"Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

Last Allan had heard was Iain had moved underground to get away from his Tudor windmills !!

Believe it or not, we are supposed to be getting a wind farm on the top of one of our local mines, Llechwedd, the one that does all the Zip Wires, "Bounce Below" (sounds like a belly dancing convention) and the downhill Bike runs. It's likely to spoil a fair bit of archaeology with the access roads but I guess it's all in a good cause. Not that Lechwedd have ever bothered about a bit of archaeology...

Just hope Allan hasn't had anything to do with the plans !

cheers,

Iain

Allan, those examples of Downes bravura girderage make me want to give up- so good, so accurate and square...and so fast!  I have been snowed under with work but right now I am doing a little fun project for a friend, building some garden sheds for his layout (Llangunllo)...I'm thoroughly enjoying pottering about with them and it strikes me as the sort of project that a beginner could do and get results very quickly.

It seems absurd posting these pics after the magnificence that has gone before, but I hope it might encourage some folk on here who are daunted by what seems God-like work from the boss.

First pic- the walls made from card

attachicon.gif1-unpainted.jpg

Painted up and with choice bits added from Scalelink castings. I painted the walls with washes of acrylic, with reference to my own garden shed which is lost in a grassy wilderness with a rusted up lawn mower inside :-)

attachicon.gif2-Kit of parts.jpg

More detail in the interior with guess what, plastruct pea sticks!

attachicon.gif3-Interior.jpg

Finally roofed up (that means something rather different in slate mining circles...) using Daler Murano charcoal paper and a Springside cat (who needs a bit more flash filing off)  The gutter and downspouts are too coarse, and I will replace tonight with slimmer ones...you really notice it in the photo, although in real life it looks OK.

attachicon.gif4-Shed three quarter.jpg

This was a lot of fun, and I have two more to build in my spare time.  If you want to see Geoff's layout, it's at http://radnorailways.blogspot.co.uk/ and is a delight, although all that will change with the addition of the huts, it will all be downhill from then on...

I will post the other stuff I have been building very soon, not that it can hold a candle to Speedy Downes, the fastest scalpel in the west! :jester:

cheers,

Iain

(edited for spelling)

Good to see you in action Iain. That's lovely modelling. The scale might be different but I doubt if anyone would argue about the skill on display! :fan:

Regards

Bill

Good to see you in action Iain. That's lovely modelling. The scale might be different but I doubt if anyone would argue about the skill on display! :fan:

Regards

Bill

Thank you Bill, you're a gentleman.  I guess it is obvious, but I should have said, it's in 4mm of course.  More photos of other things to come later!

cheers,

Iain

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

And back to Robinson and garden sheds... 

I've been building greenhouses recently, this one was for the smallholding of the Railway Modeller's corner fillers series. 

post-16840-0-42016300-1432669951_thumb.jpg

It's the Wills plastic kit, with some refinements. There's an L section on the edge of one shelf and the interior covered in brown and green scatter. The flowerpot is from Noch's pack of pots and the crate and sack are from my oddments tray. 

Later, more pots (Busch and Noch), sacks (from Ratio's pack of pallets, oildrums & sacks), and assorted plants (from horsehair, various scatters and my imagination) and you have a working greenhouse. 

post-16840-0-04386500-1432670548_thumb.jpg

post-16840-0-65361700-1432670549_thumb.jpg

post-16840-0-97285600-1432670550.jpg

I also use some of Langley's 4mm whitemetal accessories sometimes - this is from the Metcalfe 'Mornington Crescent' diorama. I think quite a few of these could complement a garden shed scene. 

post-16840-0-06104400-1432671079_thumb.jpg

Gaugemaster have also released a new laser-cut kit of a garden shed http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=GM453&r=1 - not cheap but looks good. I have a kit on my 'round tuit' pile and will let you know how I get on - but don't hold your breath!

• Like 7

White Rabbit: that looks mighty fine, I love the weathering and the plant details...also the goats and the sense of impending trouble! The plants are amazing, I even recognise some of them and I have an aversion to flowers (I'm serious, I really do, not just trying to get out of gardening :-) ) I have taken note of the Noch products, thanks for the tip.

Allan- looking forward to the pics before you've had any whisky tomorrow...it is looking amazing so far!  I always like the hints of the Olympian temple of creation in the background of your shots...in my case, from chaos comes...er...more chaos- while you have the whole genius thing going. Top work, old pal!

cheers,

Iain

• Like 3

Allan, those examples of Downes bravura girderage make me want to give up- so good, so accurate and square...and so fast!  I have been snowed under with work but right now I am doing a little fun project for a friend, building some garden sheds for his layout (Llangunllo)...I'm thoroughly enjoying pottering about with them and it strikes me as the sort of project that a beginner could do and get results very quickly.

It seems absurd posting these pics after the magnificence that has gone before, but I hope it might encourage some folk on here who are daunted by what seems God-like work from the boss.

First pic- the walls made from card

attachicon.gif1-unpainted.jpg

Painted up and with choice bits added from Scalelink castings. I painted the walls with washes of acrylic, with reference to my own garden shed which is lost in a grassy wilderness with a rusted up lawn mower inside :-)

attachicon.gif2-Kit of parts.jpg

More detail in the interior with guess what, plastruct pea sticks!

attachicon.gif3-Interior.jpg

Finally roofed up (that means something rather different in slate mining circles...) using Daler Murano charcoal paper and a Springside cat (who needs a bit more flash filing off)  The gutter and downspouts are too coarse, and I will replace tonight with slimmer ones...you really notice it in the photo, although in real life it looks OK.

attachicon.gif4-Shed three quarter.jpg

This was a lot of fun, and I have two more to build in my spare time.  If you want to see Geoff's layout, it's at http://radnorailways.blogspot.co.uk/ and is a delight, although all that will change with the addition of the huts, it will all be downhill from then on...

I will post the other stuff I have been building very soon, not that it can hold a candle to Speedy Downes, the fastest scalpel in the west! :jester:

cheers,

Iain

(edited for spelling)  (edited AGAIN for a dodgy link)

YEY! Iain's back !!!

If this is what all that plant food sprinkled on your breakfast does then carry on matey. 'Bout time we saw you here again to keep that Downes bloke on his toes LOL......

Hey Iain.......how about an Andy Pandy and Looby Loo in the shed? That'll give Allan summiat to think about !!!!

( liking it all really )

That latest bridge from the Downes magic bench is amazing...lovely stonework and treatment thereof. One of the things that stands out about all this work with the bridges, (apart from the sheer class and talent) is consistency, the hallmark of a master.

Now, on to slightly less Olympian works. I have finally got round to photo-ing the 4mm scale 90's distribution depot- the brief was for a very sorry looking structure that hadn't had much care taken over it.  It's fully detailed internally and lit by 8 LED's. It's made in foamboard (Palight 3mm) with laminates of Wills profiled steel cladding.

here's the pics:

post-18033-0-26803100-1432825373.jpg

I felt it was important to depict the wire and pipe runs in these buildings along with motors for the doors. The fire extinguishers are scratch built from Evergreen section.

post-18033-0-51572700-1432825411.jpg

The LEDs run on bus wires, painted to look like more pipe runs.

post-18033-0-60956100-1432825491.jpg

The other end of the building has a covered truck loading bay, which seems to have come in for a lot of damage by trucks and rail traffic.

post-18033-0-64245400-1432825588.jpg

I made the logo up from something found on the internet, and the name Northwood is a nod to one of my railway modelling inspirations of old, Ken Northwood.

cheers,

Iain

• Like 4

That latest bridge from the Downes magic bench is amazing...lovely stonework and treatment thereof. One of the things that stands out about all this work with the bridges, (apart from the sheer class and talent) is consistency, the hallmark of a master.

Now, on to slightly less Olympian works. I have finally got round to photo-ing the 4mm scale 90's distribution depot- the brief was for a very sorry looking structure that hadn't had much care taken over it.  It's fully detailed internally and lit by 8 LED's. It's made in foamboard (Palight 3mm) with laminates of Wills profiled steel cladding.

here's the pics:

attachicon.gifDistribution Depot sml.jpg

I felt it was important to depict the wire and pipe runs in these buildings along with motors for the doors. The fire extinguishers are scratch built from Evergreen section.

attachicon.gif4-SAM_2637.JPG

The LEDs run on bus wires, painted to look like more pipe runs.

attachicon.gif1-SAM_2633.JPG

The other end of the building has a covered truck loading bay, which seems to have come in for a lot of damage by trucks and rail traffic.

attachicon.gif3-SAM_2664.JPG

I made the logo up from something found on the internet, and the name Northwood is a nod to one of my railway modelling inspirations of old, Ken Northwood.

cheers,

Iain

Told you he was back !

Nicely detailed Iain especially the broken glass in the front door.

Erm.....that wasn't Allan trying to get in by any chance was it ?

As I've posted in detail elsewhere during four loooong days of "beating the system" my modelling has had to be sidelined for a (hopefully)

short while and coming back to the Downes/Robinson adventure in modelling lifts my day thanks fellas :)

• Like 2

Border Control has been notified. Have a great week Allan! :sungum:

cheers,

Iain

OK guys, now for that P4 windmill project...who's got the Colron...

P4? Didn't know windmills came in broad gauge!

P4? Didn't know windmills came in broad gauge!

Sadly this one lost its sails a long time ago but they're still around !

post-20303-0-68447300-1432896734.jpg

• Like 1

Isn't that one of those Brunell Atmospheric Pumping Houses?

Oh! Stubby you've spoilt the surprise! You're quite right, it's the one right next to Starcross Station.

Oh! Stubby you've spoilt the surprise! You're quite right, it's the one right next to Starcross Station.

Used to have a nice litttle museum in telling the story of the atmospheric railway. Also had a small section of scale atmospheric rail powered by a vacuum cleaner. Shame it disappeared. I think it's an empty shell at the moment, but don't quote me on that.

• Like 1