"Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

Allan

Love the pictures (especially the coloured ones 'cos it's so much easier to appreciate the work, the tone in the last pic of post 533 is just .....extraordinary... , aged patina on the tudor building...green on the church..roof tiles in the foreground..bliss.

Can I have a browny point for finding a join???? Castle tower, do you know how good that little join makes me feel ;) Love the close up What do you use to make the tudor woodwork so good? And the rounded roof.

Iain

We acquired some (ref post 538) Railway Modellers, I am just going to check the years.....Else I have to go use my dads computer he has a touch screen that I can read this off....oh no Kal's ipad can do that.....and print..........

Allan

A machine to cut individual little tiles........I would so like to say that is sad....but actually it sounds wonderful....so envious (and perhaps a little jealous too).....hang on a sec can you make individual shapes as well? How many in each press? just 00 gauge? Aaaaaaaaaagh!!!!!

There I was responding to 538 and you had a bean feast.......will look later must go work.........

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

Jaz, back onto the corrugated iron - this is a little lamp hut using home made corrugations:

2013 05 11 08.36.58

basically, I made a jig by embossing lines with a biro in a piece of compressed pvc foamcore (not paper-backed foam board) at 1mm spacings, then overlaying a sheet of foil (the kind you get in ready made serving platters, readily available from the pound shop) and tracing the embossing through.

*edit* link to blog post: http://www.lnrmodels.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/the-joy-of-sheds.html

Edited by freebs

Jaz, back onto the corrugated iron - this is a little lamp hut using home made corrugations:

basically, I made a jig by embossing lines with a biro in a piece of compressed pvc foamcore (not paper-backed foam board) at 1mm spacings, then overlaying a sheet of foil (the kind you get in ready made serving platters, readily available from the pound shop) and tracing the embossing through.

*edit* link to blog post: http://www.lnrmodels.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/the-joy-of-sheds.html

Also thought the signal box was great too Feebs, in fact, a lovely little scene altogether, dripping in atmosphere. More please.

Also thought the signal box was great too Feebs, in fact, a lovely little scene altogether, dripping in atmosphere. More please.

The lamp hut was inspired by your good self. I'd built the Signal box first, then thought it could do with something else, and having seen a couple of your images with lamp huts near the boxes... well I was off! :)

Can't think that I ever built a signal box Feebs without a lamp hut in attendance!

Do you wanna see a couple of re runs showing the same ?

Please say yes cos I'm strugglin' to keep up with Robinson !

Cheers.

Allan.

Just a couple here Feebs, both been shown before on all four corners of the Web, just me riding on the back of past glories I'm affraid these days !

But I do have a cathedral that nobody's seen !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - well except for Robinson who hates it !!

post-18579-0-35061300-1372679403.jpgpost-18579-0-17522100-1372679726.jpg

Allan,

How much of the signal box is scratch built, and how much is using components, such as the Wills roof ?

Stu

Hi Stu.

Apart from the bargeboards and steps, which were aquired from Freestone Models as part of a signal box detailing kit, the whole lot is scratchbuilt.

However, the windows are brass etched from Scalelink and the referred  " Wills roof  " isn't - it's individual card tiles.

Cheers.

Allan.

• Like 1

Allan

Can I have a browny point for finding a join???? Castle tower, do you know how good that little join makes me feel ;)

Naughty!  Traditional, hand-made Persian rugs have intentional flaws because the Muslim artists feel that only Allah is perfect and has the right to create perfectly - but you don't go looking for the flaw! Of course, in Allan's case, any little joins no doubt have more to do with Wills's tiny sheets of material than with religious scruples!

• Like 1

Naughty!  Traditional, hand-made Persian rugs have intentional flaws because the Muslim artists feel that only Allah is perfect and has the right to create perfectly - but you don't go looking for the flaw! Of course, in Allan's case, any little joins no doubt have more to do with Wills's tiny sheets of material than with religious scruples!

Ha! Just the excuse I have been looking for!

And not to mention his idleness and hoped that no one would notice - anyway, it's an expansion joint !!

Cheers.

Allan.

• Like 1

Here's a photo of a goods shed covered with Scalescenes brickpaper, built by your humble scribe, but the roof and the slates were by my infinitely better half, Petra, who fixed them in lengths, just like I said earlier not to do...and hers look great. She made a file in Photoshop to Countess size (the original plans from GWR drawings specified Penrhyn Countess), checked the colour of Penrhyn slates (we don't live far away) and output them onto heavy matte photo paper. They were fixed with double sided.

On with my anorak with enamel train badges:

Slate colours...if you are making a prototype like this where you know the origin, or if you just want to give local authenticity, it's worth knowing the rough shades and hues. Blaenau Ffestiniog slates are a range of blue/greys, from mid (Maenofferen) to very light grey (Cwt-y-Bugail), while Penrhyn are slightly more blue/purple and Bethesda are full on Purple. Gwydir slates are more reddish and coarse, with pyrites lumps...mostly seen in older buildings in the Conwy valley.  I am only scratching the surface here, as there are the Aberdeenshire and Cornish Delabole slates (blue/grey and greeny/grey respectively), Ballachulish  and Pembrokeshire...I am no expert but you can see that it is a fascinating (to me) subject!  Apologies for boring you all to death.

post-18033-0-52355600-1372688684.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi Stu.

Apart from the bargeboards and steps, which were aquired from Freestone Models as part of a signal box detailing kit, the whole lot is scratchbuilt.

However, the windows are brass etched from Scalelink and the referred  " Wills roof  " isn't - it's individual card tiles.

Cheers.

Allan.

Is there a button for "oops !" ?

• RMweb Premium

On with my anorak with enamel train badges:

Slate colours...if you are making a prototype like this where you know the origin, or if you just want to give local authenticity, it's worth knowing the rough shades and hues. Blaenau Ffestiniog slates are a range of blue/greys, from mid (Maenofferen) to very light grey (Cwt-y-Bugail), while Penrhyn are slightly more blue/purple and Bethesda are full on Purple. Gwydir slates are more reddish and coarse, with pyrites lumps...mostly seen in older buildings in the Conwy valley.  I am only scratching the surface here, as there are the Aberdeenshire and Cornish Delabole slates (blue/grey and greeny/grey respectively), Ballachulish  and Pembrokeshire...I am no expert but you can see that it is a fascinating (to me) subject!  Apologies for boring you all to death.

I very nearly choked on my flakes Iain.

You have started a new catch fraise!!!  Soon guests won't understand a thing on this site.

One day away working and SWMBO has washed my AWETB!  She even got into the man cave in the man cave and tidied it up!!

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone had any success with those slaters slates that come printed on to a sheet to be cut into strips and assembled onto another sheet of plain stock in rows. I tried them once on Dunsters goods shed roof but the lot bowed so badly I resorted to wills for the main roof. The office has the slaters ones though. 

Shaun.

Edited by Sasquatch

• RMweb Premium

Hi Allan. Its going to be in the 100s today. The work is finnished as of yesterday, (check in hand too). Horray!!!

Ok I'll scan it after breakfast but Iain please don't think I'm taking sides.

Theres a pic of Dunsters goods shed here some where.

post-8964-0-36735900-1372694627_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 3

And very nice too if I may say so Sasquatch, nice warm colours, not that you seem to need it way up in Oregon - I always thought Oregon was freezing !

Breakfast did you say, just how far behind us on the clock are you, I'm almost ready for bed !

After watching all these 14 yre old kids on Youtube breeze through every guitar lick and instrumental ever recorded, I've been brushing up on my Strat - bxxxdy useless!

Loosing it in the Scunthorpe pollution.

Allan.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Its 10am here so 8 hours behind! Mrs sasquatch is urging me to get off of here and get things done before the sun gets up too high.

My son is somewhere over Canada on a 747 right now sdo lots to do!

Regards Shaun.

• Like 1

I was not being picky for pickiness sake you understand, I was just glad to find a seam in your almost seamless work. But I think 'expansion point' was certainly quick on the hoof thinking...;p

Now you know its not fair to come back even a few inches/centimetres with those pictures, there's no hope of finding even a crack! 

Maybe if you have some very close ups of that cathedral I could make Iain happy ;) it would save him having to run off to his hole.........so often  :jester:

And you'll give me a complex, I'll be terrified to scratch build let alone post it up for you to laugh at.   :scared: Just think of the waste of all the information I have gleaned from your ramblings ...I mean thread.  :training:

As it is I can't work on my layout at the sec, and I keep giving that DAS a sideways look, but it has to wait, and I want to have a go at a thatched roof after the 'shed'. I'm not certain if I'm mad, stupid or brave ;p Possibly all 3  :sungum:

Now it's about time you put up a new picture....hang on I'm sure I have a magnifying glass some where........X2? thats no good X50? oooh that might be useful :)