"Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

Good grief.  I take back my earlier comment about French TV.  Who actually watches that stuff?

(I am excepted, of course, because I merely clicked on the link out of curiosity etc etc …. ! )

:jester:

15 seconds was enough for me and that was pushing it!

• RMweb Premium

"Maybe  in the future model railway exhibitions will be held in bus shelters just to take advantage of the built in back scenes"

Aye. The SECC. In terms of its architecture it really is just a bus shelter..... 

( Perhaps a bit harsh, its a good show and there were many fine layouts this year. ) 

• 3 weeks later...

Got a TV show that leaves Family Bathrooms in the cold.

Say Yes To The Dress.

What you have here while half the World starves is right in your face American brides-to-be and their well over-the-top rich mothers ( all botox and plastic trying to look younger than their daughters )  spending anything up to 25 grand just for a a dress on steroids that will only be worn once then a sold six months at the most later to help pay for the divorce.

Every other sentence begins with "Hi guys !" with endless exclamations of "Oh my God ! " thrown in for good measure. It's all me, me this and me, me that where one over spoilt brat wanted to look like a "Bohemian Goddess" but with a face looking more like an undercooked hamburger and size ten dresses road blocked by a regular diet of Big Macs and jumbo fries she sure had her work cut out.

Can't wait for the next sickly episode !

Excited.

Allan

Edited by allan downes

• RMweb Premium

Now all we need is Ian Robinson to come out of the woodwork with some suitably inane TV programme dug out from a Welsh lead mine on the 'Jermy Kyle ate my Hamster's sister'  genre to go head to head with Allan's TV research.

Isn't it about time that you put down the remote, and built another windmill?

I lived for years without a TV, mainly because I worked such stupid hours, that by the time I had finished, the most exciting thing on TV was Central Job Finder. I never did find a job through it!

Regards

Ian

After a long day at work I usually have some more work to do in the evening, usually for at least an hour, keeps me away from the TV and so I listen to music. After I finished tonight, went out in the garage to work on a project for about half an hour wearing bluetooth headphones connected to music on my phone. 9 o'clock settled down to watch the TT, will be followed by Mock the Week at 10. Nope not watching any of that American dross.

I do know he programme you mention as the youngest daughter watches it -bl***y terrible!

I don't actually watch these programmes,  I stumble upon them as I search the channels for something non American and English to watch ( favourite. How It's Made ) then curiosity takes over, ruins everything as bimbo FBI agents fill the room with gunfire, or Honey Boo Boo makes me wretch all over the living room carpet. It's a kind of self imposed masochism I would say  but I do find a certain ammount of pleasure knowing that these God awful people live 4,000 miles away and I'm not about to bump into one and be greeted with the most insincere " Howdy doody neighbour, have a nice day " from some  overweight and excitable  guy who'd  pull a colt 45 and fill me full of holes as look at me.

Think I'll stay with Family Bathrooms.... 

• RMweb Premium

Hi Allan. I'm afraid it doesn't grab me. To my eyes, the render doesn't look right and clashes with the stonework both in colour and texture. Also, I wonder, shouldn't the unrendered sections be less weathered as they were protected (partially?) by the render?

I've never tried, so don't know if I could do any better but have wondered about trying something I suspect Gordon & Maggie Gravett did on Pempoul - using finely textured paint applied over the stonework, blending in with less abrupt changes of colour and texture. I've not asked them but looking at the building in the snap below, I think that was their technique. GreenScene do a White Render in their textured paint range, though I think I'd prefer to use Humbrol/Revell acrylic paint and baby powder when I get round to trying it - though that's in 4mm not 7mm scale, so you might be OK. (Drop me a PM if you do want to try it, I have a pot or two around). 

post-16840-0-56133900-1497297882_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I have just been informed by a client of mine that Iain Robinson has given up model making altogether and has now taken up another hobby and therefore will not be subscribing to this thread any more and, as one of the greatest modellers of all time with an unmatchable wit and way with words he shall be sorely missed.

So, I'm not sure whether I should carry on with this thread or close it altogether.

Advice please forum boss, Andy Y.

Cheers.

Allan.

Thank you for informing us Allan, it's a great shame in all sorts of ways and I can understand your concerns.

To close this thread and lose you too would be an even worse loss for many of us who follow your excellent models. May I ask that you take time to consider keeping the thread open as it is very inspirational in my opinion.

( If you do decide to close the thread I will start a petition to get it reopened !!!! )

Hankie at the ready !

Grahame

Sad news, please keep it going as it even has a life when you don't post, where else can we rant about the rubbish on daytime tele!

Your models are still inspirational so we like to see them too.

Martyn

Well, what can I say gentleman. It's you guys that made this thread what it is and if you would like to see it continue then, so be it. A great honour indeed.

As it happens then, I've just started on a new micro layout - an industrial theme so no chocolate box cottages ! - and at the moment experimenting with various rendered wall finishes so will keep you posted as soon as I've something worth posting.

So thanks guys, I really do appreciate your support.

Cheers.

Allan.

• Like 7

I spoke to Iain a few weeks ago - it's sad news he's given the modelling game up (but after hearing why, I can understand) 

We definitely don't want you to give up too, so please - keep us informed of your impossibly brilliant building projects!

• RMweb Gold

I have just been informed by a client of mine that Iain Robinson has given up model making altogether and has now taken up another hobby and therefore will not be subscribing to this thread any more and, as one of the greatest modellers of all time with an unmatchable wit and way with words he shall be sorely missed.

So, I'm not sure whether I should carry on with this thread or close it altogether.

Advice please forum boss, Andy Y.

Cheers.

Allan.

This is really sad news because as a (young-ish) newbie, I've really enjoyed reading through this thread, and the pair of you inspired me to have a go at building the the stone bridge for Oak Road. In fact, through your encouragement, I decided to improve the bridge and make it more like the area I was intending it to be from.....

post-18825-0-98584500-1497619403_thumb.jpg

I've also been able to go on and do this...

post-18825-0-18980500-1497619464_thumb.jpg

....so please.....keep this thread going!

Cheers

Mike

• Like 8

So, since we are going to carry on regardless I would rather  that this thread is not all about me but supported by others by way of posting their own modelling projects such as the superb example above posted by Mike.

I'm not the only egoistic modeller on the forum, surely !

Cheers.

Allan

• Like 2

So, since we are going to carry on regardless I would rather  that this thread is not all about me but supported by others by way of posting their own modelling projects such as the superb example above posted by Mike.

Cheers.

Allan

Allan,

I'm very pleased to hear you're happy to keep the thread open ( huge sigh of relief! ).

Carrying on regardless is an excellent idea and I think you've just made 108 followers of the thread happy too.

You say " egotistic " , NO never but mind the door frame on the way out matey ! :) ( said in the best possible taste )

Yep Carry On Regardless Allan !

ATB

Grahame

Allan,

I'm very pleased to hear you're happy to keep the thread open ( huge sigh of relief! ).

Carrying on regardless is an excellent idea and I think you've just made 108 followers of the thread happy too.

You say " egotistic " , NO never but mind the door frame on the way out matey ! :) ( said in the best possible taste )

Yep Carry On Regardless Allan !

ATB

Grahame

Glad you are likely to keep this thread going as it was one of the few I followed from the beginning.

Will you keep the same title of tweak it?

Keep on posting and we'll keep on following.......

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I'd like to think that Iain knows the immense legacy he has left behind will still be an inspiration to modellers for years to come. Maybe those who are in touch could pass on our sincere thanks ?

Edited by Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

Cheers.

Allan

I'm so pleased you're going to keep it running. I've pinched ideas from from both Iain's website and yours and you only need to look through the more recent pages of my thread to see your influence. I'm sure there's some brilliant modellers on this site so let's see if anyone can pick up the reins on Iain's horse and continue giving you a good run for your money  :good:

Ok you want contributions well here goes but no windmills or cathedrals, this is after all the back end of the fens. The water tower has Wills bits at the top with the frame soldered up from scrap brass.

post-12773-0-68815000-1497647509_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-71684300-1497647515_thumb.jpg

I'm building the worlds smallest mpd based on a superb photo in Railway Bylines of Upwell where the trams were serviced. Water crane has also been scratchbuilt, waiting for hose to be added.

I've also been putting in the walkways across the line, made from Ratio parts with a bit of infill added. It will need to be fully bedded in.

post-12773-0-14796300-1497647523_thumb.jpg

Photos not great as they were taken with my phone.

Martyn

Edited by mullie
  • Like 4