"Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

How did you get the excellent effect when painting the capping stones please?

How did you get the excellent effect when painting the capping stones please?

This I call 'liquid stone'

In effect this is nothing more than a creamy mix of pollyfila, PVA and water that is then brushed and stippled over the capping stones and pier caps and when dry lightly brushed over with Colron English Light Oak wood dye then dusted in matt black.After all has dried out completely a very light sanding will highlight the texture.

Cheers.

Allan.

'

What with it being a quiet evening, i started ploughing through this thread from the start (again), But stopped after a few pages, the rest will have to wait until I retire. As a modeller who is now in his late 40's and started as a teenager withe superquick. I have recently done my first ever attempt at scratch building. It is no where near these standards. It's a bit depressing, could we see some pictures of peoples first efforts ever at building models

This was MY first attempt at scratch building - I slightly cheated and took the rough measurements of Scalecenes' Medium station building and made it up using the walls from the Scalescenes Tunnel portal I had downloaded...

post-15693-0-82655700-1430132837.jpg

I wasn't really happy with it in the end, and having come across Iain Robinson's use of DAS clay to make walls, I had a go at my own..

post-15693-0-09345000-1430132897_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately I wasn't really happy with this one either, so it's currently sat on a shelf somewhere, minus a roof and painted cream, awaiting at some point, a complete overhaul...

The station building was ultimately replaced with this:

post-15693-0-99808600-1430133090.jpg

post-15693-0-42303900-1430133031.jpg

• Like 8

Soooo....early attempts at modelling, eh? Our Lee has put me to shame with his early work in the field of structure modelling.  Thankfully, no early examples exist of my modelmaking...they were dire. My two first commissions weren't much better- I had some nerve charging for these.  The first two were a locomen's hut and water tank based on Templecombe and tricked out with Pyruma...sorry about the poor quality and damage :-)  The next was an outback garage for the same customer. This guy was a kindly but VERY eccentric gentleman in Australia, who used to send me correspondence from his "general manager" on paper headed with the name of his imaginary railway company. Everything had to be done as if it was for real, which thankfully extended to paying me, although in line with prototype practice it was not nearly enough. I was new at the game and I underestimated how long the work would take...I hadn't charged him properly...he loaded me with enough work to last my lifetime (working at 0.03p an hour) and when I told him I couldn't work at that rate, the toys were thrown out of the pram. I heard that he died leaving a massive model railway empire...wonder who built it?

The second photo is one of my late 70's commissions for a lovely gent who was back in touch recently...he still has the models I built for him and I am hoping to get some photos.

I was always too busy to take photos of my models, at least until the era of blogging and digital photos, so many models have been unrecorded- although perhaps that's no bad thing :-)

cheers,

Iain

post-18033-0-54461700-1430137642_thumb.jpg

post-18033-0-74895600-1430137680_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Hi Freebs.

Terrific modelling so why not go the whole nine yards and tile it out in individual tiles ? - makes all the difference mate.

Cheers.

Allan

I've since switched my technique to individual tiles, as the slotted strips method just looks like "planks"

At some point I'll re-roof the big station (the roof is starting to lift anyway)

• Like 1

That scribing is utterly superb, Iain. I'm going to have to up it a notch now! Who needs DAS, eh?

Thank you, Lee- but if it wasn't for you I would still be using Das, and probably coughing like an old slate miner.  Das was good, but messy to apply and to scribe...and the dust! So thanks for releasing me from that :declare:

cheers,

Iain

• Like 2

I don't have any photographs of my first example but I think it was a blacksmiths forge with thatched roof cottage made from wool and flock. Some bloke in the Railway Modeller had a series of articles on this method back in the 70's . . .

• Like 1

I don't have any photographs of my first example but I think it was a blacksmiths forge with thatched roof cottage made from wool and flock. Some bloke in the Railway Modeller had a series of articles on this method back in the 70's . . .

Think that was me but Robinson will have you think that it was him. In fact, he'll even pay you to think that it was him !

Beware of any man with 'C' as a middle name...

Edited by allan downes

Iain, I had ten notifications just now and nine of them were from you.

But I'll still be charging you a swift 50 for any hints, tips and ideas.

Cheers.

Allan

BTW, that foam board scribing has taken modelling stonework to another level - absolutely outstanding.

• Like 1

That would have been Iain then for eight quid a page.

I couldn't afford Mek Pak at £8 a page...I think it was polycell brush cleaner...quite good as a solvent for styrene, the only trouble is that it doesn't know when to stop. Came back from lunch to find a contemporary art sculpture where my model had been ...

Don't ever knock a whole bottle of plastic solvent over and stay in the same room. If you do, you'll spend the next fortnight on another planet.

But if the RM fees per page were anything to go by back in the 70's, S C Pritchard and Cyril Freezer were always doing it.

Cheers.

Allan

Don't ever knock a whole bottle of plastic solvent over and stay in the same room. If you do, you'll spend the next fortnight on another planet.

Mate of mine did that in his (semi-open plan) office once! His workload was so quiet he'd taken a wagon kit in to do (shielded from view by the desk partitions). Suddenly he realised the boss was coming so hid the kit and the bottle of solvent in a desk drawer. Unfortunately the lid wasn't on properly and as he shut the drawer, the bottle fell over. By now the boss was right at his desk so he couldn't open the drawer to take remedial action and just had to keep talking to his boss while the solvents melted their way through the bottom of the drawer and his colleagues on neighbouring desks wondered what the funny smell was...

• Like 1

Mate of mine did that in his (semi-open plan) office once! His workload was so quiet he'd taken a wagon kit in to do (shielded from view by the desk partitions). Suddenly he realised the boss was coming so hid the kit and the bottle of solvent in a desk drawer. Unfortunately the lid wasn't on properly and as he shut the drawer, the bottle fell over. By now the boss was right at his desk so he couldn't open the drawer to take remedial action and just had to keep talking to his boss while the solvents melted their way through the bottom of the drawer and his colleagues on neighbouring desks wondered what the funny smell was...

That is so funny. One of the apprentices at an agency that I worked for in Glasgow was a wonderful Goth girl with a serious attitude...she was angry with the boss one day and went over to his desk, sprayed it with "Kleen Art" and set fire to it!  Amazingly, the boss saw the funny side and she wasn't sacked!  All the more amazing considering that one of the staff made a complete flustercuck of a job and after sacking the guy, my boss kicked the door and put his foot right through it. We were all trying not to laugh...

cheers,

Iain

Well, I've just discovered that the solvent cleaner we use for cleaning ink off the printer, also makes a very effective plastic weld for sticking plastic sheet to foamex. I've also discovered that it doesn't evaporate very quickly and if you accidentally lean a brush that's been dipped in it against a neatly scribed half-completed foamex wall, it slowly dissolves it...