerosol cans, miles of plastic sprue - anything and everything, even the wife's old suspender clips !!! but what else could I call it after all that - Tweeville ?! 

So, Tweeville with attitude.

post-18579-0-16145100-1372522046_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Well certainly not a blast furnace made from an upturned fire cement tub,pipework from Wick's plumbing department, storage tanks from empty aerosol cans, miles of plastic sprue - anything and everything, even the wife's old suspender clips !!!

Steady on, I'm going to have to have a lie down now... :blind:

Steady on, I'm going to have to have a lie down now... :blind:

Me too Iain, pitting myself against the master isn't just impossible, it's also bxxxdy hard work and if Leyland makes an appearance, I ain't gettin' up !

Catch you after a kip Mate.

Cheers.

Allan

Re-runs..............;p.

Love post 516, well I had to drag myself away from the water.....but the little houses are absolutely gorgeous

I've been keeping the metal bit off the cable drums.....post 520....only another 43 to go........................do you use the cardboard cores from tin foil?

Iain post 472 how did you make the corrugated iron/asbestos? I have looked at  P13357001.jpgwhich has two sizes of interest

I am wanting to make this 

Re-runs..............;p.

Love post 516, well I had to drag myself away from the water.....but the little houses are absolutely gorgeous

I've been keeping the metal bit off the cable drums.....post 520....only another 43 to go........................do you use the cardboard cores from tin foil?

Iain post 472 how did you make the corrugated iron/asbestos? I have looked at  P13357001.jpgwhich has two sizes of interest

I am wanting to make this 

Jaz, that thing in the photo there looks interesting, what the heck is it?? Some kind of kitchenalia?

The corrugated in my Clay store #472 is from Wills, it's their corrugated asbestos and it's very good, if a little difficult to work. It has annoying moulded tabs on the edges of each sheet, presumably for location but they are always in the way and a darned nuisance. I'd still recommend it, though.

cheers,

Iain

The tool I put up has 6 tools 2 are wavy, one is likely double the size of the other. I wanted to make a very prototypical multi purpose shed (used in farms), I needed 15cm centres and 7cm centres. One for corrugated iron on the doors, one for corrugated blue asbestos. I bought one from a hobby shop paid 14£ then found they sell on the interent for 5£ odd so I took it back and keep meaning to buy the cheaper one. I thought I could use DAS and slice it down on some type of guide to get a front then slice it with a straight edge to stick to plasticard. 15670_96124_IMG_02_0001.jpg This picture has a very similar one, the one on the left, this is courtesy of Right move. So South Eastern Finecast could do the brick, I have seen their corrugated but I need two sizes ;( And yep you are both going to be very hard to live up to, Allan your post 528 is cool and Robinson's one with the orangey moss is still blowing my mind. I love the little screws...perhaps PH Designs tool can sort that bit out. Once I find a way to do the 15cm and 7cm dia in 00 gauge I will have no excuse left to not attack this.......... ;). I also think RMweb need to revise the ratings and add.......gobsmacked!!!

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 2

15670_96124_IMG_02_0001.jpg This picture has a very similar one, the one on the left, this is courtesy of Right move. So South Lincs could do the brick, I have seen their corrugated but I need two sizes ;( And yep you are both going to be very hard to live up to, Allan your post 528 is cool and Robinson's one with the orangey moss is still blowing my mind. I love the little screws...perhaps PH Designs tool can sort that bit out. Once I find a way to do the 15cm and 7cm dia in 00 gauge I will have no excuse left to not attack this.......... ;). I also think RMweb need to revise the ratings and add.......gobsmacked!!!

Jaz, that's a classic shed, the sort that us devotees of galvo/cement buildings savour. Look at the runoff weathering patterns, classic! Thanks for the kind comments, and perhaps I should start looking at the craft market, too!

cheers,

Iain

• Like 1

We've done corrugated, so's how's about roof tiling Guys ?

This to me, along with windows, is the most important aspect of a building, get this right and it will do wonders for even the blandest of buildings, go cheap and get it wrong and it'll ruin the best.

Just an opinion of course but since the roof of a building is the largest single expanse and, when viewed as a model, it's what you see the most of and what you see first, then it must surely deserve particular attention - in other words, no long strips of overlapping paper lifting up  all along the edges or, and even worse still, half cut sandpaper strips doing exactly the same thing that I covered every building with when I first started out at the same time as thinking it was the bees knees !

So I'm off now to see whether I can dig out some half decent roof shots  ( including those notorious sandpaper strips !)  in my increasingly confusing filing system - what a mess, pictures turning up under 'Videos' when I've never as much as made a video yet !

Right, found some roof shots - what a nightmare trying to downsize them especially after they've been downsized a hundred times before already !

The first lot, loose buildings built for 'Pipers Mead' in 1975, show the imfamous sandpaper strips as cut out by my late wife as she sat in Amersham hospital waiting to deliver our daughter!!! - well, she did say she was bored!!

The next two pics show an improvement - individual tiles - and as far as I was prepared to go commercially and a method I have used over the last 40 years almost - it it works, why change it ?!

post-18579-0-31857600-1372618751_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-94579500-1372618669.jpgpost-18579-0-29335700-1372617302_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I generally mark the roof out with slate courses before I fix it to the building, then it is relatively easy to lay the slates accurately. Most of my customers insist on removable roofs, which makes things a little more difficult as the roof has to be made as a unit, but applying the slates is the same.

Folk sometimes become confused between slates and tiles...in truth, tiles are far more difficult to reproduce, being thicker, generally smaller and often in pesky shapes, like pantiles.

I know Allan had a special tile press made to produce individual tiles.

Slates also come in many different sizes and it's often a good idea to think about this before finishing a structure...often depending on the roof pitch or the "poshness" of a building slates can sometimes be as large as 26" x 16" (Empress) although the most common are Countess at 20" x 10". The only way to produce these is by cutting bond paper into individual slates...I know some people cut them into rows and apply them, but to my mind it just doesn't look right. If you are interested in slate sizes I can recommend this link to a brilliant site, but beware, it will become a time sink!

http://www.penmorfa.com/Slate/sizes.htm

cheers,

Iain

A variety of roofes covered in commercial slates - Wills - and what I used to call my "Budget line" for customers that turned up in a Bentley pleading poverty !!

These are well defined as are most Wills products, self supporting at 2mm thick but postcard size sheets mean they are not easy to match up on large roofes - hence the use of raised 'party' wall dividers on the factory roof.

post-18579-0-47650600-1372667936.jpgpost-18579-0-69652200-1372668067.jpgpost-18579-0-33248100-1372668110.jpgpost-18579-0-98486100-1372668132.jpg