"Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

Hey Grahame, whose kit is that? I think it could be suitably anglicised with say Wills slates etc.

Hi BlackRat,

It's made by Kibri ref.no. 9774. You could probably Anglisise it with little effort, so long as the Evangelists don't mind eh !

This is the real one for reference, I'm uncertain as to whether I will put the "greenery" around the door yet ?

Hope this helps :)

All the best and if you do decide to go for it I'd be interested to see an Anglocised version.

Grahamepost-20303-0-92763500-1427921751.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Last time I went to Pecorama around two years ago they were still on display. Only problem with the models is you can't see where the family bathrooms are, perhaps they were outside during this period?

Heard a story once about a young couple house hunting who went to see a little cottage in the country.

The elderly lady who lived there showed them around.

The young man fell in love with the place but the young lady wasn't so keen.

When questioned as to what was wrong she said,

"Well you showed us all over the place but I haven't seen a loo"!

The lady takes them to the bottom of the garden and shows them the loo.

"Well" says the young lady "I suppose it would for a while until we can get something better sorted.

There's just one problem; there's no lock on the door".

" My dear" says the old lady "I've lived here for 35 years and no one's ever stolen the bucket"!

• RMweb Premium

When house hunting with the then intended who felt untended and left (another story) I was hung over, hungry and bored. 

After the canteenth estate agents shop (pre internet), I was finally consulted by a lady in an estate agents in Kings Norton. "And what would make the prospective house perfect for you?" she asked

"is it a big garden, no garden, two bedrooms or more, or Gas Central Heating, or what?"

"An inside loo" says I, deadpan.

For some reason we were shown the door, and the ex Mrs proceeded to beat me up.

Regards

Ian

edit: typo

Edited by Landlord

New build just started today.

This is based on the Crown Hotel somewhere in Kent and I can promise you it will look nothing like it !

Already I've dropped a gable where there was one and added a window  where there wasn't.

Cheers.

Allan.

post-18579-0-44844300-1428262417_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-74233000-1428262431_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-67457600-1428262445_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-52477200-1428262468_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-61572800-1428262484_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Crown Hotel (ish)

Progress to date.

Tried out a new brick paper on this from Model Railway Scenery, what do you think ?

Cheers.

Allan

I think it could be good, there looks like there's quite a few colours in there. I'm not sure if it's the direct sunlight but in some photos it looks as if it could be too bright/colourful and would benefit from toning down a bit. Maybe a light dusting with a spray grey paint? (I'd try ModelMates spray dye). 

Also, I'm not sure it matches well with your roof. I do like your roofs but I just don't think it's right for this brickpaper (and windows). I'm not able to give you a reasoned, logical response, but something with this combination doesn't quite work for me. Sorry... 

This might be worth checking out. Pictures on the website.

Cheers.

Allan

About Weddings Latest Contact Brick Patterns and Wallpapers A selection of brick patterns and wall papers that can be used on websites and printed materials. All images are 3500 × 2333 px and 300dpi. Get the full set of 8 high resolution images for just £3.00 via PayPal. - See more at: http://www.gregbloor.co.uk/Resources/Brickwork.aspx#sthash.TnQZjQ68.dpuf

I'm no expert Allan but to my eye they look more of a modern brick, the different colours distract the balance between the dark windows and the weathered slat tiles. Perhaps a terracotta roof tile and white window frames. As I say I'm no expert and dare not tell a master how to do his job, but you did ask what do we think. Love your work, regards, Tex.  

(Please excuse the photo quality!)

Having spent the afternoon at an old friends house I decided to take these photographs of Bath Green Park Station whilst I was there.

The model was built by me back in about 2000/2001 for his S&DR layout and also featured in MRJ issue 137 in 2002. It's always enjoyable to re-visit and know it is still very much appreciated :)

Ok, it was "of its time" and models/methods have changed considerably since that time but it was fun making it.

Hope you enjoy it too ?

post-20303-0-99022900-1428601532_thumb.jpg

post-20303-0-30495000-1428601572_thumb.jpg

post-20303-0-71686400-1428601608_thumb.jpg

post-20303-0-40415800-1428601642_thumb.jpg

post-20303-0-44401200-1428601673_thumb.jpg

post-20303-0-41377700-1428601702_thumb.jpg

post-20303-0-36724600-1428601735_thumb.jpg

Footnote: it was fun brandishing a 30m tape measure over the diners on the concourse with my daughter at the time ! :)

Grahame

• Like 6

Thank you Allan, 'twas a small labour of love admittedly, however, my friend had been waiting for some years to have a model of the station and asked me if I would make it for him....gulp!!! :) mind you I always did like a challenge.

Anyway, here it is all these years later and each time we meet I'm still thanked for doing it which pleases me to see it brought him pleasure. Ironic really considering I'm more of a GWR type and still working on the other Bath Station ( the proper one, as I tell him LOL)

Meanwhile back to the drawing board eh!

Happy modelling Allan ........happy modelling

Grahame

• Like 3

Thank you Allan, 'twas a small labour of love admittedly, however, my friend had been waiting for some years to have a model of the station and asked me if I would make it for him....gulp!!! :) mind you I always did like a challenge.

Anyway, here it is all these years later and each time we meet I'm still thanked for doing it which pleases me to see it brought him pleasure. Ironic really considering I'm more of a GWR type and still working on the other Bath Station ( the proper one, as I tell him LOL)

Meanwhile back to the drawing board eh!

Happy modelling Allan ........happy modelling

Grahame

Grahame, I remember the article in the MRJ and being very impressed with the model. As Allan says, I would think twice about getting Petra to build it :) ...Really fine modelling of the highest calibre.

cheers,

Iain

Show off! Allan, will you please just rest on your laurels and let the rest of us catch up, for goodness sake!  Goes without saying that the Crown Hotel is another tour de force from the Downes bench, (or Mount Olympus to give it the proper title). Now stop, please....how is it that you get more accurate and clever as time goes on- I dont!?

Seriously, brilliant work, you and Grahame have supplied a mighty good blast of inspiration with these last two superb models,

off underground now, away from all the brilliance...

cheers,

Iain

Grahame, I remember the article in the MRJ and being very impressed with the model. As Allan says, I would think twice about getting Petra to build it :) ...Really fine modelling of the highest calibre.

cheers,

Iain

Good morning Iain,

Praise indeed from both of the masters, thank you. I'd think twice about asking Petra too, I don't think even the Blue Peter dog would have attempted it ! LOL ( sorry!)

Seriously now, the person who commissioned it had been waiting for such a long time to have the terminus built and having spent many years getting models made for one specific day of operation on the S&D I couldn't see him let done. Yes, it was a challenge and a real monster of a station to build (approx. 4' long x 2' wide). One of the interesting parts was the re-making of the stanchions due to unacceptable original castings. I made a master and then set about casting something like 30? ( can't remember now) using plumbers lead. The whole project took about a year to complete as it was fitted around other "stuff" but I did enjoy the challenge.

Next ! :))

Enjoy and happy modelling eh!

Grahame

• Like 2

(Please excuse the photo quality!)

Having spent the afternoon at an old friends house I decided to take these photographs of Bath Green Park Station whilst I was there.

The model was built by me back in about 2000/2001 for his S&DR layout and also featured in MRJ issue 137 in 2002. It's always enjoyable to re-visit and know it is still very much appreciated :)

Ok, it was "of its time" and models/methods have changed considerably since that time but it was fun making it.

Hope you enjoy it too ?

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Footnote: it was fun brandishing a 30m tape measure over the diners on the concourse with my daughter at the time ! :)

Grahame

Incredible modelling.

OY! Iain,

.....going underground!!!

You're not modelling a Welsh slate mine now are you ? I'd love to see that one :)

Or is it a tube station hmmmm ? :))

You can run but ya can't hide....one sniff of that solvent and we'll soon find you !

Cheers

Grahame

On a more somber note....

This was done at the time of my divorce! ( no sympathy votes please!) It was a real focus for me, either go and drown your sorrows, an easy way out but leaves a really sore head next day, or get your head into something constructive....guess what I did ? Seemed to do the trick and saved myself quite a bit of money into the bargain LOL :))

Even Herr Beethoven helped belting out his symphonies in the background!

Cheers

Grahame

p.s. We're still good friends !

• Like 3

Grahame,  that is a fantastic piece of modelling. I love all the architectural detailing - did you have all the balustrades etc specially cast?

I sometimes think about modelling Huddersfield Station, but think about the sheer cost of getting all the architectural elements, columns etc built.

Grahame, that is a fantastic piece of modelling. I love all the architectural detailing - did you have all the balustrades etc specially cast?

I sometimes think about modelling Huddersfield Station, but think about the sheer cost of getting all the architectural elements, columns etc built.

Thank you Freebs,

The balustrades, I'll let you into a little secret...... They took some finding but eventually I used some ship modellers turned wooden pieces, and luckily to the same scale and proportions. Much cheaper than buying or having pieces cast ( although I did contemplate doing my own masters just like the station roof columns).

Huddersfield Station would also be a brute but not impossible so long as you've the space to put it in, assuming it's 4mm scale. As for the rest it is all scratch built with the exception of the etched overall roof and Porte cochere which are from Alan Gibsons etchings.

The Corinthian style portico wouldn't be too hard if modelled in the same vein as Bath. If you've got a decent plan and photographs to work to its all possible, jus take your time. I suppose coming from an architectural background I'm lucky that I understand and enjoy buildings of all descriptions.

Go one give it a go !

Happy modelling ! :)

Grahame

Edited by bgman