farren’s workbench. Page 15 Going modern well mostly

farren

• RMweb Gold

The latest victim, just received a new jubilee the model was a Hong Kong model which had been renamed Mars. Though Mars was a LFB maybe another bash for the future can’t waste a set of name plates now can we.

I have just converted the model to a domeless engine 5609 Gilbert & Ellie Islands with the Stanier high sided tender which as been hanging around for some time now though the rivet transfers are in the post and should arrive in a couple of weeks. As for the tender which came with Mars maybe re-spray it black and it can go behind a black 5 I have in the box of bits. 

B79AA027-418F-46A4-B3D6-B7E987F19B41.jpeg

17F79675-66C1-499B-889A-6CBBB042F1DB.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

a little more progress on the Jubilee, but still waiting for the rivet transfers.

so in the mean time have been thinking of a new layout and have ordered some new books one of them is a book on stations one of which is Chorley which seems to tick  some  boxes. goods yard, check. engine shed, check. and a nice station. though its just a twin line station it dose have a junction which runs in the middle of the goods yards. a bridge to the left which would make a good scenic Break. on the left tho goods building could also provide a break.

The image as a pale yellow scaled 14' x 4' rectangular added to represent the main layout minus tables off scene.   

some sidings well need to be omitted and the length will need to be shortened slightly to allow the station end to be included.. 

Untitled-1@0,75x.png

7ACAC37D-C1E5-4A5F-A784-091C14B9C687.jpeg

Edited by farren
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Finally the rivet transfers turned up from the USA so have made some progress.

I think I’ve made a mistake somewhere, as I’ve always thought the Stanier high sided tender was a bit of a dog when attached to the Jubilee from the picture I’ve seen but it actually suites the jubilee. what do you think.

The lining needs doing along with adding the boiler handrails and cab steps which are painted and lined ready.

A7D044AA-8C77-4376-8053-666E301355C0.jpeg

Edited by farren
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Well it’s pretty close I think. The hand rails still need adding but you get the idea. Don’t now if it’s me but I think the drawing is of slightly, it could just be the camera angle but I’d say the tender needs to be a mm higher think I’ll leave alone though I can live with it. 

after putting a rule along the top it’s pretty close so must be the angle 

2DBB625F-8985-4587-A2DA-0BDDD3F939C7.jpeg

0F13C881-1F52-4914-A734-ECC2A1051BA2.jpeg

Edited by farren
Checking the tender hight
  • Like 4

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I was going to just post on the Chorley page from now but two of the models are not L&YR so thought I’d use this topic page to try and keep Chorley less clotted of none L&YR LNWR related models. 

The last few days I’ve been working on models that I was never fully happy with. The Fowler 4p 2-6-4t limousine has been stripped back to its main parts. The plastic Donor body as had extra plastic removed to allow windows to fit better. Rebuilt and given a new number seen based to Chorley station allowing a bit of models license though probably did run through Chorley. However having problems with the dcc chip at the moment. Get a error code. It runs but have no speed control other then go and stop. With a overload message if the speed is adjusted. 

the second is the flatiron stripped repainted, now with a High level motor gearbox fitted and runs though pickups need fitting. The lining is done on both the front and back along with the side shown the other side still needs doing. 

The L&YR class 25 not sure if anything else as been done since last update on the Chorley page. but I I like the model so it’s getting a second showing here. However I did blow a zen black chip in it which was a little annoying! 

EBAD625A-BF5F-416D-A32D-C3932FD9A18E.jpeg

3F31C46E-94D5-48CF-8110-5DED935E6851.jpeg

D38BC7BC-66F9-452C-9666-FC7BCB1876BF.jpeg

Edited by farren
  • Like 5

Good evening Farren. 

I’ve always liked the limo cab on the Fowler 264t, surprised Hornby havnt added that variation to their range over the years.
In my case I altered one years ago with the aid of Perseverance etched sides, a number were shedded at Saltley, my local shed. I note your model Jubillees, I am currently modelling a number of ex LMS 460s. A Royal Scot using my usual combination of Hornby body and comet chassis. In this case. It has a portescap motor. It purrs along. In addition I have renumbered a Bachmann jubilee short firebox to 45565 Victoria.This locomotive is a favourite of mine. Two mainline bodies are awaiting chassis builds. One will be 45699 Galatea, the other as yet undecided,  I don’t normally model preserved locomotives, but Galatea was a regular through my modelled station, and features in a memorable trip in Terry Essery’s  book on firing at Saltley. I was going to number the latter as 45572 Eire another regular, but the mainline body is a long firebox version so one of my other short version locos will be renamed/ numbered. There is a great article in a current magazine by Tim Shackleton on how he has improved the latter Bachmann model Kashmir in LMS red to represent Eire in 1949 still in crimson but with early BR numbers. I fear another jubilee will have to be purchased and the mainline body assume an appropriate identity. ( I’ve just seen the price of the current Bachmann model hence my decision to renumber name a current member of my fleet.

Lastly nice lining on the flatiron another type that may yet be added to my roster

best wishes Brian

Edited by 46256
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Sorry Brain missed your reply, I’ve seen a few people use model body’s with the comet chassis, and have wanted to try that but I’ve never quite got on with the valve gear. I’ve tried multiple times and well basically messed it up! However today might be the day to change all that. I returned to one of my Princess Royals 6208 it’s a Pro-Scale model. Though the chassis is now full on Comet. Not finished yet but the big hurdle as been overcome! Yippee!!! The Valve gear is all fitted tested and runs like a dream. Really quite pleased. Just the bogies and pony to do. I’ve decided to do what Hornby dose with theirs and ordered a flangeless set of wheels for it of fleebay. New body fixing screws and new number transfers. 
the paint is being left alone my first try at bow pen work…, only try. 

D6C3EBD3-1F7B-428D-82D1-178AA285664A.jpeg

5E802E8E-98C5-4D9A-AE46-C35E289BAEA7.png

8B11DBCA-E5D0-4727-BF33-D83AE952BC68.jpeg

Edited by farren
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I thought so this is the same loco as the beginning of this topic  page. So it’s taken 9 years and one month to build hopefully this is close to the end.

can anyone beat that for a build?

Edited by farren
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hello farren, I’ve made any number of Comet chassis and the only one I gave up on is the Princess. This was some twenty years ago caused , more by  my lack of expertise , at that time, , rather than any shortcomings in the kit. The result,  all of my Princess class have Hornby chassis, albeit modified by me with the distinctive apologies can’t think of the right term, the stretchers over the rear bogie under the firebox. It’s therefore nice to see a completed comet valve gear, and makes me wish I had persevered back then. Best wishes Brian

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

The body both on the tender and loco are all screwed down now. The wires from the much butchered donor Hornby tender chassis are connected to the loco so it runs. It’s a bit scatty, I think the loco needs some lead weight adding but how much? The last thing I don’t want to do is overload the motor now I’ve finally got it running. Hopefully the flangeless wheels turn up soon. Also fitted the motion Bracket and changed the reversing rod to a straight one along with removing a couple of bits not on one 6205 so that looks better. And managed to find a new unused 6201 on the net which will go nicely with 6203/5/8/12 and what ever the second kit ends up being when I sort the wheel splasher out. 

A88FBF58-DCB0-45E7-BA1C-1E595399A473.jpeg

AABE2AEB-243B-4A33-9477-23060A9EEFFF.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well the wheels still haven’t turned up and for the last week I’ve been stripping a chest of drawers by hand which was fun but I was determined it wasn’t going to beat me. Work as come to halt on that well waiting for the stain to arrive.

So have built a small jig to help me in the next project. Some peco LNWR 50’ coaches,  kits are here paints have been ordered and a Bow pen turned up on eBay so snapped that up. hopefully the jig will aid in the lining. Any tips are welcome. Pic of the jig it’s basic but hopefully you get the idea. 

BF0BEE44-7D1C-42A0-B1ED-F221E6C1FC1F.jpeg

FEC1BAA5-072F-446C-B214-8969CB808832.jpeg

916F07C3-196F-4B82-AF92-A23233B7046F.jpeg

Edited by farren
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Here’s a photo of one LNWR coach Dapol. The livery is a right nightmare! It’s been stripped at lest 4times and one side might be 5! Still not happy though at 3ft it’s not too bad. However would like to to better! 

any tips would be very  helpful and greatly appreciated.

Paints used are railmatch. I think I obviously need more practice with the Bow Pen. I have a feeling the weather isn’t helping as the paint seems to be drying to fast and the bow pen needs a clean after one load of paint, is this normal. 

now no laughing but here’s a picture. 

roof is only in undercoat. 

9ABFBC82-A584-446C-968B-75EAA49D8400.jpeg

Edited by farren
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I would leave the lining until it cools down a bit. Have you tried acrylics for the lining? Tamiya ones flow very well and finer lines can be achieved with them and a decent bow pen. 

Baz

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Barry O said:

I would leave the lining until it cools down a bit. Have you tried acrylics for the lining? Tamiya ones flow very well and finer lines can be achieved with them and a decent bow pen. 

Baz

Thank you Baz.

Simple Answer, No.

Have now ordered a yellow colour to practice with when it’s cooler. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I’d ordered some new paint but ordered the wrong one! Oh well re-ordered some more. In the meantime I had a look at my Illuminated history of LNWR coaches, and dugout the laptop. With the idea of doing a etched coach, thought I’d start simple. Just do the sides and use what’s available to order where possible. Going along the lines of a mixed LNWR rake as what I’ve seen that seems what happened. So decided to go for a cove roof corridor composite 57’ Diagram 134. I have 3 Dapol kits and two already made 247 kit one being a dia 133 and whatever the other is I forget now but it’s written on it. I’ll probably cheat and go for the LMS livery. A bit more to do but the basic are there. The blue line is to aid with the Glass when fitting. ( if it works) 

7658FA7A-3305-4984-913E-7AD7612D8CFD.jpeg

comdia134a.jpg

Edited by farren

• farren changed the title to farren’s workbench. Bottom of page 10, 57’ LNWR coach dia 134
  • RMweb Gold

Well the coach has been sent in to be etched, only amendment needed was the blue dotted line was changed to a solid blue line. As the breaks (white dots) where too small to etch, and the size couldn’t be altered as in Adobe the white breaks are not  a thing just a gap. From the program side I wasn’t too worried as pretty much spent 3years using it for my degree. So if I’ve messed  it up it’ll be on the measuring front, everything seems to fit so be fun to see the etching when it gets here.  

put in a decent order at Wizard models for most the extra parts needed to finish the coach. As much as I’d like to paint it in LNWR livery I’m just not up to the job considering the expense of the project so LMS it is. 

Hello Farren, quite excited to see how your etches turn out and look forward to seeing the finished result.  I’m just embarking on the same journey with a 42’ radial underframe but my learning curve with Adobe Illustrator looks to a lot steeper than yours.  Wish they had taught me useful things like that in my degree!

Just a couple of questions.  Firstly ventilators above doors/windows.  The kits I’ve built so far have them on the etch, is this something you can buy separately?  Secondly just worth a quick check around how the mouldings around the fixed windows are treated (not really sure whether they are recessed or raised….).  Know I should have asked this question before you sent the drawing off but only just looked at the post in detail….

Have a quick look at bottom of Page 4 of my workbench (just below yours on the Kitbuilding & Scratchbuilding index), there is a good example of a typical etch which shows ventilators / window treatment quite well.

Edited by Citadel

• RMweb Gold

Yes some kits do have vents on them, good point. I have to admit I was in two minds about that. My first coachs kit I built was from 247 developments which did LNWR coaches many moons ago. would need to double check the dia numbers (bad memory on such things) but with the kit you got separate vets for the doors  I am sure I have some left to use.
For  the windows you cut some plan plasticard to the right size. Then carefully draw a saw-blade along it to give you the vent shape, for the next one I’ll probably just add them to the art work. 

if you look at my art work the black is the metal untouched. Obviously you can’t add metal so you need to start at the highest point on your drawing.  
Then anything recessed is in red. You can only etch one level from either side. Anything white the metal as been eaten away fully. So windows and holes are white. 

the blue lines are the same as the red but are on the opposite side of the art work. So things like fold lines or recess when you want to solder components together. If on the art work a blue and red line cross the result will be a hole so they must never cross. (I’m sure you know all this) 

on LNWR coaches around the windows you need a second recess. But this can’t be done, so looking back at the drawing you can see the long black bits with windows in them. The holes are 1 mm smaller all round ( ie minus 2 from horizontal and vertical measurements) compared to the main body sides windows. When fixed to the inner side of the coach. 

To do this is relatively easily, command c. Command v will give you a copy (needs to be highlighted). Delete all but the windows this will keep the windows at the right spacing. Then decrease the windows separately,  (to do this you click on one window at a time go to the property tab should be on the right side of the screen just of the art bord in there you’ll fined the size of the highlighted item reduce by said amount. It reduces from the centre of the item so won’t effect the position of the window related to each other this way. you can then draw a rectangle around all the windows, small enough to fit the coach side. Group the work you just done.

you can place the work over  you coach sides. By changing the Oapacity of the work you’ll be able to see if the everything lines up. 

If you need more help let me know and I can explain with the aid of screen shots from Adobe. 

I hope this helps and I look forward to your results. 

Edited by farren
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Citadel said:

Hello Farren, quite excited to see how your etches turn out and look forward to seeing the finished result.  I’m just embarking on the same journey with a 42’ radial underframe but my learning curve with Adobe Illustrator looks to a lot steeper than yours.  Wish they had taught me useful things like that in my degree!

Just a couple of questions.  Firstly ventilators above doors/windows.  The kits I’ve built so far have them on the etch, is this something you can buy separately?  Secondly just worth a quick check around how the mouldings around the fixed windows are treated (not really sure whether they are recessed or raised….).  Know I should have asked this question before you sent the drawing off but only just looked at the post in detail….

Have a quick look at bottom of Page 4 of my workbench (just below yours on the Kitbuilding & Scratchbuilding index), there is a good example of a typical etch which shows ventilators / window treatment quite well.

Sorry forgot to quote you but have replied. Oh yes I have been watching your fabulous work on your page love the painting you achieve. Partly why I had a go at the LNWR livery and for a bit of variety. 

Edited by farren
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

well after reading a little last night I've found a cheaper place to try for etching, for the same cost I can do a A3 size etch. so this well take a while but have started a WCJS D83 TPO built from two 32 TPOs dating from 1892 survive till 1962 no 3210 later 30207. the bodies where 8ft wide with offset gangway.

coaches .jpg

30224E31-6A30-408A-A705-D5DEFE127003.jpeg

89C4E792-0E5A-41BB-B212-146751E06ACB.jpeg

Edited by farren
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

well a bit more work on the PTO, the net is isn't to bad, the rope part of the net might have to be made from string. or omitted altogether though I not keen on that idea, there are a few pieces I've done more then needed in case I have a butter fingers day.

Screenshot 2022-06-30 at 20.49.08.png

Edited by farren
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well the etch is here along with a lot of goodies from wizards models. After a quick look  there’s a few mistakes but this is a learning curve for me. The handle holes are too big. Next time I’ll go for half etch from the back with those and I think I left the outline on the holes active witch made them bigger. Not a total disaster a little solder all will be fine. Some of the windows are a little of set the worsts is about two mill very annoying I think working from one side and working from the last window has caused this (laziness). I know next time always work from the from one edge (datum) the overall size seems spot on has dose the beeding. The ends are pretty good maybe hight .5 mm too high 

so I would give mayself 7 out of ten. At least it looks like a LNWR 57’ Diagram 134 and have learnt some things to keep a eye on my next coach designs. 
so to be fair it’ll give me a very reasonable representation on the my layout. 

for my next etch’s I am thinking of skipping the coach chassis and using the comets ones saves time and costs considering space vs price on the sheet. 

70BBD815-7F5E-47EF-97E8-FB93FBE09C56.jpeg

4F9B27AD-0D56-4E97-9335-BC1613609994.jpeg

Edited by farren
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Hi I was wondering if anyone has any photos of the WC&JS No 186 PTO li particular the pick up net and drop arms. I am currently working on etching drawings for WCJS D83 and need some photos to draw the workings better.

Also dose anyone know what would have run with the D83? I presume what ever it was would have been built around a standard diagram any help gratefully received images of the two coaches and of work so far. Dose anyone know what the news paper set show in the drawings are? in one of image below is.
Was it windows or just used like a bord with pasted front pages on the display? It’s a section that sticks out by 4inchs and the etch drawings show it ready but are the sections windows or something? 

part of the net rigging is drawn though I am thinking of using the etch as a aid  and building it with brass rod. If that makes sense.

The drawings also contain a new drawing of a CK D 134, (top of pc screen shot. First etch was incorrect  on hight due to curvature (idiot mistake) forgot to use path measure instead of outline. 

DA9482F7-9ADE-4EC5-815C-CDADD5916DA9.jpeg

AB264D06-2080-4D6A-8627-8EDA383A962A.jpeg

080313AA-CCC3-46AE-A58C-C2288B922B61.jpeg

Edited by farren
  • Like 1