"Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

Just needs a few thousand rivets and you're done Allan.  :tomato:

And you know rivets always need counting.

I'm excused, as a musican I can only count up to four. Any more and I have to subdivide!

Hi Kelly and a massive welcome to the forum and, indeed, this Thread.Hope to hear further from you soon and no doubt so will my very good friend Ian C Robinson who's not as good as me though he thinks he is.Cheers.Allan

(Made purely in jest Allan) ( you listen in' Iain?)

post-20303-0-93636200-1431814640.jpg

Riveting stuff again Allan :)

• RMweb Premium

You probably considered punching all those rivets from the rear of each part Allan. I would have opted to do that but then again it would have taken me 14 months without the rivets!

Grand job, very impressive engineering.

Squatch.

• Like 1

The first of five cross braces.

The client, a tractor driver from Sheffield who in his spare time drives any one of twenty super cars he has stacked up  in his back garden has given the go ahead for a brief mention of what these bridges are for - and actual scale mile and a half of Heaton Lodge Junction in O gauge which translates to 180 feet in length, all handbuilt track and  requiering 54 baseboards with an 18 month dead line !!!

More no doubt will be revealed as the layout progressess .

Cheers.

Allan,

post-18579-0-58181100-1431871956_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-26369300-1431871967_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-42357200-1431871978_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-69361000-1431871993_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Hi Allan

The bridge is excellent, as is all your other work, and Ians.

Just thought you might like to see these 2 other bridges that I have made for my Bridge of Muir layout (If you are at the Gt. Central show this year the layout is there. and is also in the june issue of Hornby mag. and on the Glen Gillie thread on RMWeb)

The first shot is of the small bridge about 2' long across one of the small lochs all made from plastruct sections and the plastic centres of till tolls for the rounds for the round columns.

The 2nd bridge is based on Connel Ferry in west Scotland. Overall from viaduct end to end it is just short of 10' with the main steel structure of 7'6". It is as near accurate as I could make it with the dimensions and drawings that I had got. Again it is all made out of plastruct sections but does have 2 U sections of brass under the decking to give added strength. All told about 450-500 hours in the making.

Hope you don't mind me putting this on, your comments would be most welcome.

post-6915-0-26253000-1431943260.jpg

post-6915-0-17096700-1431943266.jpg

post-6915-0-60029500-1431943271.jpg

post-6915-0-04174800-1431943276.jpg

post-6915-0-04420700-1431943280.jpg

Regards

Peter

Edited by trains12
  • Like 6

Double arched skew brige sides complete.

The colouring method is very straight foreward - first a good base coat of acrylic white primer then whe dry, an even coat of black emulsion that is cut back with a damp cloth whilst still wet.

Cheers.

Allan

post-18579-0-61609500-1432483634_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-61544500-1432483646_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-95451700-1432483657_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-45321100-1432483675_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-01731000-1432483692_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

There's a bloke on here by the name of Andrew P - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/98858-whittaker-st-western-region/- who we often tease about the speed with which he can build a layout. I think he's got some competition! What is amazing (scary?) is the way you both produce such consistently first class results in the process!

Regards

Bill

Edited by Mythocentric

Today Family Bathrooms was in Wales with Mrs Jam and husband, Mr Cabbage.She wanted a warehouse in which to make vats of jam, he wanted Snowdonia in which to grow cabbages by the truck load.

The presenter, in naff blue expandable trousers who's touopee was threadbare and fraying at the edges was hoping for a back hander by way of a new one.

Niether got either, but all got porked out on game pie and claret in the local pub.

Your TV licence paid for it.

• RMweb Gold

Today Family Bathrooms was in Wales with Mrs Jam and husband, Mr Cabbage.She wanted a warehouse in which to make vats of jam, he wanted Snowdonia in which to grow cabbages by the truck load.

The presenter, in naff blue expandable trousers who's touopee was threadbare and fraying at the edges was hoping for a back hander by way of a new one.

Niether got either, but all got porked out on game pie and claret in the local pub.

Your TV licence paid for it.

Snowdonia - that be Robinson country - there'll be ructions in the back rows of the choirs if there's an influx of non-Welsh bathroom fanatics !!

Hi Allan

The bridge is excellent, as is all your other work, and Ians.

Just thought you might like to see these 2 other bridges that I have made for my Bridge of Muir layout (If you are at the Gt. Central show this year the layout is there. and is also in the june issue of Hornby mag. and on the Glen Gillie thread on RMWeb)

The first shot is of the small bridge about 2' long across one of the small lochs all made from plastruct sections and the plastic centres of till tolls for the rounds for the round columns.

The 2nd bridge is based on Connel Ferry in west Scotland. Overall from viaduct end to end it is just short of 10' with the main steel structure of 7'6". It is as near accurate as I could make it with the dimensions and drawings that I had got. Again it is all made out of plastruct sections but does have 2 U sections of brass under the decking to give added strength. All told about 450-500 hours in the making.

Hope you don't mind me putting this on, your comments would be most welcome.

attachicon.gifIMG_5016.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_5223.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_5225.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_5321.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_5322.JPG

Regards

Peter

Hi Peter, these bridges are superb and I will have to buy that Hornby mag now to savour the layout. I know the Connel ferry bridge very well, used to cycle over it in my teens- you have caught the atmosphere well and as for the construction it is pretty damned impressive. Where would we be without Plastruct and Evergreen sections- well, your model is a very good advert for the advanced use of the stuff. Superb.

cheers,

Iain

Snowdonia - that be Robinson country - there'll be ructions in the back rows of the choirs if there's an influx of non-Welsh bathroom fanatics !!

Oh I don't know Stu! I can't see a sophisticated chap like Iain Robinson letting people of that ilk phase him out. He's no stranger to luxury himself you know! Last I heard he'd grown a privet hedge around the tin bath in the garden so all the family can bathe in privacy!

Hello Iain! Congrats on 200,000+ posts and thank you for the ratings!

Regards

Bill

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Oh I don't know Stu! I can't see a sophisticated chap like Iain Robinson letting people of that ilk phase him out. He's no stranger to luxury himself you know! Last I heard he'd grown a privet hedge around the tin bath in the garden so all the family can bathe in privacy!

Hello Iain! Congrats on 200,000+ posts and thank you for the ratings!

Regards

Bill

Last Allan had heard was Iain had moved underground to get away from his Tudor windmills !!

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 1

Allan, those examples of Downes bravura girderage make me want to give up- so good, so accurate and square...and so fast!  I have been snowed under with work but right now I am doing a little fun project for a friend, building some garden sheds for his layout (Llangunllo)...I'm thoroughly enjoying pottering about with them and it strikes me as the sort of project that a beginner could do and get results very quickly.

It seems absurd posting these pics after the magnificence that has gone before, but I hope it might encourage some folk on here who are daunted by what seems God-like work from the boss.

First pic- the walls made from card

post-18033-0-62984200-1432655094.jpg

Painted up and with choice bits added from Scalelink castings. I painted the walls with washes of acrylic, with reference to my own garden shed which is lost in a grassy wilderness with a rusted up lawn mower inside :-)

post-18033-0-08933300-1432655138.jpg

More detail in the interior with guess what, plastruct pea sticks!

post-18033-0-89783300-1432655267.jpg

Finally roofed up (that means something rather different in slate mining circles...) using Daler Murano charcoal paper and a Springside cat (who needs a bit more flash filing off)  The gutter and downspouts are too coarse, and I will replace tonight with slimmer ones...you really notice it in the photo, although in real life it looks OK.

post-18033-0-45355300-1432655447.jpg

This was a lot of fun, and I have two more to build in my spare time.  If you want to see Geoff's layout, it's at http://radnorailways.blogspot.co.uk/ and is a delight, although all that will change with the addition of the huts, it will all be downhill from then on...

I will post the other stuff I have been building very soon, not that it can hold a candle to Speedy Downes, the fastest scalpel in the west! :jester:

cheers,

Iain

(edited for spelling)  (edited AGAIN for a dodgy link)

Edited by Iain C Robinson
  • Like 5